Aiming for Adelaide

Guest taffgmg

Guest taffgmg

Just come across this excellent website.

My wife and I and our 13month old son are looking at moving out to Adelaide, hopefully next year but have done next to nothing in terms of investigating what we need to do.

Mainly because we have been quite content in Exeter and because we dont really know where to start even though I assume I have an added advantage in that my wife is an Australian, born and bred in Murray Bridge, SA.

We met about six years ago and since then have been living in Exeter in the UK. Exeter is a fantastic place to live and we have a relatively good lifestyle but my wife would like to get back home, we are both fed up with the weather, the traffic, the expense and the politics over here and with a growing family a house move is a must in the next few years and house prices have gone ballistic down here with the average house price in the area being 6-8+ times the average salary. In short We would have to sell our souls to move.

If the aussie real estate web sites can be believed a tidy house in or around Adelaide is a possibility without having to work 24x7 to pay for it.

I look forward to spending more time working through the various forums picking up on all of your expertise. Thankyou in advance.

Must admit the thought of giving up a perfectly good job and arriving in a country jobless and potentially homeless is a little concerning but from several visits to the inlaws out there the plus sides would seem to outweight the perceived risks...........

Need to pull my finger out now and get the visa application in.

Cheers :)

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi Taff and welcome to the site. Good luck with your visa journey ... and postings on here. All very friendly and helpful.

Guzzler would like to know where in Wales are you from? He is a Ponty boy ....

Regs

Sas

Guest dglamoore

Hi and welcome to the site :) Good luck with getting started with your visa :wubclub:

Whereabouts in Exeter are you - this is where we lived for 10 years until April :o

Lisa:v_SPIN:

Guest taffgmg

Thanks for the welcome.

I'm originally from Pembrokeshire where I lived until I left home and then spent about about 15 years in and around West London before moving to Exeter. We currently live in Heavitree near the top of Magdalen Road near the centre of Exeter and love it as we dont need to use the car very much as we can walk just about everywhere.

If you left in April you will have missed the opening of the new Princesshay Shopping Centre......not bad....much better than it looked. Trouble is Exeter has been absolutely heaving every time we have gone into the city since it opended.

I'll have to admit I have spent a fair few hours today wandering through most of the Forums on here and its really inspired us to get our fingers out and get applying for that visa especially as the opinion appears to be that house prices are rising quite quickly out there where they seem to have stagnated a little here.

Have been out to Adelaide a few times with the wife visiting the inlaws and love it as it seems to have all the things a city has without being too crowded and dirty. More like a big town. We even got married out there and had our wedding reception at Mount Lofty Lookout.

The work thing is going to be a big hurdle for me I think and is the one big thing I am worried about...........

Guest nikkiandlee

HI Hope you find the forum as useful as we do!!!!

We are concerned about the job thing, aparently for me (a Hairdresser) it shouldn't be too much of a problem but Lee is the main bread winner (hairdressing does NOT PAY) :).

Its not our thing to leave one job without one already to go to, very worrying to say the least.

We are going to look while in this country (although it doesn't seem that aus employers will take us seriously) hopefully once we have our visa ( god willing) we will stand a better chance. I have heard of people having telephone interviews and gaining employment prior to setting their feet on Australian soil, so fingers crossed.

What is you profession?

Nikki

Guest taffgmg

I work in IT and have done since I left Uni but from what I have read having a proper job like , builder, plumber, electrician, mechanic etc would be much more usefull when trying to find work out in Oz. A friend of my wife who is an Aussie married a Canadian who also works in IT but is very much more technical and up to date than me and when they moved back to Adelaide it took him nearly two years to get a job in IT. When I search the job forums Adelaide never gets many hits. Most of the IT work seems to be in Melbourne or Sydney or the Gold Coast else I'm looking in the wrong place.

You have my sympathies and I agree it is not easy to give up a job without one to go to. The ideal would be to have a job you leave but from reading this forum and others it would appear to be more the exception than the norm.

When do you plan to go out to Adelaide?? How long has the visa process taken for you?

