Hi to all- help please

clan mac

Hi

We are clan mac from sunny Scotland. We are hoping to move to Adelaide and trying to make some links over there just now.

My hubby was a project manager for a construction company but he was made redundant in April 2009. Fortunately he is a joiner so was able to return to working on the tools again.

We are in the process of completing information for our agent Go Matilda regarding state sponsorship and we have been asked where we would like to live.

We did visit Australia in 2008, but my husband has a cousin in Brisbane we went there.

Can anyone help please, this is really important to us. My husband is used to commuting to get to work so would not mind having to travel.

We have 2 boys aged 12 and 14 who both LOVE RUGBY so I guess we would be looking to move to an area where the boys could indulge their enjoyment of sports. (I am a zumba fanatic so proximity to a good zumba class is a must!!!)

Any advice would be welcome please.

Sincere and grateful thanks

Lorraine aka Clan Mac x

Guest Guest75

Welcome to the site (PIA for short).

You'll love it here, so much info & support:D

Have a look back through older posts and use the search facility.

There are plenty of rugby players /fans and clubs here in Adelaide.

Very generally I'd say that Adelaide is very family based:D

Welcome to the site (PIA for short).

You'll love it here, so much info & support:D

Have a look back through older posts and use the search facility.

There are plenty of rugby players /fans and clubs here in Adelaide.

Very generally I'd say that Adelaide is very family based:D

I agree Adelaide is such a really family based city, not lived North but down here in the South it is great and cheaper but it's also nice in the hills too.

Hi

Have a look here for Rugby in SA : South Australian Rugby: Welcome

I'd have to say it's not huge in South Australia, like it is somewhere like NSW, but it is a growing sport here and I've come across quite a few people that are involved in it - we also have the International Rugby 7s here every year in April which is an event not to be missed!!

Try sending a PM to Jane (Messua on here : http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/member.php?u=5255) - I know her sons are heavily involved in Rugby here so I'm sure she'll be able to pass on some good info.

As for Zumba, there are great classes all over Adelaide - it took off here at about the beginning of the year and has grown hugely!

Where you end up living will depend on so many factors, such as where you will be working, schools, hobbies, and whether you like hills, beaches, wineries, rural, suburban, flat, lively, quiet..... the list is endless, but so are the choices! Wherever you are working, you will be able to find a really nice place to live within 30 minutes commute, easily, although some do compromise and commute further - my view is that I'd rather be home with a glass of wine than sitting in a car for any longer, but as I say, everyone is different, and everyone has different expectations, so keep an open mind and think what suits you best - if you've never been before, perhaps consider basing yourself fairly centrally when you first arrive until you've had a chance to have a good look around. Most people will be able to tell you the good points about where they have chosen to live, north, south, east or west (and all points in between) as of course, that's why they have chosen to live there!

Welcome to the site, and feel free to ask with any other questions.

Thanks to all who replied, I am very grateful.

Glad to hear that zumba is big - my name is Lorraine and I am a zumba addict!!

(might be looking for a 12 step program to assist with my zumba addiction!)

I think that we will rent for the first 18 months until we work out where we can afford to live. I like the look of Hahndorf though.

I sort of dread asking this but are there any suburbs which should be avoided at all costs?

I don't want to seem like a whining pom, but I spent last night reading statistics on socio economic disadvantage indicators as part of my research for the sponsorhsip application. To be hionest it bothered my conscience that I was trying to decide where I would like to live based on some bald stats.

On a more positive note, I have read really lovely posts on here, celebrating the beauty, culture and lifestyle in South Australia so that made me think that maybe I was being really picky last night.

Any advice would be welcome - sorry for rabbling, I am a chatterbox even in print!

Lorraine x

Guest Cornish Pasties

Hi Lorriane,

Think we are at similar stage to you...and yes didn't know where we should live but went to Down under seminar in B'ham couple of weeks ago & that helped. Talked to mig agents & they advised that for my hubbys job (he's Avionics Engineer) should head for Adelaide as lots of Defence jobs but presuming that joiners needed all over Oz! We visited Oz this year but did Perth/Sydney but not Adelaide unfortunately as didn't have a clue at that time. Looking at the photos on this site though it looks lovely & found google maps very useful (think I've literally walked the whole of Adelaide with my little man icon!) I have a young lad who is 12 in Feb but he is a soccer/scooter mad..obviously sports not a problem over there but we've got to live near a sk8 park.....the least of our worries I think but obviously his main concern! I am also a Zumba fan & infact heading off to my class tonight but heard it's pretty popular out there anyway so hoping will be able to continue. When are you hoping to make the big move? We plan maybe March 2012.

