stay in uk or go to Adelaide??

Guest Annab

Guest Annab

Hi all, this is my first post - bear with me!!:)

Ok, my husband has been offered a job in North Adelaide (Burton I believe). We have both been out for a visit in june, but only for a week - (not nearly long enough to make a life's changing decision really)!!

We have 3 children 9, 7, 20months. We live in rural England, and we love the countryside and the outdoors (hence Australia)! We are in such a dilema as to stay or go. I was wandering if anybody could offer any advice as to the real life over there. If we go over we are looking at semaphore, west lakes, seaton. Any advice on schools or other areas.

Thanks

Anna

Semaphore still has the air of a seaside town, it's main strip is not touristy or tarted up yet, but in summer there is a fair on the lawns on the beachfront and there is a permanent little amusement park with a waterslide and a few other things. Westlakes is more suburban but close to the beaches as well. You could find good schools in both areas. Seaton is more of an old inner suburban area. Parts are a bit run down, but it is still a liveable area and these western suburbs are slowly changing. If your husband has a job to come to then that gives you a head start. If you are unsure why not think of it as a work posting for a few years and see how you go. It takes time to get settled anywhere new. Many people get posted to other countries for a few years for work these days. And if you really don't settle you can always go back before your children get to senior years at school etc.

Semaphore is an old seaside suburb with a bit of character, not too far from the industrial parts of Port Adelaide, with individual shops, loads of cafes and a slightly bohemian atmosphere. The seafront area is good with lots of playgrounds and a skate park.

West Lakes is a well landscaped housing development built in the 70's/80's around man-made seawater lakes, with a large shopping mall and lots of sporting facilities. Houses are fairly pricey and some of the lakefront homes are mega expensive.

Seaton is a 1950s/60s suburb with more modest traditional homes, some areas are nicer than others. It is in a good location being close to the beach and the city. Lots of houses here are being knocked down and 2 built on the plot as the plots are quite large.

I see you have chosen suburbs that are by the beach, but if you like rural countryside then these areas may be too built up and 'suburban' for you. Obviously the beach and sea give you a sense of open space, and there is a lot less traffic the closer you get to the sea, but if you like trees and countryside, why not head to the foothills. Burton is not too far from places like Greenwith, Golden Grove, Hillbank, Wynn Vale, Redwood Park - maybe these might be worth looking into.

Have a look at suburbs on google earth and streetview to get an idea of what they are like. Also www.nearmap.com has very clear satelite images.

Guest kangomik

It's a better lifestyle for the kids, they get out so much more due to the weather, reminds me of when we were kids.

A lot of people come to Aus and feel they need to live by the sea, but as Anne said there are other places that are still in an easy commute to Burton.

It's a big decision but with a job offer already there one of the biggest fears and stress factors is eliminated straight away.

Way everything up and then decide, you have probably already made the decision but just need to know it's right............ we cannot do that for you.

Guest Annab

Thanks very much for all your replies.

It's just nerve racking making the move!!

We have always wanted to live by the sea, so my thought was we might as well do it over in Oz while we had an opportunity - but we will be checking out other areas too. Depends on rentals etc,etc, but of course we have to get a feel for an area.

Well fingers crossed, we may be over before christmas:)

Anna

Guest andrew_obrien

I would get off to Adelaide, I moved thier last year and made the mistake of coming back (but good because i met my new girlfriend) i found it very hard when i got back to get a job so opened my own shop. Give it a go otherwise you may regret it

Guest nicandchris

hi your situation sounds similar to ours. Ive got a job in adelaide, queen elizebeth etc but we currently live in rural yorkshire so wnt an equally nice place to walk, nursery for our son etc, ive been to aussie but my partner hasnt so its a big decision. Decision made easier by my manager outlining to me the uncertainty of my nursing job here with the cuts in the nhs. Were thinking of suburbs in the adelaide hills or thereabouts which sounds nice. The only live once tho so taking a leap in life isnt a bad thing you know!

We are in such a dilema as to stay or go

If you are really so undecided, feel happy with your surroundings and have close ties with family and friends - I have to be honest, I would stay where you are. especially at this time with the economics you have to take into account too.

If you are in firmly in the rather do it than live to regret it camp, then you have no choice - you have already started along the road, and need to see it through to Adelaide, because I don't think you can get it out of your system until you do.

I would get off to Adelaide, I moved thier last year and made the mistake of coming back (but good because i met my new girlfriend) i found it very hard when i got back to get a job so opened my own shop. Give it a go otherwise you may regret it

Will you not go back again then Andrew? Oh, nice move on the shop...only on-line or is it also RW?

That's exactly my view, I don't want to regret that we never went because of the what if's and but's!!

I can speak with some authority here as I was in your position in the mid 80's. We are still in the UK and to this day regret not taking the gamble. Now the door to do so is closed for us.

In my humble opinion, if you can get there by any means what soever . GO.

