New to Adelaide

Guest MicknBeck

Guest MicknBeck

Hi All,

My wife and I moved a couple of months ago to Adelaide, Beck's from Manchester and I'm from North Queensland. We moved for my work, now living in Victor Harbor and working in Glenelg.

Cheers,

Mick

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Mizzmp

We are in the UK and in the process of applying for state sponsorship. Hubbys a bricklayer which is in demand so fingers crossed.

Any advice on areas would be great. We have sons aged 6 13 and 15 to keep occupied and we would ideally like to be in bus distance of a TAFE for our eldest.

We like the look of Sellicks Beach but have been told there are a lot of flies. Anybody know if thats true?

Thanks

We are in the UK and in the process of applying for state sponsorship. Hubbys a bricklayer which is in demand so fingers crossed.

Any advice on areas would be great. We have sons aged 6 13 and 15 to keep occupied and we would ideally like to be in bus distance of a TAFE for our eldest.

We like the look of Sellicks Beach but have been told there are a lot of flies. Anybody know if thats true?

Thanks

Hi good luck with your application,

we live in Willunga which is about 10mins from sellicks. The flies are not that bad, depends on the weather and time of year. Everywhere has the flies not just sellicks, they fade away after while and you get used to them.

Sellicks is nice but a bit isolated, the bus service is not very often after 9am, like here, you will need a car.

If you want the nearest Tafe this would be noarlunga which is a good one, i attend there as a mature student. Your eldest would be at school till they were 18, and can learn to drive when they are 16yrs.

MacClaren vale, Aldinga, willunga all have good primary schools. Willunga has the high school (public) which our neighbours go to and fine it good.

We also have friends who's children attend the private school Tatachilla in MacClaren vale, which is also good.

There are plenty of sport clubs for the kids to attend or life saving, if they wish to join in.

Willunga is a nice village feel with a few shops and 3 pubs. I get my main shop at coles either in Aldinga or McClaren vale.

The train link is coming closer this next year, stopping at seaford. So hopefully the services will be better with it.

Seaford is a bigger suburb with more facilities only approx 15/20mins from here.

Hope this info helps a little.

Have a look on nearmap.com it will give you an idea of the areas.

regards Tina

Thanks

Sellicks is nice but quite far out over an hour by car to city There are flies everywhere here. Not all tafe does all courses my son has to travel by car to tafe over 50 mins as only one does bricklaying.

Guest Mizzmp

Thanks. Our eldest will probably do plumbing or carpentary as my hubbies a bricklayer and hes shown no interest in that. Looking at the map Sellicks does seem far out. We are also looking at Modbury area up north which seems closer to human life.

Guest Drumms

We are staying at Noralonga at the moment on a short term accommodation (been here just over a week). Could quite happily remain here, but we have family in Semaphore so have a rental sorted there. Big shopping centre here, beaches (which we sat on yesterday) are gorgeous. We watched the surfers yesterday morning. Its really lovely here. I'm sure I spotted TAFE here? Good luck!

It's very hard to imagine how far every area is as it is so spread out. It doesn't look far on the maps but it is, but the driving is easy here.

Modbury is about 20mins from the city, it is more suburbia. We lived in Highbury for 2.5 years whilst my daughter went to Norwood Morialta high, in Norwood, very good school. My daughter still lives in Redwood park not far from there.

We liked Highbury but for us the country feel was a draw, and closer to the beach.

You can still drive to the sea west beach is where we went to about 45 mins from Highbury.

If you look on the Tafe website for the courses he may want, it will be easier to plan ahead.

Good luck with your search

regards Tina

Thanks. Our eldest will probably do plumbing or carpentary as my hubbies a bricklayer and hes shown no interest in that. Looking at the map Sellicks does seem far out. We are also looking at Modbury area up north which seems closer to human life.

we moved over here 18 months ago with teenagers....... settled in the Modbury area and the kids have freedom via good transport links and they can all travel into the city with ease! We love lots of places in Adelaide but the North East is great for everything ........ and if you desire a beach day then its a 25 minute drive away!