Zoe

Guest leemina

Hi Lorraine.

We've been through the sponsorship process and gained it this year (thank god). Our 176 visa went in on 17/8/10 so now waiting for CO (fingers crossed wont be too long).

I also have two boys (nearly 13 and nearly 11), the younger one loves being outside and wants to try all the sports that Oz has to offer, the eldest is more into the PC and xbox.

I also am a zumba fanatic, only manage to go once a week due to shifts though. Definately gonna search out a class when I get there, will be a good way to meet people I think. Got a zumbathon next week too, dont know how I'm gonna manage it :)

Anyway, it'd be nice to keep in touch with anyone that have got boys of similar age and especially zumba mad peeps like us.

Take care

Debbie

Guest Janine3979
Hi Lorriane,

Think we are at similar stage to you...and yes didn't know where we should live but went to Down under seminar in B'ham couple of weeks ago & that helped. Talked to mig agents & they advised that for my hubbys job (he's Avionics Engineer) should head for Adelaide as lots of Defence jobs but presuming that joiners needed all over Oz! We visited Oz this year but did Perth/Sydney but not Adelaide unfortunately as didn't have a clue at that time. Looking at the photos on this site though it looks lovely & found google maps very useful (think I've literally walked the whole of Adelaide with my little man icon!) I have a young lad who is 12 in Feb but he is a soccer/scooter mad..obviously sports not a problem over there but we've got to live near a sk8 park.....the least of our worries I think but obviously his main concern! I am also a Zumba fan & infact heading off to my class tonight but heard it's pretty popular out there anyway so hoping will be able to continue. When are you hoping to make the big move? We plan maybe March 2012.

Zoe

Hi Zoe,

We moved out here in June and my husband is an Engineer, just thought I'd warn you that defense job are difficult to find when you first arrive as many of them you need to be a citizen to work on the site. My husband planned to get a job in the aircraft industry but ended up having to into the car industry as it was so difficult to get a defense job.

Good luck

And if you need anything let us know.

Hi Lorraine,

Welcome!

Our local rugby union venue in the south is:

Onkaparinga Rugby Union Football Club Incorporated

(Wilfred Taylor Reserve)

Sports Park Drv

Morphett Vale SA 5162

My husband is rugby mad. We have Foxtel for the Super 14 (now super 15!) and the 6 nations and the Currie cup and the Tri nations etc etc!!!

My youngest son played scrum half for his school and it was a shock to find out just how little "proper rugby" is played in South Australia!

We stay in Port Noarlunga which is about 10 minutes away from the Wilfred Taylor sports grounds.

There's always the option of switching to Aussie rules!

Take care.

Tamara

Hi there, as regards suburbs to avoid, that's a bit of a minefield. I have some that I'd avoid, but posting their names up could offend people that live there, so best to steer clear of that!

What I suggest is you do some browsing on real estate sites such as Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au and http://www.domain.com.au Sort the properties by price, and consider that if 3 bedroom detached houses with garage look particularly cheap in a particular suburb, then there is probably a good reason for that!!

Street view as someone mentioned above is also a great research tool, but do bear in mind that the pics on it (certainly in the area where I live) were taken in the middle of a particularly hot and dry summer, which doesn't always show places at their best!!! It's much greener at the moment.....

Guest Chandan

If you check out what sports your school choices offer there is a start. I know that Kensington there was a Rugby League and Rugby Union teams.. I spent alot of my teens swooning at the Rugby boys :embarrassed:.... and I know there is a Zumba class 5 mins down the road in Burnside..There is a huge outdoor pool, transport links are hourly but biking everywhere is a possibility for the kids. All lovely green leafy areas.. pricey but it definatly lifts the mood..

I live in Edwardstown.. and my parents in Burnside.. when I drive over to visit them I notice how much more trees etc they have in the Eastern Suburbs..I appreciate nature alot more now as around here there seems to be hardly any trees and in Burnside/ Kensington/ Hazelwood Park there is an abundance..silly to base my opinion on trees, but I know in the heat of summer I will want some trees for the shade!! But then there is no beach.. its a half hour drive away. hills 5 mins and city 10 mins.. I would have a think about what you want on your door step and what you dont mind driving to.

