The Hannahs

Guest rockpool crab

Guest rockpool crab

Hi folks,

I've dabbled about this site for a few days and thought..how rude..I've not even introduced myself..tsk tsk :-)

I'm Carol Ann (42) married to Andrew (44) with two lovely boys, Michael (15) and Kieran (10). We live in Wemyss Bay in Scotland. Some of my immediate family happier to go than others...sigh.

I've hankered on and off to move to Australia for years but as the cut off is fast approaching (or am I having a midlife crisis..eeek)..I just thought..what the hell, lifes for living and all that.

We're going based on my degree and my job based as "systems designer"..very loosely classed and it worries me yet..but my agent assures me my work at IBM definitely covers aspects of that role. So I'm putty in her hands I'm afraid. So I'm a SIR visa (but just call me ma'am) but I don't need to actually do this type of work when I get there. Very odd I thought. But I do need to live in SA for 2 years and work for at least 12 months of this.

I'd love to do the sign off thing the way you guys do..but I don't know what half of it means..lol..TRA etc. But I'm sure as I keep watching I'll learn an awful lot.

Looking forward to chatting to you all as the year progresses.

Ta ta for now or TTFN as I like to say.

Carol Ann

PS.. my mum just told me they're repeating "wanted down under"..but at silly times like 2.10 am on BBC1 and that there's one on tomorrow morning.

Guest dglamoore

Hi Carol Ann

Have chatted so to speak on other threads but welcome :lol: again.

You can add a signature to 'sign off' in your profile which you get to from the link at the top of the page - you will see a signature box to fill in what you like......please keep it clean :wink: :lol:

TRA is a skills assessment for trades just to put your mind at rest :D

good luck with your visa journey

Lisa :D

Guest rockpool crab
Hi folks,

I've dabbled about this site for a few days and thought..how rude..I've not even introduced myself..tsk tsk :-)

I'm Carol Ann (42) married to Andrew (44) with two lovely boys, Michael (15) and Kieran (10). We live in Wemyss Bay in Scotland. Some of my immediate family happier to go than others...sigh.

I've hankered on and off to move to Australia for years but as the cut off is fast approaching (or am I having a midlife crisis..eeek)..I just thought..what the hell, lifes for living and all that.

We're going based on my degree and my job based as "systems designer"..very loosely classed and it worries me yet..but my agent assures me my work at IBM definitely covers aspects of that role. So I'm putty in her hands I'm afraid. So I'm a SIR visa (but just call me ma'am) but I don't need to actually do this type of work when I get there. Very odd I thought. But I do need to live in SA for 2 years and work for at least 12 months of this.

I'd love to do the sign off thing the way you guys do..but I don't know what half of it means..lol..TRA etc. But I'm sure as I keep watching I'll learn an awful lot.

Looking forward to chatting to you all as the year progresses.

Ta ta for now or TTFN as I like to say.

Carol Ann

PS.. my mum just told me they're repeating "wanted down under"..but at silly times like 2.10 am on BBC1 and that there's one on tomorrow morning.

Is there anyone else going who doesn't have a job to go to? (scared, but still going!) :-)

Guest Guest75

Welcome!!! :D:D:D

We are settled here after nearly 7 years now.

We came with jobs.We had to go into business under our visa.That's been fun to say the least but we've got there!

Hi Carol Ann

We are also applying for a SIR 495 visa - under my husbands job, Hes an IT project Manager, but he is going under 'General Manager'.

Hubby has a very good job and career here and is giving it all up for our dream down under - he doesnt have a job to go.

When we first started the process, I wasnt bothered about chris getting a good job when we get there(just thought, yeah, he'll get something).......but now its getter nearer to the time of leaving, I am getting concerned, and worry that he may not get he right job and earnings that he wants(and I need!)....................our lifestyle depends on him!

The worst that can happen , is that he doesnt get a job straight away and he has to take a lesser job for a while...................

He who dares wins!!

sarahx

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann

We are also applying for a SIR 495 visa - under my husbands job, Hes an IT project Manager, but he is going under 'General Manager'.

Hubby has a very good job and career here and is giving it all up for our dream down under - he doesnt have a job to go.

When we first started the process, I wasnt bothered about chris getting a good job when we get there(just thought, yeah, he'll get something).......but now its getter nearer to the time of leaving, I am getting concerned, and worry that he may not get he right job and earnings that he wants(and I need!)....................our lifestyle depends on him!

The worst that can happen , is that he doesnt get a job straight away and he has to take a lesser job for a while...................

He who dares wins!!

sarahx

Gosh you've no idea how much that helps. That's there's other people out there going with no jobs. I too feel like we're giving up a lot..both myself and hubbie have good jobs. Based on the "advertiser" roles I see I feel that we will get something (eventually)..but it's still a scary thought...especially as the wages seem less. I estimate we may drop around 25K a year, which is a huge loss really. But if we can survive on whatever money we do have coming in then it'll be worth it.

