Help!!

Guest Linn Family

Guest Linn Family

We are currently in the process of obtaining our visa, we have passed the tra assess. We are still trying to decide between Adelaide and Melbourne. We have 3 young boys, 1 who is very sporty. My husband is a mechanic. We are wondering if there is many mechanic jobs in Adelaide and also what the schools are like for the boys. Has anyone got any advice!!!

Have you got a coin??;):biglaugh:

Research is the key. The reason we dismissed Melbourne was because of its size. As an ex Londoner that moved to Lincolnshire to get away from the big smoke my decission was easy. I think you will find Adelaide will have all you need for a good active family life. The one thing I can't help with is the job front regarding mechanics. But those already over there will be getting out of bed soon and will probably have an answer for you.

Take a look at http://www.adelaidebound.com/ and you will see what Adelaide has to offer you and your family.

Pete

We are currently in the process of obtaining our visa, we have passed the tra assess. We are still trying to decide between Adelaide and Melbourne. We have 3 young boys, 1 who is very sporty. My husband is a mechanic. We are wondering if there is many mechanic jobs in Adelaide and also what the schools are like for the boys. Has anyone got any advice!!!

Adelaide always needs mechanics, especially now with Volkswagen having a main dealership and now Skoda arriving, as for the wages though cant help you there.

Adelaide has lots of sports facilities for the young, all depends on what you are looking for.

Adelaide is a lot quieter and smaller city wise than melbourne so research is essential.

As for schools this is a whole can of worms.......RESEARCH.

Guest The Wright Move

Hi Linn Family,

We have lived in Adelaide for 7 years and work takes me to Melbourne. I would describe Melbourne as very similar to London and hence we chose Adelaide. Mechanics are in big demand especially if you are a Diesel mechanic ??

We have two boys 10 and 6, both are very active and enjoy sports. I guess Adelaide appeared a natural choice for our family because its not as full on as London and weekends are for family here.

I would say you need to holiday in each place before you decide ?

Jim

Guest Aussiebound

Hi

We cannot help with your decision but just to let you know you are not alone in knowing which state to go to. We are hoping to go September 08 and until recently was set on Adelaide, then we noticed how many jobs there where in Queensland and now cannot make a decision. Adelaide seems to be offer the best allround for the family, and Queensland can apparently be very humid. We are confused, and its not easy when you have never been to the country!!

Hope you find the advice to make your decision.

Sarah

Guest nikki283

Hi Linn family

Adelaide is the cheapest city in Oz apparently for everything, we have family in Melbourne, who when they came to visit, filled their car with all kinds of things that they said were a lot cheaper in Melbourne and I'm sure jobs is not a problem, take a look on www.careerone.com.au or www.seek.com.au. As for schools, there are a lot of really good, cheap private schools here in Adelaide, some co-ed and some single sex, it may pay to check out school fees on the internet before you decide as I understand, the private schools in Melbourne are more costly.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

Nikki

Guest Libby1971

Hi

As others have said research and research. During the 11 years it has taken us to get here I think the only places we hadn't considered at one time or another were Darwin and Sydney.

More recently we were in the same position - Adelaide or Melbourne....?

We are not big city folk, we came from a large market town in Oxfordshire so not exactly the back of beyond either. That being said we are moving to the other side of the world so I wanted a few perks like a reasonable house for my money and proximity to the city as well as better weather. I don't like looking like a packhorse when I go out so the thought of experiencing most forms of weather in one day as is reported in Melbourne was, for us, not attractive.

But we were lucky in that we came on the 136 visa so that if we found we had made a terrible decision, we could move.

Adelaide has the feel I was looking for. I wish I could explain it more. Family focused, warm, friendly (idiots in the roads but you can't have everything), kids are kind, beaches are great and this is what we came for.

With regards to schools it depends on what you are looking for.

We have found both good and bad private and state schools. Some private schools here are trading on reputation and have a much worse problem than some of the state ones. That being said there are good and bad areas of everything. If you want more detail on this, pm me because as muppetbro says education is a controversial matter and can arouse strong emotions.

My husband and I are teachers and both our daughters (14 and 11) attend the local state schools for the moment. I have no reason to think that this won't continue. The eldest is a high acheiver and is being stretched so we aren't worrying.

Good luck!!

Libby