i'm scared!!!(and also new to the forum)

Guest oz4us?

Hello everyone!

We have been thinking of moving to oz, particularly Adelaide, for over a year now. I am quite keen on the idea but at the same the thought of actually moving makes me feel a quite sick.

My other half is desperate to leave, he hates the place we live, (it's a wee village full of idiots) and to be honest we don't really have anything keeping us here other than family & friends. Obviously I would miss everyone loads but i think I could cope!

Kevin is a bricklayer to trade and started out on his own this year, his business is going really well here but he is just itching to do this while we're still young enough.

I'm sure he would get a job easily aswell.

My biggest issue with going is that we have 2 little girls aged 3 and 9months just now,(if we're going to do this we want to be in oz by the end of next year)

i'm worried how the move will affect them, and about their schooling etc, i'm worried about them missing their grannies who they see all the time. I get quite emotional when I think about packing up all their toys and things...it's so silly!

Has anyone else moved with young kids, how did they cope? & is Adelaide a good family place?

Any advice would be nice.

Thanks

Nikki xxxx

Hi Nikki,

welcom to PIA, moving to the other side of the world is a big step so a few worries are normal, ive no young kids myself but am sure you will have replies from people who have, many im sure will say there childrens future is one of the main reasons they are going.

Good luck

Simon

Hi Nikki

Welcome to PIA. When we first considered moving down under I too had that sick feeling every time I thought of leaving family and tearing ourselves away from the life we knew. Despite the promise of adventure and a new life I just couldn't come to terms with the guilt of leaving ageing parents and taking away their grand kids (2 girls 5 and 1).

Well altho' I still get the odd nasty sicky feelings, on the whole they have gone and I think this is because we have progressed so far through the migration process. We got our visa back in May and will be in Adelaide by Jan 7th next year. I think once we made that big decision to put the migration wheels in motion things started to feel less scary and much more pro-active and positive.

What I would say is the rose tinted specs left us a long time ago and we soon realised that life in Adelaide like in the UK will have its pros and cons. For us the decision to leave was more out of a desire to fulfill our dream of living abroad, than to escape anything altho' there is stuff we dislike about the UK, it is not the main driving force behind our move.

I wouldn't worry too much about how your kids will cope, Australia is a very postive friendly place and from what I've heard the schooling is good and more holistic than in the UK. Young children adapt well to new things as long as their parents are confident in the move being the right thing for the whole family. They are young enough to not have too much attachment to stuff here (not family but friends etc) and to open up channels for you via toddler groups etc, plus Australia is a child friendly place for eating out and less expensive/free options for days out plus the wildlife is superb and accessible. We went on a reccie to WA and SA two years ago and my daughter who was then 3.5 yrs can still remember her holiday and almost everyday asks "When are we going to live in Australia, I can't wait to get there!" It amazes me that despite being so in the present she can recall what a good feeling she got from her time in Australia...if that's not an indication of making the right move i don't know what is!

Have you visited, if not I would highly recommend a reccie...a proper constructive look around at all things related to life as opposed to a holiday would give you a clear indication as to whether it is the right place for you and your family.

I hope you take the plunge at some point because it sounds like you've got what it takes, just make sure you do it with your eyes WIDE open. :D

Good luck

Take care and maybe see you on the other side someday.

Dette and family

Guest jen&ian

Hi Nikki,

We are moving to Adelaide in just over 2 weeks with our 3 young boys aged 1, 3 & 6, and believe me feeling sick is a completely normal reaction! We, like you by the sound of it, have just decided it's something we have to do while we have the chance. My mums not exactly happy about it, although my husbands family have been very supportive. Anyway just thought I'd say hi and good luck with your decision.

Jen:)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

Moving here and feeling sick about it is very normal, you need to decide if you feel sick because you dont really want to come or just sick with fear?

I spent the whole year between deciding this was what we wanted to do and getting the visa analysing all the family/friends gatherings we had and seriously asking whether I would miss that here and decided YES I would, but it is only one day or so and the rest of mine and my kids life is a far bigger thing. Hope that makes sence! So when I got here I did miss family, but it doesnt HURT like some people find, and when I say HURT I mean it is a physical hurt. But I do miss some things that I didnt analyse, like radiators and asda:biglaugh:. But that doesnt hurt too much!

As for the kids, they will settle as they are too young not too, kids adapt best when they are younger, also you will have them to make friends off the back of,so that shouldnt be a problem. Education here is far better here IMO, there are some that will say its not, they are not taught the same way as in the UK, they are taught in a way that brings out their confidence and social skills, as the kids mine mix with are teenagers I can tell kids taught this way make far nicer teenagers!

sarah

Guest dglamoore

Dawn was 4 when we moved over here. She had been at nursery in UK for a year and one term so had made lots of friends although we had no close family near by so she was used to chatting on the phone and webcam even in the uk.