Guest caoimhe

It took my O/H 8 years to convince me into the move, it was only after having a conversation with an Uncle of mine (who in his early 50s and could no longer get a visa) told me he wanted to go to Oz but finally made the decision not too, and had regretted it ever since that made me realise I HAD to give it a go. At that stage I knew if we didn't try for a visa that year we would not have qualified because of age. I then became more afraid of living to regret it than going for it. So we did and are here 19 months now....do I regret it?....NO

It has been very hard and at some points I have wished I had never come but we originally came on a temp visa and when you have kids that is very hard, we now have PR and financially life is a bit easier.

Between applying for a visa and getting it our house in Northern Ireland dropped 110,000 pounds and the exchange rate dropped too so we came here with $310,000 less than we thought we would:arghh: We expected to come out here mortgage free but have ended up with the same mortgage as we had in Ireland...am I sorry I came... NO

I didn't work back home but here am working in a warehouse packing up car parts 5 days a week and to be honest I HATE it and would give anything to get another job..am I sorry I came?...again NO

The last 19 months have honestly been the most trying, hard working, financially draining times of my life but the family time, friends I have made and fun we have had makes it worthwhile. I its far from easy and somedays I want to pack it all in and head back to the safety of my old life but I honestly believe that I have more quality time here with my husband and kids.....

Why not give it a go, it may be fincancially draining if it doesn't work but its not the end of the world but you may end up regretting it forever if you don't ....just like my uncle!!!!

BTW I don't fall into the 'love it' or 'hate it' brigade, I am still in two minds but I am very glad I am trying it out.

Good luck:wubclub:

Guest jessica_svr

100% go for it!!!

England will still be there if you want to go back, but I cant imagine why you would!

Adelaide, and SA, are fabulous! A much better lifestyle for you and your family!

Jess x

Hello

We arrived on 1st feb this year,so still newies!

We have 2 children 6yrs and 4 yrs,we arrived with a work sponsor {my husband** He works in Port Adelaide and has an hours drive to work as we live in Aldinga Beach~most Australians think were mental living so far from his job,but it isn't like the UK sat stationary,the traffic flows and the whole hour is spent actually driving.We chose Aldinga Beach as we have views of the foot hills and are also close to beautiful beaches.

My eldest daughter goes to Galilee catholic school and loves it,we are not religious,chose this school as we believe it is the best around and of a similar standard to the school she attended in the uk.

Our younger daughter goes to the local kinde which is a wonderful environment with a great outdoor space.

I struggled for a long time in making a decision to up and leave the uk and had many tearful sleepless nights thinking about what i was leaving behind!! It is the hardest decision you will ever make and by no means easy but we are only here once,this life is not a rehearsal and i felt if i didn't give it a go i would wake up one day regretting that choice!

We are all very different and it is like being on an emotional roller coaster,i miss my mum,dad and sister daily but look at my daughters smiling faces and a look at the surroundings makes me feel better.

I don't envy your anguish and really do know what you're going through.

Have you been granted visas? subclass 119 is the way to go,which is through an employer sponsor as this gives you permanent residency allowing you to receive equivillant of child tax benefit etc,allows you also to purchase property straight away..i don't know your position but obviously financial strain on top of all the other emotions you will go through doesn't help!!

Please feel free to contact me if you want any help and i will try my best to help you,but don't feel you need to live near work as it's not all about work! I don't recommend you live somewhere isolated as it is hard sometimes being alone with the children.

Take care and good luck

Kindest Regards

Clare

Guest charlot

If you have a job organised in advance, you will be ok and secured. You can come here for a year to see what it's like and then decide what to do next.. If you don't like it you can return back to UK and if you like it you can stay:-) But if you have important commitments and financial tights in UK, I would stay in the UK, because it is not easy in Adelaide to start over and takes sometimes couple of years to find right work.. That would be my advice:-) I wish you best of luck!:-)

Guest Annab

Thanks clare, we will be going on a 457 visa, (not applied for as yet) but once we settle into the job, lifestyle, they will sponsor us for permanent residency - they said lots of people drop out of going to OZ!!

Thanks Anna

Guest Peachie

Hi anna

we have been in adelaide since end of nov last year we lived in worcs and then the wirral and have never been city people we were heading to burley heads in the gold coast (I was offered a job there) but a last min job offer for my husband in adelaide bought us here (we had only spent a week in adelaide (much longer else where in oz)

We had a brill summer and the winter not to shabby either been 15deg out this week its the winter school hols and have had days out with kids jumper weather coat not needed last august in the uk we had no days out as rained none stop!!

I got a job very easily (Queen Elizabeth Hospital) and have enjoyed ajusting to life down under we were game to give adelaide a go and if we didn't like it move inter-state as Aus is a huge country and bound to be a bit of it I would like!!!!! but have been happy with adelaide so far it is more like a town than a city not too scary we will be looking to buy ia house n the west lakes / seaton area soon as like the western suburbs as easy trip to work for both of us

good luck Deb x