Just wish we could set up a business though. Feel that would be the answer.

And you're right...he who dares wins, it's a gamble but it can certainly pay off in the end. Sounds like your hubbie will be fine. I've seen that type job a lot in the online agencies. No problems there I'm sure.

When do you actually go now?

Carol Ann

Guest donna T

Hi there

We have no jobs to go to either - leaving a wonderfull house/road/neighbours as well as really close family and wonderfull friends. Hoping for a better life for our beautiful children (and us).

Taking a big gamble but I am absolutely rock sure that we are doing the right thing (most days anyway :D )

Good luck

Hi

We are also applying for the SIR based on me as a secondary school teacher - although I don't really want to teach full time if we get there :roll: My OH is hopefully going to get a job he is an IT project manager and also used to work for IBM. Know what you mean about no jobs and lower salaries and leaving friends and family - but hey sunshine, outdoor life, new friends and spiders :twisted:

Cari

Guest dglamoore

We both are self employed here - OH runs a metal polishing company and I am a freelance web designer. We are setting up Gregs business again in oz and taking the tools etc in the container, I just need my laptop :lol: :lol:

Fingers crossed it will work - we will let you know next year :shock: :lol:

Lisa :lol:

Hi Carol Ann

Glad reply helped. Chris believes that we will have to take a bit of a cut....but we've moved out from our beautiful home into a 2 bed apartment....living area, computer and kitchen all in same room.......and its fine! infact, the kids really like it.....so I know that if push came to shove, we can survive on a much lower standard of living, and its not that bad - infact we're having fun - the kids prefer our apartment to our home!!

The main thing for us, is that we will have more time together and be able to spend more time outdoors in lovely weather......

We are flying out on 15th august.....

Cari

I see that your hubby is also a IT project manager - ours will have lots to talk about at the west mids meet! Really looking forward to it.

Speak soon all

sarahx

Guest emmylou

Hi Carol Ann

Just wanted to say hi and that like lots of people on this site I'm also going without a job. I work as a teacher and to be honest I will do anything when I get there until I can secure a teaching job. It's all really scary and I have moments when I think 'oh god, what am i doing?' This whole experience is such a roller coaster but at the end it will all be worth it!!

Good luck and post any questions you have. Someone on this great site will be to answer them!

Take care

Emma

Guest Bex & Nick

Hi Carol Ann & family

Nice to meet you.

It's scary but worth it is what I tell myself. Nick and I are going out without jobs too, so glad to see we're not the only ones taking the gamble. I'm a trade mark attorney (almost, just waiting for exam results) and Nick's a Company Secretary. I guess that we'll do pretty much anything initially and see where it leads us - neither of us are 100% committed to our careers at the moment so don't mind looking around.

Bex

Guest rockpool crab
Hi Carol Ann & family

Nice to meet you.

It's scary but worth it is what I tell myself. Nick and I are going out without jobs too, so glad to see we're not the only ones taking the gamble. I'm a trade mark attorney (almost, just waiting for exam results) and Nick's a Company Secretary. I guess that we'll do pretty much anything initially and see where it leads us - neither of us are 100% committed to our careers at the moment so don't mind looking around.

Bex

Hi there,

Everyone seems to have really good jobs at the mo. I'm sure you will all get something down under.

I feel like a break from what I usually do to be honest (IT). I did research at a local hospital a few years back, I'm contemplating going back into that. There's a few universities so hopefully that might be an option too. Although being a post woman appeals to me :-). Saw that on another website..walking around in the sunshine, chatting to people..not a bad life if you can get it.

Like you..I'll do pretty much anything initially. I've always worked so I need to be confident about it..but I can't help having the jitters.

Thanks to all who have posted saying they too are going jobless!..it definitely helps to hear people who are as mad as each other..lol.

Catch you later

Carol Ann

Hi Carol Ann

We are waiting for the SIR495 visa, Ashley is the main applicant as a painter & decorater, currently self employed doing very well but all to be given up for our dream life in Oz, he will then become an employee - once he finds a job that is 8) Its a worry for everyone I think but lets just hope the skills shortage is for real & they give us Brits a look in :wink:

I jobshare for Boots The Chemist (3 days) now called Alliance Boots, been there 21 years since school, as an Assistant Supply Mgr, side-kick to the Supply Manager but we do all the work & don't get the credit :wink: I assist managing Cosmetics & Skincare into our international supply chain -quite boring really but pays well 8)

So I think we all give something up along the way, we hope this will give us the better quality life & would rather have done it than think 'what if.....'

We have 2 boys to aged 10 & 6 both have mixed feelings about emigrating, they are at a good age though but it will be hard when you leave family behind :cry:

Good luck

Angela