Evening (or morning there)

snifter

New arrival to this forum. I found it while researching dog parks in Adelaide. Thought it would be a good idea to sign up :) So hello :)

Bit about me and my family. I'm English, married to an Aussie who hails from Adelaide. We currently live near Bristol in the UK. And after a number of years here we are now discussing moving back to Adelaide. Well, husband moving home, inpatting as we call it, and myself becoming an expat! I'm used to living overseas having spent most of my 20's abroad and only moving back here at the end of the 90's. Shipping out to Aus doesn't faze me in the least.

We are in no rush as we are happy here and have set ourselves a three year time frame so we allow ourselves enough time here to finish up all we would like to do and see and to ensure we have everything fully in place. Also hubby needs to aquire UK citizenship in the next year or two before we make the move back. While we've said this move will be inititally 3-5 years in length once there, we are aware that chances are it is going to be permanent and are both fine with that.

Our son has dual citizenship (and so will any other children if we have more). The plan would be for us to spend long enough in Aus at least for me to gain citizenship before we decide to stay or return to the UK.

I've had two trips to Adelaide and loved the city and surrounding area. Hubby's family are dotted around the city and suburbs. I think we'd like to find something within easy driving distance of Glenelg as that is where hubby's mother lives and other family within 5-10 minutes drive. Expensive area but am sure there are other suburbs nearby that will suit us and be a bit cheaper.

Atm I am just researching costs to ship personal belongings and some furniture, our dog(s) and a couple of other things.

So yeah, thats me :) I"m sure I'll be jumping in and posting a bit around the forum :)

Hi,

You are in a similar situation to me, Aussie husband, although we spent the 1st 3 years after we were married in Adelaide, then had over 12 years in the UK before moving back here. Our deadline was to move back before our eldest started secondary school in England (which he would have been doing in September) - although funnily enough he has settled in to Aussie life really easily whereas our 7 year old is struggling and wants to go back to England! My husband thought about getting UK citizenship (as we were there for so long) but he doesn't have any British relatives and in the end we didn't bother. If you don't have a particular deadline to meet for your move then just make sure you move when the £/$ exchange rate is good !!!! I'm sure you will get lots of useful information from this site, even my husband learnt things he didn't know having been away from Adelaide for so long!

Anne

Thanks for the welcome everyone :)

Anne B - Hubby would like it in case we ever move back here and also to make trips between the 2 countries easier. Also if anything happens to one of us, the other would have citizenship to the others country so be able to reside there long term without fear of being deported or having to jump through lots of hoops.

Our 3 year time frame is very flexible and so could be shorter, depending on how things go for us here :)