Junior Football(soccer)

Guest grants

My first post ever - usually done by my wife - I wondered if anyone had experience of this - I have a 9 yr old daughter who plays for Plymouth Argyle girls u10's and goes to school of excellence and 14 yr old son also a decent player (also into golf)- is there anything similar in and around Adelaide ? whats the standard like generally ? can they join mid way through a season as we will probably arrive about April 2008 - :skeptical::skeptical::skeptical::skeptical: Would really appreciate any comments on soccer generally which is my great love ! Whats the coverage like ? do you miss TV coverage talk sport etc ?

Shane 46, Janet 45 , Ollie 14 And Gaby 9 - visas granted just waiting to sell house (not easy!)

Guest sarahsmartiepants

My daughter plays football here, she plays for Cumberand united womens team, they have lots of teams for different ages. Another good team is adelaide city I believe. There is a boys team for both these clubs also.

Check out the SAWSA website (south australian womens soccor ass), sorry, not sure of the mans equivilant, just put it in google!

Just for your information, there a few girls in the under 17 team that play at state level and have done for a few years, I guess the next step would be playing for their country, as there are less people, I think there are more chances to get on, if they are that way inclined.

As for golf there are plenty of courses here...

Football on the TV, its all there on on foxtel (sky) just depends what time you want to be up to!

sarah

Guest dglamoore

Our 12 year old neighbour is off playing soccer every sunday (thats in between her surfing, skateboarding etc!!!) and is in a team that goes all over Adelaide playing games :D

Don't forget the sports seasons are different here to the uk and soccer/football seems to start around April. I am sure someone here will have more first hand experience than me and be able to help you more :wubclub:

Lisa:o

Guest ozadele

I don't think you ever get used to missing the English soccer. We have lived in Adelaide 20 years and my husband and two sons are still soccer fans. One of the issues with watching it on TV is the time difference...you have to get up in the middle of the night and the UK soccer is mainly on paid TV ( similar to Sky but paid TV here is Foxtell). There are however lots of local clubs for jnrs right up to seniors and even an over 35s team who play on Sun mornings in Adelaide. Lots of opportunity to coach if you are interested too. Hope all goes well with your move and I am sure you will love Adelaide and South Australia. :D:D

Best wishes ozadele

Just checked this post and oh how my other half will be pleased!

We know about the over 35's as my cousin played with them.

My husband is football daft and so is my son. My OH played for Motherwell and Clyde many a year ago now and has always wanted to get into the coaching side of this. So this sounds great.

It's great that there is plenty of scope for all no matter what age or gender!

Plenty of soccer teams for both girls and boys around Adelaide. Your daughter could play in a mixed team if she wished, or there are a growing number of girls' teams.

My daughter played for Adelaide City Women's for the last three years - there are about 8 girls clubs that I know of: Adelaide City, Adelaide University, Fulham, Cumberland, Para Hills, Metro United, South Adelaide, Elizabeth Downs, the Blue Eagles.. I know NAB and Modbury Jets have recently started girls teams too.

This is a good forum for football related stuff: http://www.footballnews.com.au/forum/index.php

The best players, as well as playing for clubs, can try out for various 'advanced' teams such as the District teams, Zone teams (North, South, East and West Adelaide - but you have to be registered with a club) and the SAPSASA teams (South Australian Primary Schools something something something) and be selected to play for state. There is a growing amount of school soccer going on too - the Districts hold what they call 'carnivals' each year which is where they scout for good players to try out for the District teams. There are also various "academies" around offering holiday coaching courses too. Arsenal Soccer Schools have just started in Adelaide as well.

Most of the 'top' (depending on your point of view!) teams hold trials for the next season in October, and the season starts around March, so you won't have missed much. The youngest team I know of for girls is Under 11's though and I don't think at club level they are super strict about pre-season registration for this age range, so you should have no trouble at all.

It will depend on where you will be living - we chose Adelaide City because it was centrally located and players come from all over Adelaide.

The Matildas is the national women's soccer team, and they played last year I think it was at the local stadium in the Asia Cup. Adelaide United is the local A-League mens' team. With then the Olyroos and the Socceroos to aim for nationally.

Diane

Thanks for all the replies - The link was really useful- Sounds like there will be plenty of football for the kids and me ! We are thinking of moving to Blackwood/Eden Hills area - Not knowing the area are any of the Junior Clubs mentioned near or reasonably accesible ?

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Thanks for all the replies - The link was really useful- Sounds like there will be plenty of football for the kids and me ! We are thinking of moving to Blackwood/Eden Hills area - Not knowing the area are any of the Junior Clubs mentioned near or reasonably accesible ?
Yes, Cmberland united, they train at Flinders and play home at Flinders. Corner of Shepards hill and South rd. So 5 mins from you,(depending where in blackwood). They have teams from under 11s up.

Check the SAWSA website they are on there

sarah