New Girl!

Guest Clarebear

Guest Clarebear

Hey, New to this site. Have been using the pomsinoz site but as it looks like Adelaide is where we are heading I though this would be a good place to be!

So Hi!

Clarebear:cute:

Hi

Welcome to the site, any questions you have - ask away! Always someone around to help and offer advice.... often very conflicting advice but hey! that's life!

When are you planning on coming? Have you visited Adelaide before? It's a sleepy little town that grows on you the more you get to know it!

Diane

Guest Guest75

Welcome to PIA!

Lots of help in here, Adelaide is one of the more quiet cities but great from bringing youg families up.

:D

Have a look through the forum, use the search engine as most questions have been asked!

Guest Clarebear

In my dreams we will be Down Under by this time next year?! My husband has sent off his docs to Vetasses so we are waiting for a positive reply from them soon!

We live in a seaside town here in the uk, full of retired people. I bet Adelaide is still livelier than here! Trying not to get too excited as my oh is self employed so getting evedence for Vetasses was a long process, just hope we are good enough!?

Thanks for your replys guys x

Guest Clarebear

Thanks for all your comments guys! It's nice where we live here in the UK but so geared up for pensioners, so I will have to search for the right suburbs for us. Any suggestions...maybe I'm jumping the gun not even had skills done yet!:jiggy:

Guest jordanfamily

We moved to aldinga which is great with lots of children .It is a bit away from Adelaide city but within driving reach. Rental prices are lower and we got the beaches !! Good luck I remember it well it is so stressful but worth it

Jo

Guest kangomik

Lytham st Annes gate way to heaven for the millionares!:biglaugh:

Compared to the rest of the cities in Aus Adelaide is classed as the same.

In fairness it's huge and there is plenty to do, especialy for young families. It is not the buzz of blackpool just up the road from you LOL.

Glenelg area maybe your cup of tea, but it comes at a cost, going too far down south into mexico and you maybe seeing the same set up as fairhaven lake and the beach behind it. With the ice cream hut to boot. Same thing with the hills, it can be stunning but get very lonely very quickly.

You will have to choose your area well if you want a change in lifestyle, most move here for a more relaxed pace of life, but i guess seeing all those people sitting on the stairway around Lytham may mean you want a little faster pace of life.

Guest Clarebear

Kangomik,

Well not that fast paced, but just less biased toward the senior population! I hate Blackpool and wouldn't want anything like it in Aus, you seem to know the Fylde coast well!? How come?

Guest Clarebear
We moved to aldinga which is great with lots of children .It is a bit away from Adelaide city but within driving reach. Rental prices are lower and we got the beaches !! Good luck I remember it well it is so stressful but worth it

Jo

Aldinga sounds good, beaches are our top priority, camping too! My teenage daughter will want to be near the city I guess the public transport is better in Aus than here?

Guest WhatNow?

As someone who left work at 3pm on Tuesday, popped home to get changed, drove to the beach (Semaphore) then walked along it for 40 mins (to Largs) and back, then sat at the pub with a beer and a meal looking out over the dunes to the sea, I think I can verify that there are indeed beaches in the 'West' and 'North' of the city - and I haven't even mentioned Glenelg, West Beach, Henley, Grange and further north, Largs Bay and North Haven/Outer Harbour. You don't have to live in these expensive and sophisticated beachside suburbs to enjoy them. All have miles of sand, a posh Marina or two and several jetties from which you can fish and are about 30 mins from the city. They are also quite civilised with a pretty good cafe society, but you will find them mostly populated by Australians rather than expats...LOL! And all within 30 mins of the city.

Really - I'm only teasing! You will find the north/south rivalry an amusing side show. The whole coast west of Adelaide is one long beach interrupted by a few industrial developments (e.g. the desal plant, which just happens to be in the 'south'). True, property has historically been cheaper the further you get from the city, but then the cab fares are astronomical if you want a night out at the theatre...

Guest kangomik
Kangomik,

Well not that fast paced, but just less biased toward the senior population! I hate Blackpool and wouldn't want anything like it in Aus, you seem to know the Fylde coast well!? How come?

I can quote all the way around to southport if you like, rabi heaven LOL.

I came from a small town called preston, well just south of it.

Adelaide is fantastic, it's not the best city in australia for many people, but for others it's perfect.

Glenelg is like blackpool for me, but on a 1/1000th scale, the main street is probably the same as Lythams, but its a haven for kids.

The rest from North Haven or Largs North down to Sellicks and Aldinga beach all have their own benefits, some of them have stunning beaches, and nothing beats walking down the beach when the dolphins come to play, or for those from Noaralunga down having the whales come in so close to shore this Autumn and winter.

`After that its exploration from the wine regions to the hills and beyond into the riverlands or the flinders ranges and down the coorong to the Great Ocean Road.

It's huge, it's massive and there is so much to do...................IF you are prepared to do it.

NEVER get hung up on a north south debate, it's more an east, west, beach versus hills and then it's really only personal preference. We all love where we choose to live

I don't know what background you have, PM me if you want discuss further, but at the end of the day it's not a bad place to live.

I do feel sorry for anyone arriving in the last 6 months and wondering where the sun has gone!