hello everyone

Guest Sue & Ash

Guest Sue & Ash

hello everyone!

3 days ago we have decided to make the big move to adelaide too :D

so here we are!

we = Sue, Ashley, Lucas (2.5yrs) and Caitlin (1yr)

our best friends moved there 3 yrs ago and that's why we've checked out adelaide first - and all we've read about it so far sounds great!

i love the fact that the city is not too big and that you (supposingly?) can get everywhere in a reasonable time.

and also that there is just about everything on your 'doorstep' (hills, sea, city...)

sooooooooooooooooo

as you all can imagine we'll bombard you with questions :lol:

but i've been spying on you for the last 3 days (i've spent every free minute on the net :oops: ) - and you seem to be a great bunch of people!

so now, where to start ,.... :roll:

Guest dglamoore

Hi Sue and family

Welcome to the site and the mad world of migrating :lol: Lots of friendly helpful people on here - though not too sure if we are all sane :lol:

Any questions just shout and if anyone can help they will :D

Lisa

Guest Sue & Ash

hi lisa!

thanks for the prompt 'welcome' and offer to help [shoving our application form in lisas direction 'coughcoughnudgenudge'] :D

we are still debating: going with an agent or flying solo :?:

we will be applying for a skilled independent visa 136 ( :roll: i think :roll: ) - that sounds rather straight forward IF there is even such a thing ...

any experiences?

thanks

Sue

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Sue and Family

Welcome to the site, i'm a newbie too and vowed i wouldn't resort to poms sites as the Aussies call them (don't shoot me down in flames), but having had the ups and downs of the visa process on our own since Oct 2005 felt that we had better have a look at what we were missing.

We did a reccie last October and the 20 minute city as it was once called is much bigger than we expected with all the different districts and can take quite a while to get from one side to the other, saying that though we much prefered the traffic jams over there as there seemed to be no angst and no road rage !!!

When are u hoping to go

Jane

Hi Sue & Ash

Welcome to the site.....you're right, its a friendly site and I find everyone on here really helpful......Lisa (our moderator and god) is really fab and knows most things...if not, she'll be able to point you in the right direction.

There are other sites, but I feel alot more at ease posting on here....its smaller and friendlier, not too clicky either.

Good luck with your application, we have applied for a SIR495 visa and used an agent (ASA consultants) They have been great and have found no fault so far (even better once we get our visa).

Speak soon

sarahx

Hi Sue and Ash

We're quite new to the site too but agree with above - everyone is really friendly and helpful on this site :) We are applying for an SIR and have recently sent of for skills assessment - so fingers crossed. Have become totally addicted to this site and will struggle when I go back to work (teacher) on Monday

Cari

Guest Sue & Ash

morning! (i know it's early 8) but kids always have me up at 6am :roll: )

thanks Jane, Sarah and Cari!

that's what i am talking about - a nice site :D

do you guys actually meet up over there once moved?

anyways, Jane as to when we'd like to go?

well, whenever we'll get a visa! it's still very early stages and we haven't even filed anything or actully filled in a form yet :shock:

but i am certain you'll know about our progress :mrgreen:

Sarah how far into are you now???

Cari same question at ya :wink:

Do you all know which area you'd like to move to?

Have you got children?

ttfn

Susi

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi sue

Like you i have three children Aidan 8 Callum 5 and Abbie 2 (going on 16).

We are applying for a 136 visa through and agent. Thiought this was an easier route as both me and the OH are self employed.

After a few problems with our daughters medical history we are hopefully now on the home straight.

We're hoping to be out by end of April, i'm on the final reccie flying from London on 18th April to sort out schools, somewhere to sleep and hopefully a job, we already have our eye on our land which we are buying off a freind. We have decided to head south of Adelaide down near Maslin

Speak soon

Guest jen&ian

Hi Sue, Ash & family,

I'm Jen. We are going out on a 136 visa too (thats me, my husband Ian and kids Jay 5, Sam 2 & Noah 6 months). We have done it without an Agent and found it fairly straightfoward, but I think it depends on how complicated your personal or employment history has been. Most agents will give you a free initial consultation which may help you decide what to do.

We are just waiting to hear back from our medicals now (done nearly a month ago, not that I'm counting :wink: )

Anyway good luck and if you decide to DIY don't hesitate to ask us anything you like :) .

Jen

Hi Sue & Ash

We are at the very late stage - everything done, medicals and pcs, we have a case officer and now just waiting to hear the good news..........we estimate march time we should hear.

We sold our house last year and moved into renting, we've also booked our one way flights to adelaide on 15th august, staying in singapore for 4 nights before arriving on 21st august.

Theres a west midlands meet up on the 21st april and yes, I plan to meet up with as many people from the site as poss - once on the other site and if they'll have us!!