We moved into our Rental without even researching the area, and were pleased to find

Castle Plaza shopping centre only a street away, which is so handy, but on hindsight we wished we had gone abit closer to my parents in the east (babysitting reasons only).

But you drive everywhere here and everything seems to be around 30 mins or less to get too so Adelaides your Oyster really..

Adelaide is awful...nothing to do....weather is pants, no decent festivals going in. no rugby union, i could go on and on !!!!

Only kidding, Adelaide has lots on offer, Rugby Union @ Brighton or where we go every noe and again The Onkas....we strted to watch them last year and it wasnt very good viewing, this season has been so much better they finished secon din the league to Brighton....

Lotsa festivals to goto catering for lotsa tastes....from Dance, Rock, Beer wine, stuff for kids..etc etc..we have been here over 2 1/2 years and have loved every moment of it we have kids 19,18,12, and 7....the only issues we have had have been not to do with Australia..more family issues....

Any other info just give us a yell.....

HG

Thanks so much to all,

Lots of good sensible advice, paper work has gone to agent who is "pleased" with my research! I believe that sponsorhsip application should be underway - any ideas how long these things take?

To Zoe - we plan to try to be there autumn 2011 - spring 2012, it really depends on how quickly our house sells and what the market is like at that time.

To Debbie - I did a zumbathon last Sunday, you will manage to do it because you'll get swept up in the vibe. I did a couble class last night it was tiring but I loved it. :notworthy:

I just want to say it's really great on here and how nice and welcoming you all are.

Lorraine x

Guest Cornish Pasties
Hi Zoe,

We moved out here in June and my husband is an Engineer, just thought I'd warn you that defense job are difficult to find when you first arrive as many of them you need to be a citizen to work on the site. My husband planned to get a job in the aircraft industry but ended up having to into the car industry as it was so difficult to get a defense job.

Good luck

And if you need anything let us know.

Hi Janine,

Thanks for your advice..have passed onto hubby. If you/your hubby know of any web sites for defense jobs/useful contacts that would be fab. Hope things are going well for you out there and you are settling in well.

Thanks Zoe :)

Thanks to all who replied, I am very grateful.

I think that we will rent for the first 18 months until we work out where we can afford to live. I like the look of Hahndorf though.

I sort of dread asking this but are there any suburbs which should be avoided at all costs?

I don't want to seem like a whining pom, but I spent last night reading statistics on socio economic disadvantage indicators as part of my research for the sponsorhsip application. To be hionest it bothered my conscience that I was trying to decide where I would like to live based on some bald stats.

On a more positive note, I have read really lovely posts on here, celebrating the beauty, culture and lifestyle in South Australia so that made me think that maybe I was being really picky last night.

Any advice would be welcome - sorry for rabbling, I am a chatterbox even in print!

Lorraine x

Hiya and welcome :)

Can I just throw in that Hahndorf, while lovely itsn't perhaps quite what you are hoping for. I have limited experience of it having visited a couple of times for day trips but there are a number of things I'd consider. There is very little going for it if you have teenagers or

If you are wanting town life over city living I'd suggest sticking with the outer suburbs of Adelaide (if SA and Adelaide area are the place you choose) simply so that you and your family have easier access to the facilites and things going on.

My memories of Hahndorf are that its very touristy, small and outside of its main streets, very quiet. I was disappointed in it range of actual shops but there were plenty catering to the tourist. It is very picture postcard of course which does add to its appeal when looking at it and reading up on it. It is steeped in German history and the houses and main street areas reflect this. Nice to visit, but perhaps living there especially out of season wouldn't be much to write home about.

Its a ways from anywhere and if your boys are rugby mad I can't see it will have much going on in the town itself for that and perhaps other past times.