Guest nikkiandlee

HIya,

Lee is also in IT he is a project manager, we too have found a lot more jobs in Melbourne etc, so on that basis will move wherever he can find work the ideal obviously would be adelaide as thats where we have set our hearts, i suppose you have to be a little flexable as we are moving to the other side of the world :)

I am just getting the last bits of my TRA together then will send all to the solicitors to get it all certifyed! So we have a bit of a way to go yet!!

its a good thing your wife is from Aus, you have some inside info :)

Nikki

Guest Django

Hi geezer,

I'm a West Londoner. I see you spent a bit of time there. I loved it so much I moved to Essex then Lincs.:biglaugh:

Welcome to the madhouse. Good luck with the visa. With your situation it should be pretty straight forward. Thats as straight forward as an Ozzy visa can be. ;):biglaugh::biglaugh:

Pete

Hi Taff, and welcome to the site! We lived in Ceredigion for 3 years before moving back to Birmingham then out to Adelaide at the end of July! I know it would be a big worry to move out here without finding a job first but I guess if you're making the big leap to move to the other side of the world then you might just as well leap that little bit further and worry about a job when you get here! We took the attitude that if Richie couldn't find a job in his profession when we got here then he would just find a job doing ANYTHING until the right one came along. Luckily we'd been here less that 2 weeks when he found a job, purely by knocking on doors and putting himself about. Granted, he works in car body repairs and there's a lot of his work about but the principle is the same! We've been here two months now and we absolutely love it so far, much prefer sunny Aus to rainy England any day! It's true that you get a lot more house for your money, but the "experts" will tell you that Adelaide is the next boom town and house prices are rising accordingly. Whatever you decide, good luck!

Liz and Rich

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Taff,

It's a lot of hard work all the paper filling and stuff, My wife and I started the ball rolling with the TRA end of June and got recognition at the beginning of September. Then the fun started waiting for the web site to come on line for S.A sponsorship and when it did my trade was not on the list! Fortunatly it was a mistake on their behalf and it was amended on 4 Oct so we are today lodging the sponsorship forms. (well the agency is)

All our Visa forms are waiting to go!

We are off to Adelaide end of Jan and into Feb for a holiday, cant wait to go back.

Will keep you posted as things progress.

All the best

Martin and Val :)

Guest jen&ian

Hi Taff,

Just wanted to say welcome to the site. My husband is in IT also, luckily for us his boss here was so keen to keep him on he will still be working for him on a contracting basis for at least a year which gives us time to find something decent:v_SPIN:. I'd say you are at a definite advantage in that you already know the Adelaide area pretty well, we've never been, I'm afraid a reccie just wasn't in our budget:nah:. Anyway best of luck with everything.

Jen:)

Guest Martin and Val

Back again,

Got e-mail from agents, sponsorship has been put through today. Now we await the next stage!

By the way I had recognition from the TRA as a Metal Machinist. We intend to start our new life in Adelaide with me at the current age of 43 and my wife Val who is 50. I intend to work and hope that Val can retire early or at least only work time time so she can look after me!!

All for now

Guest Martin and Val

Back again,

Just a thought, I would like to hear from people who are or have taken their pet dogs with them. We have two and when/if we finally get to Adelaide we will want to rent property first that will allow the four of us in prior to buying.

We hope to finally live around West Lakes or North Haven so if anybody does please give us some advise.

Thanks

Guest Leanne & Mark

We are heading to Exmouth nx wk for holiday,...Yay ...just hope its not tooooo cold.

Mark is in I.T & datacomms and is looking at retraining as an Electrician (cos he does cat5/ 6 and fibre work) , or a Floor & Wall tiler (cos he can), not decided yet depends on pay i guess.

We haven't found a great deal of IT or Datacomms work advertised but you never know!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Taff, I have also just joined the site. I'm Australian (now in the UK for 12 years) and my husband is Irish. I assumed the whole thing would be easy but it still took a great deal of time, hassle and, of course, money. We also had to make our kids Australian citizens and get them passports (once they're Australian citizens they have to travel on an Australian passport - not UK). We too are moving out without jobs or a house and it is scary. However, we're both teachers so hopefully will pick up work relatively quickly. We leave London in three days but don't arrive in Adelaide until January. Although I am scared and wondering why I am taking my daughter away from everything she loves, I know in the long term it will be worth it. My biggest regret - that we didn't do it 5 years ago. Good luck with your visa but don't underestimate how long it takes!