How Long??

Guest louiesmum

Guest louiesmum

Hi all

Me again, just another Q. Once your visa was granted what sort of time frame were you given to move to Oz. Because we have been advised not to sell our house until our visa's are granted, but i've noticed a few have you seemed to have sold up before this! Any advice.

We put our house up for sale in Jan and were glad we did. It has taken us 9 months to sell. As we havent got our visa yet it means we will have to go into rented for a while, but the up side of this is that we will have rental references for when we go! If we hadent put the house up when we did we might have struggled to move in the 12m alowed.

Guest guest569

I believe you have exactly 12 months from the day you had your meds to enter oz and activate your visa. Once activated you then have 5 yrs from activation to come and stay.

Someone will correct me if i'm wrong.

Hope this helps.

( i was racing to the travel agents as fast as i could once the postie delivered the visa )

i guess it's a question of how soon you'd like to move over!

our plan is to get the house ready now and put it up as soon as we get acknowlodgement! - which is probably another 2 months :unsure: - and move into rented for the time being.

should make things easier once we actually get the visa. -

Guest dglamoore
Once activated you then have 5 yrs from activation to come and stay.

Very true unless it is an SIR visa as this visa is a 3 year temp visa that starts as soon as you enter oz :unsure: Right about the 12 months from police checks or meds to get to oz to validate your visa :cute:

Lisa:jiggy:

Guest stiffsimon

Hi Louisemum

Might be wrong on this one but I'm applying for the 136 visa and my understanding was that you have twelve months to activate your visa once the visa has been granted. You activate the visa by visiting Australia within the twelve month period and you then have five years from that point on to actually move there.

I was also of the understanding that your police checks are only valid for twelve months and that , obviously, your visa would need to be granted whilst your police checks were still valid but once the visa had been granted that the police checks were in effect redundant. I may be wrong on this point and I stand to be corrected and also that this information is pertinent to the 136 visa and different rules may apply to different visas.

Good luck anyway.

Simon

Guest guest569

No ... If after your police or meds it takes 6 months to get your visa ( worst case scenario ) you will still only have 6 months to activate.( 12 months to the day of your meds or police checks )

Hi Louisemum

Might be wrong on this one but I'm applying for the 136 visa and my understanding was that you have twelve months to activate your visa once the visa has been granted. You activate the visa by visiting Australia within the twelve month period and you then have five years from that point on to actually move there.

I was also of the understanding that your police checks are only valid for twelve months and that , obviously, your visa would need to be granted whilst your police checks were still valid but once the visa had been granted that the police checks were in effect redundant. I may be wrong on this point and I stand to be corrected and also that this information is pertinent to the 136 visa and different rules may apply to different visas.

Good luck anyway.

Simon

Unless things have changed, then , unfortunately your mistaken. It used to be 12months from police/medical checks. They will request these when youre getting near the visa end. If you have them done earlier to save time , then this is when the time starts from. This is why you hear of so many people coming for a validation trip, for varios reasons..........especially unsold houses!