what have i done?!

Guest Guest3980

Guest Guest3980

Hi all,

I earn more dosh over here, have better working conditions and can enjoy a long hot summer by the beach.

So why do I still, after a year, strongly dislike SA and have a completely unfounded dislike for Australians?

By complete contrast my mrs loves it here, does this sound familiar?

I think it takes a while to call a place home. 12 months isn't a long time.

As for not liking Australians well there must be something wrong with you cause we are a beaut bunch of people LOL. Truly tho maybe you are mixing with the wrong Aussies, no one is perfect and we need to be discerning with who we hang out with.

I agree with Jonsparks. But I do think it's only in the construction industry. I haven't met a single Aussie bricklayer that wants to help - they actually go out of their way to give us hell. And that is on every site I've been on. My Mrs does the school run, house wife stuff and doesn't experience any of this. I think she reckons I'm making it up as her Aussie mates are lovely! Ask any English brickie and they will say the same - sorry to any die hard PIA brigade but it's the truth and I'm making a bloody hard go of it here and will make it work.

We even had our tools stolen from work, the other trades tools were safe so it was obviously another brickie - would NEVER happen in the UK.

It seems to me they all need the tough beardie macho V8 image, I haven't got a beard, have a reasonable IQ so don't fit in.

Just my twopenneth worth of the construction industry here that I'd love to escape from.

Damo

Guest moonraker1959

If not liking aussies is the least of your worries,I'd say you're lucky!:biglaugh:Seriously I have numerous aussie mates(I live in the UK now)and they are the nicest,most honest,loyal friends I've ever had!!!! I think you need to get out more(And I don't mean that in a nasty way either).My OH and I were back in SA last year(OH validating his spousal visa)and he was pleasantly surprised at how friendly people were,and this was sometimes complete strangers!!!I find people in the UK in general too reserved and clicky myself and I'm a pom!!!! I'm sure you don't do this but just incase you do,its quite helpful not to talk about your homeland to aussies too much,they personally dislike it if you are continually saying "Well in the UK we don't..........or in the UK we do it this way type convo's?!

I don't do any of the 'we did it this way back home' stuff. Adelaide is my home now. You obviously haven't been on a building site here. Away from work the locals are a great bunch, it's just the building trade that attracts all the idiots. They shout and scream at each other, treat people like a piece of dog poo, the attitude stinks!

I get out a lot thank you, every other Aussie I meet fishing, at the surf club etc are great, just not the builders.

So why do I still, after a year, strongly dislike SA and have a completely unfounded dislike for Australians?

The post does say "unfounded dislike" it sounds like the other replies actually don't think all Australians are a bunch of @#%#@ but there are valid reasons for not liking someone - which is not based on their nationality.

Hi all,

I earn more dosh over here, have better working conditions and can enjoy a long hot summer by the beach.

By complete contrast my mrs loves it here, does this sound familiar?

I know what you mean And I have been here a lot longer. As for a dislike for Australians I find a lot of them rude forward don't have any manners to name a few things . I know they greet you in the shops and say have a nice day etc but they are made to do it by the management.

Guest kangomik
I know what you mean And I have been here a lot longer. As for a dislike for Australians I find a lot of them rude forward don't have any manners to name a few things . I know they greet you in the shops and say have a nice day etc but they are made to do it by the management.

What planet are you on?:biglaugh:

Guest Guest3980

I chose the word unfounded because although I do find the aussies a pain in the arse to work with (many cant even flush a toilet) I havnt really had a run in with anyone and dont intend to.

So why the feelings? I dont think I realised how much of a proud Englishman I was or how homesick I would be. Seriously, every time I hear the foodland ad "The mighty south aussies yeah" I feel so bitter!

So for now ill continue to grin and bear it in the hope things will improve, obviously cant do that forever though.

Cheers guys.

Guest Fluterby
Guys grow a set and pack your bags. If something this small get on your nerves then it's not for you. Talk about seeing the bigger picture.

Have fun back in the UK

You obviously have a problem with people having their own opinions. Get a grip of yourself and grow up.

Well, I can definitely see where you are coming from. After six years here, there are lots of little things that do irritate me - which is why I'll be supporting the English in the Ashes whether they win or lose! The arrogance of some aussies is just asking to be taken down a peg or two (ahem.... Ricky Ponting...ahem!!)

For me it's a matter of taking pride in who and what you are, and finding the good things about where you are. The wildlife and the countryside round here are stunning, and when the sun comes out and the jacarandas are that brilliant mauve shade against a clear blue sky, it sure feels like one of the best places on earth! Remember that all aussies, like all Brits are not the same - try and see people as individuals: there are tossers all over the world, not just in Adelaide!!

Guest Guest3980

A year ago when i used to check this forum for info whilst still in England, i used to read the same sort of topics as this and think "god, not another over emotional tart banging on about homesickness". I now know its not to be underestimated!

Some good advice though guys, particularly from Kangomik who somehow manages to get an internet connection to his cave, 200mtrs below sea level.

Guest kangomik
Probably explains why Kangomik has settled in so well - same attitude as the idiot tradies lol!

:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I find SA to be the oposite of what you experience, prople are very friendly and very helpful. I get to work at many different sites across the Adelaide area on a daily basis and have never met anyone who has not been helpful.

Now back in the UK that was a different story!

So I guess you are 100% spot on, I have settled in well - thankyou.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am off to my cave now in the wonderfull Adelaide hills to make the most of what the place has to offer and not get hung up on petty things.

Guest Sachertorte

It's all getting your head round the concept that things are done differently everywhere! People in the UK are often heard saying "Bloody Europeans" but we Europeans are quite a different bunch.

Even asi ndividuals within the same country we behave differently and have different likes and dislikes. Get excited about the difference and embrace it!

I also failed to become fond of certain Aussie typical traits but hey, as the song goes "This is Australia" (pronounced 'estralia) :biglaugh:

Guest kerfumph
:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I find SA to be the oposite of what you experience, prople are very friendly and very helpful. I get to work at many different sites across the Adelaide area on a daily basis and have never met anyone who has not been helpful.

Now back in the UK that was a different story!

So I guess you are 100% spot on, I have settled in well - thankyou.:biglaugh::biglaugh:

I am off to my cave now in the wonderfull Adelaide hills to make the most of what the place has to offer and not get hung up on petty things.

Cave? You're more swampy I would say.

Guest mark&rachel

Some very interesting thoughts, I dont work in the tradie industry but ive noticed some aussies are stubborn and dont think they embrace us in the country. Saying that im sure there are some people who share the same opinion about people who emigrate to England from Europe.

Some aussies are ignorant but then so are some english, irish, germans etc etc. Its same $hit different but nicer (in my opinion) place with more to do.

As for tradies nicking your tools that is just not on. There is a line and thats crossed it. Obviously no trade loyalty.

For those that are unsettled then best of luck getting through it. My mate who moved to Canada told me it took him 7 years before he called it home.

On a side note i hear the UK government are PAYING convicted foreign convicts to go home. How bizarre why not just send them without paying them!!!!

Guest Guest3980

Hahaha, yeah I bet they are.

BTW got a parking ticket yesterday for parking in the opposite direction of travel:err:

Yep, SA really does grow on you. Bit like a wart or varooka.

Guest WhatNow?
Hahaha, yeah I bet they are.

BTW got a parking ticket yesterday for parking in the opposite direction of travel:err:

Yep, SA really does grow on you. Bit like a wart or varooka.

Ooops! Should have read my book (p39)! How much was the fine for such a heinous offence?