state sponsorship

sharons dream

Hello everyone,

my name is sharon and im new to this site, my husband and I are waiting to hear if we have been excepted for state sponsorship, but just want to get on with it all now so we can join you all in south austrailia. any information or help anyone can offer us, will all be gratefully recieved.

my husband is a plumber and i am a teaching assistant we have two children lauren (8) and harvey(3) we live in loughborough, leicestershire and would like to meet other couples in the same situation as us to share experiences and advice with.

also would like to chat with couples already in austrailia to make friends with and gather advice from their experiences.

thanks everyone

Sharon xx

Hi Sharon, welcome to PIA. This site is full of wonderful people who will be able to advice and help you along the way. I have had many many questions answered, which means alot when you resemble a headless chicken :biglaugh:

When did you apply for sponsorship? We too are eagerly awaiting news from ours so we can get our visa application in (doubt it will be this side of xmas). Good luck with your application.

Bev x

Guest stonefox

I submitted SA SS on 4th November 2010 and got approval on 24th - just 20 days. Timescales will obviously vary depending upon current levels of applicants, but I would have thought with the Christams break you will be looking at early January

Good luck with everything

Guest jasoncaroline

Hello Sharon

My name is Jason and I am also a plumber/gasfitter, me and my family live in Nottingham. Just wondered why you picked Adelaide, we are in two minds Adelaide or Perth. Was it to do with job opportunities in the plumbing trade because this is my dilemma which city to choose for the best job options. We recently visited Perth and really liked it, but also like the sound of Adelaide but don't know what to do!!

Guest johnny.w

Hello. We applied 22nd oct and have not heard anything yet. We are using agency (Get Going). It is very frustrating as you hear of other people who have had a reply after 3/4 weeks.

i am john (electrician) glaswegian but now live in london with sharon(chef) , Evelyn 6 and Davie 4.

We originally wanted to go to Queensland as that is where my friend lives. went there in aug and loved it but sparks not on there list so decided on south aus.

Best christmas present would be state spons but i think it will be next year if at all.

Guest Nomoreengland

You will get work as a plumber easily in both Adelaide or Perth. If your moving over to Australia partly to get a better climate pcik Perth defo over Adelaide. Perth is sunny nearly all year round and has been in the 30's since September. Its December in Adelaide and stillr ains most days and struggles to hit the 20's.

Hello Sharon

My name is Jason and I am also a plumber/gasfitter, me and my family live in Nottingham. Just wondered why you picked Adelaide, we are in two minds Adelaide or Perth. Was it to do with job opportunities in the plumbing trade because this is my dilemma which city to choose for the best job options. We recently visited Perth and really liked it, but also like the sound of Adelaide but don't know what to do!!

We couldnt decide between perth or adelaide either and then south austrailia decided to except state sponsorship applications again and we said that was fate and applied for adelaide, i had researched both cities and liked them both, but now i have choosen i wouldnt change im happy and cant wait to get to adelaide, good luck x

I think the one thing that struck me with Perth was that it was so far from anywhere else in Aus. It really is remote. Yes there are towns along the coast, but there are no other major cities or even really large towns that I could see as appealing. Its a trek to anywhere else. Adelaide has the benefit of being more central and not so far for flights to Melbourne and Sydney etc. Adelaide and the surrounding area felt more populated along the coast, more connnected for that reason.

I think the climate thing is becoming a bone of contention amongst some here :P TBH Adelaide usually has a great summer climate but this year has been a bit off. Also spring and autumn have been pretty good there when I've been there. Its not like its an awful climate and like the UK summers or winters usually. Lets be honest, the UK hasn't really gotten over 25C for more than a few days at a time in the past few years. My hubby, an Aussie from Adelaide says that UK summers are like Adelaide springs and he can live with that. He isn't looking forward to moving back and facing the 40C plus temps that can be reached. The heat is the one thing he hasn't missed living here in the UK :biglaugh:

Excited is not the word!! I checked the online tracker this morning and my application has been assessed, but no decision has been made yet. Fingers crossed it gets approved before Christmas! Would be a very nice present if it did :D

On the plus side i'm on nights so i will be constantly checking the tracker during tonights shift!! It may make these 7 night shifts a bit more bearable! Hope everyone else has some good news soon.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest bmehuys

Both Cities are beautiful, I live in Adelaide and work in Perth every 6 weeks. They are very different culturally as Perth is a very isolated state (closer to Asia than to any other Australian city) Perth is a very new city and thus very few older buildings where as Adelaide is a much older city and the architecture is quite beautiful. I know this sounds a small thing but I do find that I feel more at home in Adelaide. Both cities have a great climate with a dry heat mainly. Perth can be hotter for longer and the winters seem a little milder than in Adelaide, but on the whole I think both cities enjoy fabulous weather. People from both states are very friendly and welcoming so I think whichever city you choose you would enjoy unless you wish to travel to other states in which case Perth is a long plane ride.