She only had one wobble when we got here and I think that was just unfamiliarity - everything she owned other than a few toys was on the container, new house, new surroundings etc :wacko: As soon as her stuff arrived we did not see her for a week and then everything just clicked into place for her. We got her into kindy after a couple of weeks which she really enjoyed and her confidience has boomed since moving here and today she starts full time which she is really excited about!

Dawn loves the outside and definitely is out more over here running round the garden with the pups or on the beach. Yesterday we took her to the zoo and then stopped at Noarlunga Beach on the way home for a play and paddle. When we got in she said how much she loves living here now and said she would not like living in England anymore so seems she really has settled :D

Lisa:wubclub:

Hi Nikki,

Welcome to PIA. Having young kids is more reason to move downunder. In my opinion the future is not bright for them here. We have four young ones 6, 5, 21 months and an even smaller one. In 15 to 20 years what chance have they got on getting on the housing ladder on getting a council house? Pretty much nil.

Having doubts and worries is only natural. However, although you will be leaving behind everyone you know you won't be doing it alone. There are loads of us in the same boat on here and other forums. We know people out there but in different territories so won't see much of them. We have already made some great friends through this place and hope to make some more as we will all need help and support once there.

Good luck with the visa stuff and hope your worries lessen soon.

Pete

Hello everyone!

We have been thinking of moving to oz, particularly Adelaide, for over a year now. I am quite keen on the idea but at the same the thought of actually moving makes me feel a quite sick.

Thanks

Nikki xxxx

Nikki,

Go fot it,

If you don't you will always regret it ( I have the t-shirt)

You could always look upon it as an adventure and come back after two years if you didnt like it.

Somehow, I don't think you would want to:D

Hi Nikki, I agree with Sarah I think. Try before you buy, come out for a reccie if you can afford to and see how you feel after that. We migrated at the end of July with our two children who are 3 and 22 months. Although we didn't reccie before we came we knew this was definitely for us and yes, of course we miss family and friends back home but our kids are sooo happy here, they go to nursery twice a week, they have swimming lessons, our little girl does ballet etc etc. We couldn't have afforded to give them this sort of life back in the UK. But if you're very close to your family I'd give it some serious thought before you came as it would be a very costly mistake to make if you hated it when you got here. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some more background on what it's like here. Good luck whatever you decide!

hey nikki!

i can't really add anything more to what has been said already.

only that i think that each and one of us is scared at least a little bit - it IS a big thing to do after all!

we also have 2 young ones (3.5 and 2) and i agree that i can't see them having a great future here!

and i also think them being so young they won't see a difference ... just yet ;)

as in regards to family: i know that we don't see ours alot - i don't know about you!

and internet is a great tool :D

good luck and you are not alone in this!!!

Thanks for the replies people!

I'm quite sure the sick feeling is just being caused by fear of the unknown, rather than not wanting to go!

I know deep down my wee girls would love it over there and would have a better quality of life so I think it's the right thing for us to do.

I am close to my family here and I see my mum at least 4 times a week but she's all for us moving!! It's something she wishes she had done when she was younger so I think that's why she's so keen for us to go.

It's nice just to have the reassurance from others on this site that it can work out.

I know it won't be easy but I think we're ready for it!

Kevin has filled out the online assessment thing and we're just waiting for the call now. I'll keep you all posted and there will probably be a barrage of questions from me in the coming weeks/months!!!!!

Thanks again

Nikki xxxx :jiggy:

Guest Martin and Val

Hi Nikki,

Your feelings are understandable it is a huge move for everyone who decides on this adventure.

I have been sure from the beginning but my wife has had the tearful moments when thinking about leaving family behind not to mention the children who are all grown up and moved out. They are all now on their own great adventure and now it's our chance.

Very recently the South Australian sponsorship web site came back on line and to our horror the trade I had recognised with the TRA was not listed!!

The agent rang us with this bad news and said all the other states would except us but not S.A. We were both so gutted and upset as we had our hearts set on Adelaide.

After many phone calls, e-mails and tears we just both knew we wanted this more than anything else and decided that maybe a couple of years in Victoria wouldn't be so bad and then we could move to S.A.

Then on the 4th October S.A did an amended on their skills list and yes you guessed it we were back on track they had made a mistake!!!!

Sponsorship is now lodged and the smiles are back on our faces again.

I hope this shows you that something along the route may come up that knocks you back a little and if the thought of not being allowed to go where you want to upsets you so much then you know it is really what you want.

I hope you understand what I am rambling on about?

In a nut shell something along route will tell you its right or wrong...

Go for it what have you got to loose and try not to worry it's not the end of the world just the other side of it.

Good luck

Martin and Val :D

Guest nikkiandlee

HI Nikki,

I'm so glad I'm not the only one with the sick feeling in the pit of my stomach:cute:. I know that for me its the fear of moving thousands of miles to a place I don't know (when written it sounds mad). We have 3 boys, 7, 10 and 13 and hope to be in aus sometime later in 08!!! good luck with it all and I'm sure that in the end the sick feeling will be replaced by happy contentment!!!! (well thats what I'm hoping) :D.

