Newbie With Sights Set On Adelaide

Guest punkrokka

Guest punkrokka

I posted this on the PIO and was directed here.......................

Hello, We've got an opportunity to uproot the family and head to Australia through my wife's work in midwifery. It's a scary thought but there's really not very much in Hayes or the UK to keep us here.

It would be a blind move and no matter how much you read about places there's always something bad vs something good that causes uncertainty.

We went along to a skilled labour recruitment fair, listened to the area presentations and South Australia / Adelaide seemed to stand out. I keep reading that it's dull but we're not exactly looking for a place like the centre of London. Bands go there, there's a VW club, a Fringe Festival & Tuna Tossing......what can be bad ?

Waiting for IELTS results and we'll take it from there, any thoughts or advice on Adelaide would be appreciated.

I posted this on the PIO and was directed here.......................

Hello, We've got an opportunity to uproot the family and head to Australia through my wife's work in midwifery. It's a scary thought but there's really not very much in Hayes or the UK to keep us here.

It would be a blind move and no matter how much you read about places there's always something bad vs something good that causes uncertainty.

We went along to a skilled labour recruitment fair, listened to the area presentations and South Australia / Adelaide seemed to stand out. I keep reading that it's dull but we're not exactly looking for a place like the centre of London. Bands go there, there's a VW club, a Fringe Festival & Tuna Tossing......what can be bad ?

Waiting for IELTS results and we'll take it from there, any thoughts or advice on Adelaide would be appreciated.

Welcome to the forum i am sure you will love it here, ask away questions that you may have.....Adelaide is what you make it.....some good some bad.....as everywhere....alot depends on where you are coming from.....

Try not to compare although it is hard when you first get here....

We have a love it brigade here apparantly....:cute:

And also a bag Adelaide party too...gotta look after both sides of the fence.....

HG

A friend of mine has just written a fantastic book all about migrating to Australia - Adelaide in particular. It's just been published, and she describes it as "90 pages of fun, facts and opinions". I was lucky enough to have a read of the proof copy and honestly think it should be required reading for all new and potential immigrants! If you want more details, send me a PM and I'll pass on her details to you.

In the meantime, ask away with any queries and we'll do our best to answer them!

Welcome to the site

Diane

Guest theclarkes

Hi punkrokka, we too are heading for Adelaide with kids whose ages range from 1 yr old (today) to 17yrs old. We have done loads of research but just cant wait to get there to live the real thing. Good luck with your visa process.

Lorraine

Guest MandisFam

Hi there, We have hearts set on Adelaide. We went out to validate our visas back in May and loved it.

It doesnt have the wow factor like other places in Australia, but thats why we liked it. Its more liveable and you can actually imagine yourselves living there, where I personally feel that living in Sydney or the sunshine coast its kinda hard to get past the holiday mode feel.

Adelaide has everything to offer and more, you just have to be sort to go out and find it.

O and finally, dont bother posting about Adelaide on PIO, you will either get a ribbed to death or ignored, so stick to this forum for Adelaide.

Mandisfam

Guest Guest75

Hiya Punkrokka.

I've seen you around the forums.

Welcome to PIA.

Adelaide has plenty going on but you sometimes have to put the effort in to find it.

Adelaide nearly has something for everyone area wise, again, it can take time to find it.

Adelaide is not the UK but sunny.

Adelaide is family friendly.

Adelaide grows on you slowly rather than "In yer face"

We normally have 4 seasons but no snow ( this last winter was a cold one!)

Hope this helps.

The search facility is great - nearly every question you can think of has been asked and answered :cute::cute:

Guest ben&sharon

Hi,

From sunny Slough originally, so we also thought we'd miss the access to gigs that's so easy in London. But there's a couple of good festivals coming up in the next few months, and as far as I know, they're annual ones - certainly Soundwave is. That one's a big outdoor one - the other is at the entertainment centre, which has a 12,000 capacity, so a pretty good size place. Metallica are playing there next month as well.

Lineup | Soundwave Festival

No Sleep Til Festival 2010

Tha Manics are playing the Gov, which is much smaller, but I'm told it's an ace venue - pretty well known round here, but we've not managed to make it there yet. They get quite a lot of the mid-size gigs.

The Gov | Gig Guide | Lovin' live music since 1993

Must admit, it was one of the things that worried us about coming here - we like our gigs.............:)

Sharon.

Guest punkrokka
Hiya Punkrokka.

I've seen you around the forums.

Yeah, I've been lurking about here and there....Thanks for the info

Hi,

From sunny Slough originally

We were practically neighbours, London gigs don't appeal that much anymore, prefer to head out of town .... Thanks for the links, if I was over I'd probably go to Manics, might have ventured to Weller...my daughter would have gone to the Wombats & Hadouken.

So you've found plenty to keep you busy....How are the gig prices?

Guest ben&sharon

So you've found plenty to keep you busy....How are the gig prices?

In a word - shocking. Soundwave is $160 each and No Sleep $125. BUT we like a load of the bands on the bills, so if you look at it from the cost-per-band point of view, it's not too awful, really. And I suppose it saves the cost of going to loads of individual gigs!!

Guest the4hopes

We have been here 2 years, we have seen

Stay Cats, Alice Cooper, Marilyn Manson, Deep Purple, Paul Weller, missed The Cult (too expensive!) Tickets now for Manics, then Blondie and Pretenders!

Metallica sold out, Gorillaz think sold out too.