On the way

Guest guest5933

Guest guest5933

Hello,

Having been offered a post as mental health nurse in Adelaide, due to start April 2011, I am ploughing through all the paperwork. IELTS test passed, application for reg sent.

Greatly looking forward to getting over there and exploring the country.

Guest angiestaff
Hello,

Having been offered a post as mental health nurse in Adelaide, due to start April 2011, I am ploughing through all the paperwork. IELTS test passed, application for reg sent.

Greatly looking forward to getting over there and exploring the country.

congratulations on ur new job, i work as a mental health nurse with cnahs, been in adelaide for 15 mths now, anything i can help with just message me

ange

Guest guest5933

thanks angiestaff. no doubt i will have questions nearer the time, laughs. in the meantime, can you recommend some lettings agents....i am travelling on my own, so will be looking for a small unit to start with, plan to get a place nearer the beach when i am settled.

Guest angiestaff
thanks angiestaff. no doubt i will have questions nearer the time, laughs. in the meantime, can you recommend some lettings agents....i am travelling on my own, so will be looking for a small unit to start with, plan to get a place nearer the beach when i am settled.

i know there's a few people on here that deal with renting etc... i'm sure they'll be able to help, we went on realestate.com a lot in the uk then when we came here (we stayed in a hotel for 2 weeks) we viewed 2 and chose the 2nd one in west lakes

i think most people find it easier to clinch a rental when they're actually here in adelaide, perhaps try to get a short term let or hotel when u first arrive and b4 u start work and then you can have a blitz of all the agents

i found it easy to clinch the rental because i had my work contract to show them that i was full time employed, try and meet with ur employer when u arrive and get ur contract.

ange

Guest guest5933

Thanks Angie, want to get an idea of the sort of rentals available, so that website will be very useful.

Have a contract to brandish so that should help later on.

Cheers!

Welcome to the site, and ask away with any questions.

As well as Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au there is http://www.domain.com.au - if you are thinking of an apartment, and want beachside, then Glenelg might be a good place to start. Plenty going on, nice beach, lots of restaurants and bars/cafes, plus good public transport (tram) into the city or about 15 minutes drive. Do you know where your work will be based yet?

Diane

Guest guest5933

Hello Diane, thank you. I am told I will be working in an acute ward, don't know where yet, guess nearer the time. Of course that will dictate to a certain extent where I pitch up. Will aim to get a car fairly swiftly so that will help.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Peachie

Hi don

would defo look to rent near to work as commuting a pest as seem to have traffic lights every 100 meters and all on red went I go anywhere (still waiting for the round-about to be exported from UK)public transport not to bad on main routes (go zones) but crap at weekends for earlys

good luck x

Guest guest5933

Hi Peachie,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, once I know where exactly I am to work I will try and be in cycling distance initially as I like to get some miles in every day. But a car is essential for exploring of course.

Guest Peachie
Hi Peachie,

Thanks for the advice. Yes, once I know where exactly I am to work I will try and be in cycling distance initially as I like to get some miles in every day. But a car is essential for exploring of course.

Hi Don

I cycle most days its about 5km but flat most roads have cycle lanes but plonkers do tend to park in them overtaking parked cars is dodgy and taxi & white van man bloody evil I tend to stick to side streets where possible even if it takes longer road saftey is a bit of an issue here or maybe they report accidents on the news more as seem more common here

when will you know where you will be based? there seems alot of mental health issues here as deal with more issues in gereral wards then ever saw in uk

Deb x

Guest guest5933

Right, thanks for the tip. Cycling can be pretty hectic here in Portsmouth, at least one close escape every couple of days in the summer. So no change then :-)

Guest guest5933

oh yes, i will know when the visa is sorted, i have the firm offer though. initially it was to be in a forensic ward, kind of place i'm working in now. with the eta now looking feb/ march they anticipate placibg me on an acute ward...somewhere. i don't mind mind where i work really, just want to get over there!

OH cycles in to work most days: we live in the North East and he works in the South West bottom corner of the city. He goes through Linear Park for a lot of the way (cycle paths) and then alongside the O-Bahn tracks, and then through the parklands so although it's about 45 mins ride (he's pretty fast) it's a lot safer than going on the roads! Just have to dodge the odd homeless person in the parklands....and look out for three-cornered jacks lying in wait to puncture your tyres...

Depending on where you'll be working, try and find somewhere with something similar for cycling. I know there are a couple of similar "linear parks" around and believe me, the less interaction with Adelaide drivers you have, the better!!

Guest guest5933

Sounds like good advice, thank you. three cornered jacks? that's a new one. i've had drinks cans thrown at me by chavs before, but invariably they are drunk and slow so no worries there. i like the idea of cycling through some green parks...i will deffo get busy with a map oonce i know where i will be.

all i need to do now is sort out where the fishing is :-)