Do we move our stuff

Guest NickG

Guest NickG

Hi i'm nick g's wife kelly and we are in debate to whether we bring our stuff. He says no, the books say no but what about the every day stuff we need. Can i have your expert advice please:arghh:Kelly

Guest wijaya

HI there

Our stuffs now are in the ocean somewhere. Hopefully they will reach Adelaide by September. From various threads, people would suggest to brings as many things as you can. One of reason is that it reasonably more expensive to replace all your stuff here in Australia. So if you have relatively new stuffs, worth consedering to ship them. We left our fridge, microwave and washing machine, buying new plasma teve and mattreses in England, and brought old stuffs like sofa, beds, and other things.

Regards

wijay

Guest cornish Busdriver

Bring everything.

ive your dont add up there; they will add up even less here.

we worked it out at 3K to ship our stuff and about 20K to replace it and beleive me when you buy you own house you will need all that furniture and more just to fill it as houses here are a lot bigger.

work out how much you got and how much it would cost to replace it.

hope this helps

Guest Nicky&Andy

we are shipping, but have been decluttering, so only taking essential things, its hard work sorting things though, my brains gone to mash, oh had to lie down earlier, fell asleep, woke up & thought it was mon morn its only 830 pm, i dont think i could cope with trying to clear every thing, so glad ive got a container:wacko:

Guest calamitycaz

I'm having the same dilemma....want to bring most things as have bought all new furniture since I have been on my own, just don't know whether to bring the old washer (4 years old) with spare brushes etc as spares, or to leave it here and buy a cheap one here to bring over, or to leave it and buy one in Adelaide otherwise we will be without one for 2 months ?! I'm sick of waking up worrying about a bloody washing machine, although maybe as my most prized white goods as I'm bringing 4 kids maybe it's justified?!! lol.

Guest Nicky&Andy
I'm having the same dilemma....want to bring most things as have bought all new furniture since I have been on my own, just don't know whether to bring the old washer (4 years old) with spare brushes etc as spares, or to leave it here and buy a cheap one here to bring over, or to leave it and buy one in Adelaide otherwise we will be without one for 2 months ?! I'm sick of waking up worrying about a bloody washing machine, although maybe as my most prized white goods as I'm bringing 4 kids maybe it's justified?!! lol.

our washer broke 3 months ago, got the cheapest one i could find, intending to leave it but now im taking , dont know how long it will last, its even got a rubber fan belt to make the drum turn lol (as you say its doing without one):arghh:

We packed almost everything..............had a major clean out and declutter...but we brought washer, dryer, tvs, dvd players, sofa, shelving, kids beds and mattresses, pics, ornaments, kids bits and bobs.....lots of shoes and handbags, warm coats (haha - we thought - and now we are wearing them), oil heaters, curtains....omg we brought heaps of stuff.........quilts, bedding,...........only things we didnt bring were microwave and kettle/toaster and our bedroom furniture!!! when we got here we got our rental and borrowed stuff (luckily had family and friends here).....and as for the washer - well I had to wait 5 weeks...so hand washed and carried a bin liner if we EVER visited anybody.......so as to wash our stuff thru!!!

Apart from the cost of buying all new........it's very comforting to unpack all your own stuff and give some familiarity back .......coz it's a big move -

So my vote would be to - Move your stuff -

Best o Luck

We packed almost everything..............had a major clean out and declutter...but we brought washer, dryer, tvs, dvd players, sofa, shelving, kids beds and mattresses, pics, ornaments, kids bits and bobs.....lots of shoes and handbags, warm coats (haha - we thought - and now we are wearing them), oil heaters, curtains....omg we brought heaps of stuff.........quilts, bedding,...........only things we didnt bring were microwave and kettle/toaster and our bedroom furniture!!! when we got here we got our rental and borrowed stuff (luckily had family and friends here).....and as for the washer - well I had to wait 5 weeks...so hand washed and carried a bin liner if we EVER visited anybody.......so as to wash our stuff thru!!!

Apart from the cost of buying all new........it's very comforting to unpack all your own stuff and give some familiarity back .......coz it's a big move -

So my vote would be to - Move your stuff -

Best o Luck

Ditto ditto ditto! Will cost a lot to replace everything, and when you first arrive you have more than enough to do finding a place to live, schools, setting up banks, restocking food etc, without having to hit the furniture shops as well! Bring it, use it, replace it over time, is definitely the way to go!

Guest EHumphreys

Hi guys,

Definitely bring EVERYTHING possible. We brought everything, down to the teatowels!! Only thing we bought when we got here was a fridge (coz you cant bring from the UK coz of the gases!), house phones and a tv (as ours was very old).

Its lovely to have your own stuff, makes you feel more at home, especially the kids, they loved having their things back for their bedrooms, it was very exciting for them as they hadn't seen it for about 3 months!!

Hi,

I would DEFINITELY bring everything. We did in a 40' container and are so glad. The cost of things are very expensive and if you don't bring them and get rid of them in car boots/ive aways etc and try to replace them where you are here, you will kick yourself. What ever you decide, when you get here and go furnitire/electrical shopping, always ask 'what is your best price' and they will reduce it again so you save more money.

Guest Peachie

Hi Kelly

we only brought over a pallett of personal effects and the kids favourate toys we had been planning this move for 5 yrs so all are stuff was a bit on the old side and were worried how our stuff would look in a bigger house so we bought new when we found our long term rental one con was limited choices as alot of shops get furniture to order waiting times upto 14 weeks!!!! so we only looked at stuff in stock and got some fab hard wood chunky (child proof) furniture for a reasonable price

if you would like to replace your furniture then you could look at either shipping a few basics or hiring stuff which ever is cheaper to give you more chioce with shopping mattresses are stupid prices here!!!! also to consider how long it will be before a wage is coming in as the first 3 months we seemed to hemerage cash!!!! on car rego insurances school fees uniforms electricals and appliances stc the list seems endless when you arrive!!!!

good luck with your move

ps the exchange rate is crap at the mo so shipping could be the better option and replace as savings allow later

Deb x

Guest mlissiman

Hi Kelly

We bought EVERYTHING with us. So glad we did as, like so many other people have said on here, its soooo expensive to replace everything.

The other reason we did it was that we have 2 children who were 11 and 8 at the time of moving and it helped them to settle easier with all of our personal possessions around.

Good luck!

Michelle