The Moores have arrived!

andy and lindsey

Hi there

Thought I would fill you all in on us (if you are interested - read on!). We are Andy, Lindsey, Thomas and Oliver and we arrived on Wednesday. I dont think that anyone can be prepared for how devastating the goodbyes can actually be - we stayed the night before our flight in a hotel and I think this helped greatly as to get on the plane feeling as gutted as I did when we left (Andy's parents in particular) would have been horrendous!. The day of our flight we were all excited and had a great flight - suprising I know with two littlies! We had a three night stopover in Singapore (stayed in the Carlton Hotel) had a great time - Can highly recommend the Zoo, absolutely fantastic, my children absolutely loved it (aged 3 and 5). My three year old Oliver (who is a loveable handful) was so enthralled by the lemurs and the fruit bat in the fragile forest that he put his head through a wooden fence to take a closer look - and subsequently got it stuck:arghh:. We were very quickly surrounded by about 20 people who all attempted to assist us in removing him (Andy at this point was laughing as I was attempting to pin back Olivers ears whilst Oliver was screaming hysterically!). He had people pulling his legs and arms and after what seemed like ages we managed to remove him - complete with bruised ears. We then went on to the Night Safari - again absolutley excellent - (just remember to get some industrial strength insect repellant). We got taxis everywhere we went and found them to be excellent value for money - Never paid more than 15 singapore dollars for any journey. The shopping is an absolute delight, Orchard Road is about 1 - 2 miles long and is literally a road which has shopping centre after shopping centre (all which would put Meadowhall and The Trafford Centre to shame - sorry I am a northener!)

The theory was that those three days would help with the jetlag - how wrong was I! We have been to Australia before and have never suffered as badly as we have this time with the jetlag. We spent two nights in Singapore (all 4 of us) watching movies - fine I might hear you say, but it was 3am! I wonder if the stress of the weeks leading up to our leaving the UK and the fear/excitement of what was waiting for us in Adelaide all contributed.

We landed on a cold/rainy day and were promptly collected from the airport by the lovely people we had arranged car hire through. The drive to the depot was silent and when we got out of the car my five year old said that he wanted to go home as he didn't like it here (that for any parent is heartbreaking!) and Andy and I just felt shellshocked (we have been to Oz before, but we we went to Perth and visually they are very different :wideeyed:)- I have spoke to others who have felt similar. Andy has struggled a little and I know that we are only a few days in so this is to be expected but to know that others have felt the same is a comfort. At the moment I have been more 'up' and Andy more 'down' but I know that could change.

We are staying in a fabulous rental (Thanks Judi!) all the comforts that we could need - and have been made so welcome. The day after we arrived we went to a lovely indoor play area the children had a ball! Today we went into the city and sorted out TFN, medicare and family assistance - Andy met his new boss which has heped enormously in Andy feeling a little more settled as there is some security there (he's a nurse). We have driven around a few suburbs but in the UK we had set our hearts (rightly or wrongly) on being in the south and we found that for now Seaford Rise ticks all the boxes - we have found a lovely rental (thanks guys - you know who you are), had a fabulous meal at the Port Noarlunga hotel (very reasonable prices) and are now all set for the next hurdle (waiting for our 59 boxes and sofa, finding schools, furniture playgroups etc). Andy keeps comparing the whole process to a horse race - the goodbyes being Beechers Brook, and arriving being the Chair so I guess we have the Water Jump and a few others to go. We are getting there! Will keep you

posted!

Will let you know when (or if) we reach the owners enclosure

:)

Lindsey, Andy, Thomas and Oliver

congratulations on having made it to the end!!

although according to andy the race has only started :jiggy:

shame about the jetlag really! but soon everything will be forgotten.

i hope you'll find everything you were looking for :cute:

with the little ones: how do you manage to get all the things done? do you drag them along? or split up? or do kids things and then other things??

that's the bit i am dreading ... car/house/job hunting with the kids in tow :wacko:

good luck and keep us posted ;)

if you are interested

Of course we are. Sounds like the stop over was fabby. If we do I must remember to take a tub of vaseline for the ears.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Hope the jet lag will subside soon. Good luck with the settling in. Keep us posted.:)

Pete

Guest massive

WOW!!!!

