Here we go

Guest NickG

Guest NickG

:huh:Hi,

Just thought that I would start this diary from day one. We (me my lovely wife and two gorgeous girls aged 11 & 12) are just starting the process of trying to get to Adelaide. We have just sent off the Skill Assessment Paperwork to Go Matilda and will be transferring the first fee hopefully this week, if the internet banking details come through!

We are hoping to obtain a visa on my skill set which is now 22 years within the Royal Air Force as an Aircraft Technician, hopefully this will be on the SA Sponsored List, which I believe is due Aug sometime. This will be a massive step for us as at the moment I still could stay in service for another 8 years.

I have an uncle in Adelaide who was one of the original £10 crew and has never looked back.

Well, thats installment one, I hope luck is on our side.

NickG

Guest NickG

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your reply. It is such early days for us, we have been thinking about Australia for years, I first visited to stay with my uncle back in 1986, stayed with him at Osborne, Northhaven, I dont think the Marina was there then. I just remember a v.long beach.

kind regards

Nick

Guest clubatlantis

Hi Nick & family,

Yes its a mighty step, we are moving there end of Sept, we got accepted last year. The next hurdle for us is accomodation, we almost got scammed today, we were going to house share for a few weeks until we found our own place, there's so many scams out there for identity theft and stealing your money, its a shame for the genuine landlords !!

Guest Nicky&Andy
:huh:Hi,

Just thought that I would start this diary from day one. We (me my lovely wife and two gorgeous girls aged 11 & 12) are just starting the process of trying to get to Adelaide. We have just sent off the Skill Assessment Paperwork to Go Matilda and will be transferring the first fee hopefully this week, if the internet banking details come through!

We are hoping to obtain a visa on my skill set which is now 22 years within the Royal Air Force as an Aircraft Technician, hopefully this will be on the SA Sponsored List, which I believe is due Aug sometime. This will be a massive step for us as at the moment I still could stay in service for another 8 years.

I have an uncle in Adelaide who was one of the original £10 crew and has never looked back.

Well, thats installment one, I hope luck is on our side.

NickG

hi guy's fingers crossed for you hope all goes well, welcome to the start of your journey

Guest cubton

Hi Nick,

Would it not be easier for you to join the RAAF as a friend of our has just joined the Austrailian Army after 22 years in the British Army, he was snapped up and they did all the paperwork even granted him citizenship... or have you had enough of service life?

Just a thought

Regards

Tony

Guest NickG

Hi Tony,

Did think about that route about 18 months ago. At that time the RAAF was not looking for my trade. I admit if they would have me it would be much easier but you know what after 22 years of short sideburns I think I need a change.

Update 1, we are putting the house up for sale on Fri 23 Jul, we are lucky that if it sells we can move back into married quarters.

kind regards

Nick

Guest cubton

Hi Nick,

Yes i know what you mean 22 years is more than enough for anyone! as for the side burns you must of upset the SWO : 0 Most of the lads i was at Odiham with had long side burns! Us pongo's were so jealous they got away with it!

Guest NickG

Hi Cubton,

How are you finding it in Oz, was it easy to adjust after your time in the service? Things look bleak for our services here at the mo, after the change of government it looks like we are going to get a 5k reduction in RAF manpower, I think that all of the services are up for the chop.

Nick

• 2 weeks later...