Parents thing of moving to oz

Guest ozzyotter

Guest ozzyotter

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has dealt with a similar thing.

My mum and dad are planning to move over to Adelaide, they are pensioners and are both on medication.

I know they would get the medicare Reciprocal but until they are granted permanent residency - would they need to pay for medication or are there any agreements with the UK regarding aged parents and medications.:confused:

Any info would be great !!!!!

Many Thanks

Lynn

Guest Chandan

Not too sure about that.. but I was able to get some extra months meds before I came to last me 4 or 5 months.. get them to speak to their GP... they could just say they were going on holiday and needed extra to tie them over.. dont forget to get their doctors to write a letter explaining why and the amount of meds they have just in case customs are iffy that day.

Sorry to say that things are not easy for Parents to live in Aus. They can come for 12 months on a visitor passport, but would need a Parent Visa to live here long term. This can take up to 14 years for a free one or it can be fast tracked for about £35000, although even this takes about 12 months to get the Visa.

There are qualifying conditions as well, best to check out the IMMI website which gives all of the details.

Once they get their permanent Visa they qualify for Medicare, but will still have to pay the Gap at the doctors, and also pay for all Medicines. The other major problem is that they are not eligible for any assistance from the Australian government, and the Sponsor, presumably yourself will have to put up a A$14000 bond for 10 years. With the current exchange rates, living in Australia is not really viable for Pensioners only receiving English Pensions. We are returning to the UK shortly, even though we have Permanent residency.

Not Good News, but hope this helps.

Hi

Just wondered if anyone has dealt with a similar thing.

My mum and dad are planning to move over to Adelaide, they are pensioners and are both on medication.

I know they would get the medicare Reciprocal but until they are granted permanent residency - would they need to pay for medication or are there any agreements with the UK regarding aged parents and medications.:confused:

Any info would be great !!!!!

Many Thanks

Lynn

Hi Lynn,

From my experiance your parents would have to pay for all their medication and Doctors fees even when they have PR,although there is a Reciprical agreement it doesn't cover the cost of medication/ Docs fees.

Some doctors do bulk billing, so what you would pay is reduced.

To my knowledge there is no agreement with the UK.

Regards

Les

Guest ozzyotter

Thank you for all the info.

I thought it wouldn't be easy I guess my mum and dad would just need to come over on visitors status for the time being and bring along a suppy of medication.

Once again thanks for your responses.

Lynn.

• 1 month later...
Guest Janine3979

Hi,

My mum would also like to come and live over here with us, we are looking at to contributary parent visas, 173 and 143.

I just have a couple of question to anyone who may know,

If she were to apply for a temporary contributary parent visa (173) and moves out here when that is granted, would she then be able to apply for a permanent one (143) and stay until she recieves that even if the temporary one expires before she gets the permanent one? eg I've heard of bridging visas but don't know if it applies to these visas.

Also does she have to wait until we become citizens before she applys?

Guest WhatNow?

Not a citizen but a permanent resident - and it used to be that you had to be PR for two years beore you could sponsor, not sure if that is still the case. There is a very comprehensive thread on parent visas and bridging visas elsewhere on the site that you should read.