Glad to hear you have all arrived save an sound. The good byes must have been horrid thats my worst fear anyway good luck 2 you all and hope its everything you are wishing for takecare

The Kershaws in sunny England (not)

Guest donna T

Welcome to Adelaide - you seem to have got a lot sorted.

Any time you would life a playdate with your little ones - let me know, there are plenty of toys here to keep them occupied for a while ;) I remember what it is like when they don't have much to play with until the container arrives.

Donna x

Welcome The Moores.......

Yes, the goodbyes are horrendous..it still hurts to think about that horrible day when we left........Your jetlag situation sounds just like ours - we stayed for 4 nights in Singapore (the zoo was fab!) and I thought the same as you - that it would sort us out - but I just couldnt sleep at night either...I still very very jet lagged for about a week since arriving in Adelaide.

We are in Seaford Rise and we love it - its a lovely area for young kids - Im sure you're going to feel settled here. The first 2 weeks for us was really hectic - but it'll slow down.

Hope all continues to go well - and the weather is set to be lovely this weeks

sarahx

Guest Guzzler&Sas

Hi,

Welcome to Adelaide/Australia, remember to keep focused and plenty of positive attitude, you sound like you have got off to a flying start.

For those of you in the UK, the goodbyes are crap and there is no easy way to do it, I would recommend saying goodbye at home and not at the airport where you just tend to drag it out.

Just like others we also did a stopover in Singapore, the London flight to Singapore was quite easy with the girls (17months & 3), but the Adelaide flight was a nightmare, the girls would just not sleep.

All the best

Guzzler

See the sun has started shining for you!!! 4_1_203.gif

You've guys have done so much in such a short time, you've not even been here a week!

I'll see you on Wednesday!

Judi x

sig.jsp?pc=ZSzeb114&pp=ZNxuk137YYGB

Guest cunnah10

Hi Sarah

You may not remember me Gill(cunnah10).I chatted to you before you left the UK so it was lovely to go back on this site after so long to find that you have now moved and settled in Adelaide!You are very brave!We are hoping to move there ourselves but i am having 2nd thoughts due to the awful guilt i feel leaving my elderly,ill parents and taking away their 4 beloved grandchildren.How do you deal with it without having a complete breakdown!We got government sponsorship 6mths ago for our SIR visa and so we "have" to sign up this week and hand over our final fees if we wish to continue for the actual final stages!I just wish it wasn't so hard!My head tells me what a great life for us as a family and especially for my kids "but" my heart says how could i be so cruel deserting my parents when they need us most!But it really is now or never for us!I really don't know much about Adelaide and have no friends or family there and this really worries me!Although i am very sociable and think having 4 young kids will open up plenty of opportunities to make new friends!Do you know what the job situ is for Telecommunication Engineers?Although hubby willing to change career!What is the overall job situ like really as i keep hearing different stories!Also please tell me that the fly and mossie situ is not as bad i have heard during the summer!I keep questioning would i be doing the right thing leaving this not so bad life behind in the UK and destroying my parents in the process!I would hate to make the wrong decision but on the other hand i would hate to have regrets and not at least given it a go!So looking forward to hearing from you again!You made me giggle many times last time i chatted to you!Who knows i may even get to meet you one day.I will defo have 6 of us who will need regular haircuts!!

Bye for now!

Gill

• 1 month later...

Welcome Andy & Lindsey. Those goodbyes are my most wrenching memory of leaving the UK. I must confess it was hard in the beginning but hang in there - it will be worth it. After 15 years I konw we made the right decision!

Pam