I know city living isn't for everyone (myself included) but city and suburb living in Australia is *very* different from our idea and reality in the UK. There is simply so much space that housing sprawls out over far greater space and distance and unless you live in a block of flats or the actual city centre or some such, most suburbs have a very roomy feel and lots of parks built in to them as well as sports fields etc. People are not stacked up peering over your back fence like here. Most houses are single story so that helps for starters. You don't feel hemmed in or overlooked as you can here. Also you have the coastline and Adelaide being on the Gulf makes for great beaches and water. Living in the Adelaide area rather than more inland would potentially open far more doors socially and for your kids interests. Most people live on or near the coast in Australia. There are good reasons for this ;)

I'd give serious consideration to somewhere in or around Adelaide to start off (if SA is where you end up) as this will give your family the best chance to get into Aussie life and find your feet with regard to sports clubs, events and a social life. I personally like Glenelg (family live there) but its pricey. Brighton and a few surrounding suburbs are also on my like list :)

I'd say Adelaide is lovely and I have no problem with the thought of bringing our son up there when we locate back there in the next year or two. It isn't a massive city or so full on as to be overwhelming or feel lost in and while it has its faults, it does have a lot going for it. Its a beautiful city and places like the Botanical Gardens or the parklands are great as are the Adelaide hills and the coastline. My husband hails from Adelaide and would sooner live there over the larger cities of Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane. I can understand and appreciate his thinking and feel that as a family with a younger child and maybe another one in the future that Adelaide ticks our boxes better than some of the larger more expensive cities.

Feel free to drop me a PM if you'd like to see some of my pics from Aus and Hahndorf :) I have some online to view.

Thanks Snifter for your reply.

We will almost certainly be coming to Adelaide pending approval of our State Sponsorship application and visa.

I think that you make a good point though, you have to be there and decide when you're on the ground as it were, how far you are prepared to commute to work or how close you would like to live to the beach.

We don't really want to live out in the sticks but our budget may preclude us from even considering anything else. Again this is all dependent on where you end up working and how much you manage to bring with you form the UK.

I may well PM you if we get our sponsorship approved, I know it's a bit silly and superstitious waiting but I'm afraid to get my hopes built up in case they are dashed by yet another immigration rule change, but thanks for the offer.

Lorraine x

I think you'll be surprised at how reasonable it can be to live in Adelaide or one of its suburbs. Hahndorf isn't cheap as I understand it due to its popularity as a tourist destination.

Living in the sticks doesn't = cheaper when you have to consider travelling/fuel, shopping etc.

Have a look at some of the property websites, this one is good Real Estate, Property, Land and Homes for Sale, lease and rent - realestate.com.au to give you an idea of how much to expect to pay for a rental in an area. Check it on google maps so you can also get a feel for how far out you might be etc. Stay within the Adelaide area and I think you'll be surprised at what you will find available.

And feel free to drop me a PM anytime :) Moving anywhere is daunting, overseas to the other side of the world more so. I quite understand your concerns about ensuring you find the right place for your family location wise. I think renting is a wise move to begin with till you've had plenty of time to settle in and find your feet. We plan on renting the first 18 months when we go back over and ensuring we are then happy with where we end up.

Guest botanica
I agree Adelaide is such a really family based city, not lived North but down here in the South it is great and cheaper but it's also nice in the hills too.

Hi, we are moving to Adelaidre in mid of November.Please help us find an accommodation ranging from 100 to 120 AUDpw. We are three, including 6 yo daughter.

I am afraid that i am not finding it right.

thanks for your help.

Guest Chandan
Hi, we are moving to Adelaidre in mid of November.Please help us find an accommodation ranging from 100 to 120 AUDpw. We are three, including 6 yo daughter.

I am afraid that i am not finding it right.

thanks for your help.

sadly you will need to increase that amount. you wont find anything for that price and if you did, I would be worried about moving into it with a child:eek:

try realestate.com.au and have a look around on there to give you a better guide to what to realistically pay for property. when we were searching the ones that cost $200-$270 per week were not very nice at all. $280 and up seemed more cleaner and carpet that wasnt 20 years old.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Liz Hatton

We found realestate.com.au really useful and also nearmaps.com.au as it lets you look at properties at several dates over the past year (most of Adelaide is on it now but not all small towns in the hills), lets you see the difference between summer and winter and whether or not the garden/ public areas /graffiti etc.. are being maintained!

• 3 months later...
Guest Rob&SamThomas

Hi

We live in Gawler (northern suburbs) and our son plays rugby for Barossa Rams. There is a Rams website if you wanted to have a look at this www.barossarams.com I work in the city and this takes 45 minutes on the train and the new Northern Expressway is great and cuts down travelling time a lot. If you want any specific details drop me a PM, happy to help if able.

Kind regards

Sam