I remember being at the stage you are at right now, and as soon as you've made that decision to go - its in your head all the time - Ive lived and breathed adelaide since last may (when we first decided to go). The visa process for us has been full of ups and down.......the worse thing is the waiting......make sure you have all your passports and certificates to hand, we didnt and spent ages sending off for replacements etc and it really slowed the process down ( we had lost our birth certificates, degree certificates and passports ! we're not the most organised family!)

Good luck with your next stage

sarahx

Guest graandjac

Hi Sue & Fam! We're also new to the site (Gra 36, Jac, 34. Holly 9 and Owen 8). We have met with an agent and have started the ball rolling with a 136 visa too (hub's self-employed and is on the most wanted list.) We went with an agent as we heard there was a lot of organising and paper work :shock:. We are with 4 Corners and there are fab. As they said - we supply the ingredients and they bake the cake - nice!

Good luck with whatever you decide :wink:

And yes this forum is very very friendly.........Lisa! and it's nice to know there are other people out there who are thinking and living exactly like you!

The Joyces x

Guest Sue & Ash

Jane i can understand that you are rather busy with 3 kids and being self employed. i have to check out where Maslin is. good on you to have friends over there already!!

JEN i too think i'll do it ourselves. at least i'll try to fill in the forms and if i really get stuck i still can ask for help = and there is always you guys!!

fingers crossed that it'll go quickly for you!

Sarah wow, almost there! then the fun part begins!! house sold yet? decided what to ship? new house sorted?

and i so agree: since our decision everything is adelaide!! agreed it has only been 4 das for us :)

what area will you be going to?

joyce family you are absolutly right. what a great forum!! - i hope the cake bakes nicely for you 'wink'

well, nothing much happened since yesterday. i did lots of reading and putting timelines and application details together.

i'll print off lots of forms soon and then sit down with ash to get him through this skills assessment.

how long did it take others to actually get everything together????

susi

Guest donna T

Hi all and welcome to the site - I agree that this is a very friendly and helpfull group - there was only a very few people posting up until a month or so ago and now it is positivly buzzing :D:D

We are under 2 weeks away from our flights and our new life and are seriously scared :D

Good luck to everyone just starting out.

With regards to meet ups - I would love the opportunity to meet up with everyone maybe a big BBQ at the first ones to get settled :D:D

Hi Sue and Ash

We have recently sent off skills assessment of my teaching skills (fingers crossed - I am absolutely terrified they will say no) So we are also in the early stages. We are also going to the midlands meet up - can't wait Sarah - will be good to get the kids together and talk to other Aus minded people. Hopefully will have some new friends when and if we get there :D We will all need a much bigger barbie than here don't you think? We are not using a migration agent - so will probably ask loads of questions on here. Our eldest son is doing GCSE's and is our main concern as it looks like we will have to fund his uni education if we can persuade him to come. Younger kids will be OK and are really excited at the prospect.

Sarah - you can't be more disorganised than me - I promised my mate I'd pick the kids up from brownies and forgot and went to the pub :oops: Not very popular with Brown Owl at the moment

Cari :lol: x

Guest graandjac

Donna - good luck hun! You are positively scared - we are positively jealous!! As someone said to me on this forum - remember why you started this process in the first place, you'll be brill and it's for the best - for all of you. Just keep us updated :wink:

Gra, Jac, Holly 9 & Owen 8 x

Guest Sue & Ash

Donna wow!! 2 weeks! you must be so excited and horrified :wink:

allrighty! keep a place warm for us we'll be there .. in about a year :roll:

Cari how old are your kids? - ouch at the not picking up (did grin though :lol: )

i also had a sneak look at your midlands meetup .. it's not THAT far from us really. might have to convience other half :wink:

Susi

Cari !!! You're a teacher, how could you forgot somebodys little darlings from brownies!?

Donna - dont forget about us when you get there - as soon as you get sorted and connected - we wanna know all about it. Cant remember from other posts - but have you got your OAA? if so, which one are you staying at and what suburb did you put down on your form?

speak soon

sarahxx

Loads of kids, eldest is 20, then 16, then 9, then 7 - have worked out what causes it now and fixed it - OH had the snip for Xmas! :twisted: :lol:

Cari x

PS that's why I'm sooo forgetful. Am a very responsible teacher though - really :)

Guest Sue & Ash

morning!

Cori mine are still so young they get me up at a time in the morning you don't really want to know :roll:

can't wait for the times when i actually have to go and WAKE them UP!

but with 4 i can understand your 'forgetfullness' :wink:

and what a nice xmas present :lol:

Sarah silly question coming up! what's an OAA?? :?

Susi

Guest Guest75
morning!

Cori mine are still so young they get me up at a time in the morning you don't really want to know :roll:

can't wait for the times when i actually have to go and WAKE them UP!

but with 4 i can understand your 'forgetfullness' :wink:

and what a nice xmas present :lol:

Sarah silly question coming up! what's an OAA?? :?

Susi

Hi Susi.

Welcome to Poms in Oz.

OAA

Stands for On Arrival Accomodation.