Nikki

xxxx

Guest ozadele

Hi Nikki,

Its normal to feel scared and apprehensive but as your mum says shes all for it and I think once you get the blessing of your extended family and their support it makes it a little easier. I have lived in Adelaide for almost 20 years and we came out with a young family too. I have always loved it in Australia and whilst in the early years my husband was rather homesick we have adjusted well to living here and I do not have any regrets about leaving England ....only the pubs! They are just not the same here but I can live with that! Hope all progresses well with your application and look forward to hearing how it goes for you as it can be a testing time with all of the paper work involved.

Good luck : 0 ) Ozadele

I think if you didn't have any emotion, then something would be seriously wrong.

It's good to have niggles and doubts, that way you can work through them before you go.

You have to look at the bigger picture, decide you don't like it over there and then you can make the decision that you would rather have stayed where you were.

Your kids will be fine, it's amazing how easy they will adapt, we were only there for 3 weeks reccie and my 5 year old daughter was in tears and my 9 year old son was refusing point blank to come home!

But as long as you are all strong together and help each other, you will get through!

best of luck to you.

Hi there, we fly on Oct 26th and we both feel absolutely petrifried at the moment. Both given up decent jobs ,sold the house and all worldly possesions apart from a few that are probably sailiing down the Suez canal as we speak. Kids are 5 and 3 and the day all their toys we're packed and shipped was upsetting for all of us. Been living with my parents for the past six weeks and leave later this week which is filling us both with dread and forboding. However on the upside the kids can't wait to get there make new friends and enjoy the space and decent weather so all in all we can totally empathise with the emotions your going through but we're both looking forward to getting there and starting our new lives. Stay positive and we'll see you on the other side.

Andy:D

Guest Martin and Val

Andy and Lindsey and of course the kids,

We wish you all the very best for your future new life, please keep us informed how you are getting on.

Martin and Val :)

hiya

i have a 9 month old baby daughter and a 5 and 10 year old, my hubby is too a bricklayer, the girls have settled great into school so all that worry for nothing, they do get into it all very quickly.

My husband got a job no problem though the wages are not that good, especailly compared to bricklayers wage in the uk. you can live on it fine though.

Once you get here you will wonder why you felt so anxious, it's the unknown that causes the nerves.

Adelaide boasts everything for the "mum i,m bored child"......it is well set up for kids and you will love it!!

only been here a month ourselves and things are going well.

Good luck

andrea

• 3 years later...
Guest brianlynnette
Hello everyone!

My other half is desperate to leave, he hates the place we live, (it's a wee village full of idiots) and to be honest we don't really have anything keeping us here other than family & friends. Obviously I would miss everyone loads but i think I could cope!

Kevin is a bricklayer to trade and started out on his own this year, his business is going really well here but he is just itching to do this while we're still young enough.

My biggest issue with going is that we have 2 little girls aged 3 and 9months just now,(if we're going to do this we want to be in oz by the end of next year)

i'm worried how the move will affect them, and about their schooling etc, i'm worried about them missing their grannies who they see all the time. I get quite emotional when I think about packing up all their toys and things...it's so silly!

Has anyone else moved with young kids, how did they cope? & is Adelaide a good family place?

Thanks

Nikki xxxx

hi nikki its lynnette here, were in the process of emigrating ourselves we have 21 yr old (not sure if shes coming with our grandson yet) 19yr old 10yr old 4 yr old and 2yr old, were trying to get over to adelaide before our son goes to senior school, think lil ones are far more accepting of new things than older ones, i was born in australia but havent been there since i was 7 (39 now haha) my other halves a plasterer so were fairly confident he can get work, i think the kids will be fine cos they are far more open to new changes than us adults, your family will visit and you can visit them, if you dont like ie you can always come back?? weve gotta make it work when we get there cos dont think we'll have 10k to fly ourselves and stuff back to uk again haha good luck and go for it lifes to short to sit round wondering :cute:

Hi Lynette Michelle Here. I know exactly how you feel. Ive got 2 children aged 4 and 6 . My 6 year old is already saying she doesnt want to leave her friends. Im sure that children adapt very quickly , its the adults that find it harder. I think if you are going to start the visa process do it asap. We started applying for a permanent visa 9 months ago (both nurses) and i reckon we have another 12 months to go at least before we reach Adelaide . Bestwishes Michelle

Guest kangomik

This is an old thread, but a good one.

Raises good issues.

If your worried about the move this is good, it means your thinking, thinking it through. So many just see the sunshine.

For others with small Children don't worry too much, they adapt so much quicker than we will. I guess early to mid teens provides obsticles, but the young ones are fine.

SKYPE makes the world such a small place, and is getting even more popular. When we first used it there would be 12 million on it, now it easily gets to 19 million and i think it topped 20 million the other week.

Because this is an old thread, the price of things have changed, the exchange rate is Dire. And the house prices have gone through the roof over here.

It's a better life for us over here.

Guest nicandchris

were heading over this time next year too and our son is 9 months now, sure well be fine and look forward to meeting up!

nic

Hello everyone!

Thanks

Nikki xxxx