Scared new family alert!

Guest BECKYJAY

Guest BECKYJAY

Well our visas are though, it looks like we can afford it, and we've set the 1st of December as our leave date.

One half of the family given their blessings, the other side.. Not so good.

After an emotional roller coaster of decision making, I just wanted to say hello to everyone on a forum I have read, but not participated in.

Any advice anyone can give us for our last 10 weeks? How to say goodbye? Any advice about flights (with a 4 year old and a 20 month old)? Anything to be tied up in this country we may not have thought of?

Any advice welcome, very scared, but very excited!

Becky and family.

Guest Murphy642

Hi Good luck with everything.

We are in the same boat! 1 set of parents very pleased for us, 1 set (mine!) very unhappy..... But we think we have to give it a go and we can always come back if it goes horribly wrong but I am pretty confident it won't. Come on holiday for a month I say, more quality time - we don't like to travel economy they reply - is that my problem!!

In regards to the flights I would try to break up the journey. We went straight thru with only a 3 hour stop in Sinagpore both ways. With a 1 year old and a 6 years old! When we come across for good in Jan we are stopping for 2 days as it is too much for them to be so still for so long - in our opinion anyway. Good luck, stay strong and think about your new exciting life

xx

Guest BECKYJAY

Thanks for that, we think the same; can always come back if it goes wrong.

It's my parents as well who are the problem. Had another stressful dose of them today!

Thanks for the information regarding flights, we may well look into that - where's a good place to stop off for a couple of days? Who would you fly with to do this?

Guest Murphy642

Hey

I looked at a number of flight options and the options are basically Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong or Singapore. We went for Singapore for price, direct flights and we have never been there before. We flew with Qantas in Aug and they were brilliant and we have booked with them again.

HOWEVER Air Asia have a sale at the moment. Stansted-KL-Mel-Adelaide, bit of a pain to change that 1 time extra but £800 less than what we are paying. I suppose is timing or money an issue? I wish we had booked that and saved £800, never mind.

Anyway have you decided where you are living etc, we are going to rent for a year and altho we have looked at areas in Aug I am still in a dilemma where to live, depends on jobs that we haven't got!! Schools arghhhhh!!!

Lots to do!!

Guest BECKYJAY

We're looking at belair, to be near to the school of choice. We have all our belongings going in 2 weeks, so that hopefully they will be with us shortly after landing in the first week of december.

We might try to turn the trip into a short holiday of sorts, although money is an issue.

Dreading the flight. Thanks for the info.

Guest liamcnaught
Well our visas are though, it looks like we can afford it, and we've set the 1st of December as our leave date.

One half of the family given their blessings, the other side.. Not so good.

After an emotional roller coaster of decision making, I just wanted to say hello to everyone on a forum I have read, but not participated in.

Any advice anyone can give us for our last 10 weeks? How to say goodbye? Any advice about flights (with a 4 year old and a 20 month old)? Anything to be tied up in this country we may not have thought of?

Any advice welcome, very scared, but very excited!

Becky and family.

Hey Becky

Its such a mix of emotions..I remember it well feeling of elation on getting your visa and then the dreaded calls to tell family and friends. That was so tough..some happy and others couldn't even talk to me on the phone!!! I remember someone telling me way back at the beginning of this 'very long' process to remain calm and patient and allow everyone to vent their emotions cause there will be lots. Its really hard Becky!!

We are leaving six weeks tomorrow..OMG and we have booked our flights with Singapore Airlines....I have 4 boys..12, 8, 6 and 21 months so believe me I did my research and they rate very highly on this website and many others. They have a great reputation for dealing with kids.

How to say goodbye now thats a tough one and I guess everyone is different on how they want to tackle it. My friends and family are organising a party for us on the Friday before we leave (Monday) and that will be our opportunity to say all the goodbyes. Won't have the time to say it all individually.

If you do a search on 'Immigration Checklist' on search engine or even this website plenty come up.....

Any advice or help just ask

Liax

Hi

We have only been hear 2 weeks so know what it is like, although we did have full support of both families, but also left our adult children behind (although they are still my babies).

The final weeks are a nightmare, be prepaired, they are also so busy, you think one party would be enough but our family kept organising more so we had to create a calendar in the end.

Be ready for a full roller coaster of emotions, be ready to have second thoughts as your at check in, and cry buckets when you arrive as your sure you have done the wrong thing.

Just give it time, spend time together when you arrive and to settle in. People with children have said to sort their schools and clubs out first as once they are happy then you will be too.

Everything is still up in the air for us but loving it.

PS, also heard good things about singapore airlines, plus if you get the evening flights upstairs in the big plane hopefully your children will sleep.

Good luck

Guest The Dimmocks

We came over in Feb with 3 small children, they were really good. Think having their own tv was such a novelty they didnt really care about what else was going on around them. An hour into the flight they were all fast asleep and stayed that way most the way. We flew with Singapore and stayed in Singapore for 24 hours. We went to Waterworld which was great. didnt get much sleep in the hotel though as kids were wide awake. Second flight went well too, even with our eldest being sick an hour before landing. I know it easy for me to say but try not to worry to much about the flight. The goodbyes were hard. We flew from Heathrow which was to far for people to come and say goodbyes at the airport (one reason we flew from there).

Enjoy your time left in England as it will fly by. Have a safe journey over.

Michelle x

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there

I just remember having list after list at this stage....they were everywhere!!! Such a hectic time!

Make the most of the time left in the UK and althoughit seems hard fit in everyone you can while you can.

As Andi said, be prepared for tears at the airport........i didnt just cry, i was sobbing as i walked thro security to departure. If the kids hadnt gone thro may not have come!!!

Singapore airlines were FANTASTIC! Our boys are a bit older but loved the novelty of the individual tv's etc. Had a 6hour stopover and went swimming in the roof top pool at Singapore Airport....lovely and refreshing.

You are overwhelmed by emotions when you arrive and thats normal. Take it a day at a time.

This forum is great for advice or finding friends for a coffee or a glass of wine!

We spent hours sourcing soccer clubs for both boys.....and from there they were happier, made friends and we did too!

Take time to look at which areas you like and then look at the schools on offer.

It truly is a roller coaster guys.......Welcome Aboard!!!!!!

I looked at a number of flight options and the options are basically Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong or Singapore. We went for Singapore for price, direct flights and we have never been there before. We flew with Qantas in Aug and they were brilliant and we have booked with them again.

HOWEVER Air Asia have a sale at the moment. Stansted-KL-Mel-Adelaide, bit of a pain to change that 1 time extra but £800 less than what we are paying. I suppose is timing or money an issue? I wish we had booked that and saved £800, never mind.

For what it's worth I think you've made the right decision to come via Singapore - it's a great airport, and even if you only have five or six hours there between connections, you can go have a swim in the rooftop pool, have a shower - it's really just what you need after the first half of the trip to relax and refresh you before the last leg.

Air Asia too charge extra for everything - meals, entertainment, drinks (even water I've heard!) plus extra for checkin luggage. All your meals and drinks you have to pre-order as well, so particularly travelling with kids, it could easily turn out to be a false economy!

Guest Django

We flew out with 4 children aged between 14 months and 7. Singapore airlines were fantastic except they think that babies bottles should be served as hot as coffee. :err: We had a 9 hour stop over and used the pool too. Make sure you book a transit hotel room. This will give you somewhere to dump your bags, have free use of the pool and give you somewhere to grab a few ZZZzzzs or freshen up in a shower. There is plenty to do in the airport itself and the time will fly by.

As for managing the children on the long trip..... it went far better than we ever imagined it could.

Good luck (though you won't need it;))

Pete