Coming to Adelaide Jan 2011!

paulm

Hi

I am looking on coming to adelaide in Mid january from the uk, I have a job sorted etc, but I am currently looking where to live, I am 24 single and want to meet new people of similar age range, I have been looking at the city for flat shares etc but also heard the hills and the beach locations are also good, any advice atall would be appreciated as its a quick move and i am going to be hitting the ground running!

Also I was wondering what the average wage was out in adelaide as I still need to negociate a salary with my employer.

Thanks

Guest guest3462

Hi Paul, i'm afraid to say that i'm unsure where NME gets his/her figures from, I would hazard a guess at average salaries being in the $40,000's mark; please do not embarass yourself with your new employer by demanding this kind of salary if the job entailed doesn't warrant it. Of course I don't know you or your profession so don't want to judge but there is a thread on cost of living running at the moment which you might find helpful. Also i'm sure I read a post yesterday about a young chap who has moved to Adelaide to the city from QLD and is looking for a flatmate in his new house? I would agree with NME though that single people who desire more of an active pub/club/social life would definately be more suited to areas like Glenelg, CBD and Norwood, but these areas are also considerably more expensive to secure accomodation.

Hope you find something soon and have a lovely last (white) xmas in the UK.

Julia.

Hi Julia

I am qualified Surveyor so pay is pretty good was more worried about surving on what they have offered as the money in my game has bottomed out over here and one of the main reason on moving is more opportunity and higher wage but from what i have researched and your comments i am sure i will be getting a good deal.

I am looking to keep my active lifestyle and going out on weekends etc so I will look into them areas. just looking at houseshares at present. I will try find the guy who is looking for a flatmate thanks for that.

How are you finding it over there, yourself?

Yes it is still snowing here and very cold i will not miss this weather!

Paul

Guest Jo&Phil

I've just posted similar info on another thread but it might help with your salary enquiry as the average wage according to the ABS is unfortunately not $60K. Your occupation will probably come under a work place award or agreeement and WorkCover has information on that .....

There are a few websites which quote salaries which might be useful to guage level of income you can expect in your occupation, eg:

Industrial Relations for award rates in SA

PayScale Australia - South Australia State Salary, Average Salaries

The Australian Bureau of Statistics says the average weekly wage in Oz is around $1250 (I'm guessing this is before tax) but remember, that takes in all the High Court Judges amongst us!

6302.0 - Average Weekly Earnings, Australia, Aug 2010

paulm, what visa are you coming out on? If it's an employer sponsored one, you'd have to be paid at least the going rate for locals, it's a condition of the visa...

In terms of where to live, I would agree with the others, somewhere near to Glenelg or the city is going to be your best bet, at least to start off with.

Guest guest3462

Hi Paul, we love it here, we've been Here for 2 years and couldn't be happier. We comfortably survive on one wage at the moment and we have 2 almost3 small children. Our social life and active outdoors lifestyle has never been healthier despite the slow start to the summer this year. I'm definately in the loving it club especially since we have just returned from the uk this week from our very cold and snowy holidays!

Guest Mitchell

Definitely agree that North Adelaide or glenelg would be a good bet depending on where you're working. I foolishly got a place right on the edge of the northern suburbs and as I'm single and want a night life I'm really regretting it. I'd google comparable jobs to get an idea for pay. I work in IT and got a big pay rise coming over here so you might be lucky too. If your still looking for a share after Xmas let me know as I'll be breaking my lease and moving to north Adelaide as soon as I get back from WA.

• 2 weeks later...
Definitely agree that North Adelaide or glenelg would be a good bet depending on where you're working. I foolishly got a place right on the edge of the northern suburbs and as I'm single and want a night life I'm really regretting it. I'd google comparable jobs to get an idea for pay. I work in IT and got a big pay rise coming over here so you might be lucky too. If your still looking for a share after Xmas let me know as I'll be breaking my lease and moving to north Adelaide as soon as I get back from WA.

hey mitchell cheers for the advice yeah, let me know if your looking for somewhere in the new year, I accomo off my employer for a bit but i think its gonna be a quiet area, so i will probaly be looking at Glenelg and the city, either way be good to meet up with people once I am there if you fancy a few beers, drop me a PM!