Hello

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

Hi, well we finally made it and now settled in Craigmore. Children are now in school and life is finally settling down. I already know we have made the best life change choice for our family.

However, my father-in-law has been recently become a widow (my husband lost his mum to cancer a couple of months before we left) and has now come to stay with us, at the moment for three months but may be for good. He enjoys going to church on a Sunday, and would like to meet some people to talk, and enjoy a coffee. He is 74 and very lonely. If he decides to stay it would be good to know he has some friends his own age.

does anyone know how easy it is to get a visa for him to live with us (we have perm res) how much it costs?

Also he would like to bring his car over which is new and very low miles. I have been told that although its not expensive to import there are lots of other cost that he will incur and it would be better for him to sell and buy one here?

would like to get to meet some people now i am unpacked, and my 8 yr old son is very eager to meet new friends and do footie.

Also does anyone know where to buy some good fishing gear as my husband wants to start up where he left off 20 odd years ago

So if anyone is as mad as us, and our 16 and 15 yr old daughter and of course our son pls let us know

thank you regards

claire:realmad:

Hi firstly welcome. It will soon start getting warmer here I promise!!

Can't help with most of your questions, but with regards to bringing a car over, Mandy ("whatnow" on here) bought hers over a short while ago, after extensive research and has put together a fact sheet with all the stuff she found out on it. If you drop her a PM on here with your email address, or email her on mandy@h2h.com.au I'm sure she'd happily send it to you.

There is also a great fact sheet on the H2H website (I think if you go to Resources at the bottom, then Info Sheet Downloads, then Driving in Australia) which might be useful for your f-i-l.

HTH

Diane

Guest Jules37

Hi there

Sorry can't help with any of your questions as we are still in the uk but wanted to say hi and good luck with your new life.

Jules

Hi, well we finally made it and now settled in Craigmore. Children are now in school and life is finally settling down. I already know we have made the best life change choice for our family.

However, my father-in-law has been recently become a widow (my husband lost his mum to cancer a couple of months before we left) and has now come to stay with us, at the moment for three months but may be for good. He enjoys going to church on a Sunday, and would like to meet some people to talk, and enjoy a coffee. He is 74 and very lonely. If he decides to stay it would be good to know he has some friends his own age.

does anyone know how easy it is to get a visa for him to live with us (we have perm res) how much it costs?

Also he would like to bring his car over which is new and very low miles. I have been told that although its not expensive to import there are lots of other cost that he will incur and it would be better for him to sell and buy one here?

would like to get to meet some people now i am unpacked, and my 8 yr old son is very eager to meet new friends and do footie.

Also does anyone know where to buy some good fishing gear as my husband wants to start up where he left off 20 odd years ago

So if anyone is as mad as us, and our 16 and 15 yr old daughter and of course our son pls let us know

thank you regards

http

Hi Claire,

The best place to ask the question of your farther-in-laws visa is on the British Expats website, follow this link,

Contributory Parent Visa - Still Sparkling!!! - Part 4 : British Expat Discussion Forum

Regards

Les

Guest WhatNow?

If I remember correctly, one of the questions on the Application for an Export Permit for a car is whether you are a permanent visa holder. There are also other considerations such that you have to have owned the car for 12 months on the date you apply for the permit. If you would like me to send you the information sheet on vehicle imports then please PM me with an email address.

With respect to visa questions, ask on the other forum sites by all means, but please be aware that only licensed Migration Agents should be giving advice on visa matters. Licensed agents undergo regular professional development and have to keep updated on changes to immigration regulations. As has been said on this site elsewhere, they are often better informed than junior DIAC staff who only understand the bit of the system they deal with and have been known to give out misleading information. Any good agent will give you an initial assessment of the options without taking any money off you. Try a PM to Alan Collett who posts regularly on here or send an email to sherie@migratemates.com (a Pom herself) or John Adams of www.immigration2oz.com who is also on Skype and will message you there if you prefer.

Guest cornish Busdriver

thank you regards

Gday Claire.

Tell hubby to pop in to Anglers Choice at Christies Beach on Beach Road.

The guys in there are fantastic and will sort him out with good stuff and give him all the info he could wish for.

Other wise Big W does a great selection as well.

Matt