how much does it cost for a dog fare to adelaide ?

Guest manxstones

Guest manxstones

Hi, we're emigrating in the next twelve months, just waiting for our visa to come through! and taking our 9 year old black lab Boycie with us. Have all the quarantine info and costs but it doesn't give the cost of the flight out to oz ! anyone know how muchish? for the flight. We have been recomended Golden Arrow shippers, have spoken to them for info and seem nice. Has anyone used them ?

Manxstones :cute:

I suggest emailing various companies for quotes. Its not so much the weight of your dog but the size of the crate. They have to have a certain amount of room, be able to stand, turn round and so on in it. And wooden also. Once in the crate they are not let out till at the other end to ensure no risk of escape, injury or infection.

I know we've been quoted £2,000-3,000 or so for airfare shipping and then $800 for the 30 days quarantine in Melbourne. Then there will be transporting back to Adelaide from Melbourne so factor that in in some shape or form.

I am told that usually the owners are given the crate before hand to enable the dog to get used to being in it before flying (we'll have ours in the house a few weeks before we fly so ours can get used to sleeping in it etc). Then you've got to get dog vaccinated etc, vet sign off on health and other things. A pet transport company will explain it all.

We'll either go with Whitehouse kennels (crummy old website but great people and company)

Whitehouse Kennels and Cattery, Lympsham Somerset.

or

PetAir UK

Pet Air UK | A bespoke pet travel service owned and run by vets

I've found both places to be very helpful. PetAir UK also explained the process and about what happens to the dog inflight (ie kept in a special heated area, 18C maintained during the flight and also checked on during the flight, watered etc.)

Here is the blurb from them also

At PetAir UK we provide a high quality professional service, ensuring ultimate peace of mind through every step of the process.

Should you decide to use us you will be allocated a veterinary consultant who will oversee every aspect of the journey and be available for you to contact any time prior to the flight should you have any concerns. Upon confirmation of a booking your consultant will contact you to introduce themselves and explain the process.

We offer two levels of service, Silver and Gold. The difference between the two is that with the all-inclusive Gold service we make home visits to complete all the necessary pre-travel veterinary tests and paperwork, while with the Silver service we liaise with your own vet to ensure this is completed satisfactorily. The only aspect that I am unable to quote for are the quarantine fees in Australia as these need to paid locally when you pick Eric and Floyd up after the 30 days. I have some attached some information for you about Melbourne quarantine.

Breakdown of services, Gold and Silver both include:

· Airline ticket for Eric and Floyd with BA/Qantas from Heathrow

· Airline surcharges (Handling / Security / War Insurance / Fuel / Airway Bill / Transit Fees)

· Booking of quarantine space (30 days required) with Australian authorities (NB quarantine fees not included as payable in Australia)

· Custom made PetAir UK, IATA approved, wooden travel containers with comfortable bedding and watering facility (please see notes below about the crates)

· Meet at Heathrow airport visit on day of departure, completion of Part B of DEFRA paperwork

· Official sealing of the travel container at the airport

· Assisted check-in to make sure Eric and Floyd are comfortably and safely away

The all-inclusive Gold service also includes:

· Application for DEFRA export health certificates

· Application for import licenses from Australian authorities

Required veterinary tests carried out in the comfort of your own home (we come and visit Eric and Floyd to take the blood samples)

· Required Tick and Tapeworm treatments

· Completion of Part A of the DEFRA paperwork including pre travel veterinary health examination

· Check-in to make sure Eric and Floyd are comfortably and safely away

We can provide the above services for a total cost of SILVER £2,030.04 & GOLD £3,230.06 – subject to postcode (VAT not applicable as destination is outside EU).

This is based on two estimated crates 81x46x51cm or a double crate depending on final confirmation of measurements and weights. We also spray our crates with a pheromone called DAP (suckling bitches naturally release this pheromone to reassure their puppies) which should help Eric and Floyd feel it is a safe and secure environment. Check in for pets is four hours before departure and once sealed they have to remain in the crates but don’t worry, they are very well looked after. To put your mind at rest, we have never had a problem with any of the pets we have flown during flights to Australia.

Dogs travelling to Australia will need a vaccination against Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvovirus and Parainfluenza within 12 months of the flight. If you get the routine vaccinations done, then please do not include the Leptospira part as this will make the sample come back positive. They too will need treatments and checks within 4 days of the flight and will also need blood samples taken within 30 days of the flight. These checks and blood samples will be done by us if you choose the Gold service and by your own vets if you choose the silver service. Dogs travelling to Australia have to serve 30 days quarantine in Australia on landing in either Sydney, Melbourne or Perth.

Please note that dogs travelling to Australia must be up to date on their yearly vaccinations and must have a kennel cough vaccination at least 14 days prior to travel and not more than 12 months. Pets will also need to be micro chipped.

We also offer a home collection and airport delivery service. This would be based on pick up from your postcode. We will of course meet you at the airport (Heathrow) if you do not require this service.

Please feel free to contact me directly with any queries or concerns and I’d be happy to talk through the process with you. If you would like to go ahead with this quote, please let me know and I will arrange for our team to send you a client pack.

Kind Regards

Of course, prices quoted are for our dogs, so ignore those. But the rest will give you a good idea of what you can expect.

BA and other airlines have blurb. Basically as I understand it they won't accept a dog to fly unless you go via a proper company and ship them

BA World Cargo - Products and Services - Products

Hope this is all of some use :)

FWIW I'd expect somewhere in the region of £3,000 for your dog flight wise. This could be a few hundred either way although I'm only basing this on the prices we've been quoted for 1 & 2 whippets. A lab will need a fairly big crate of taller dimensions so of course will cost out differently.

The quote was for later next year but we are not going then. Our current plan is to ship back out when our son is ready to start school in Aus. So 2013 is the goal. However, we may go sooner depending on hubby and his job. If he is ready to head home we shall simply pack up and head over, so might be in a year or so! We are lucky in that we don't have to wait on visa applications, just my spouse visa (hubby is an Aussie).

Guest manxstones

We're hoping to get out there oct 2011, have a few months holiday,settling everyone in so that our girls can start school in the autumn term. Our black lab Boycie is 9 and is our first baby so is coming whatever the cost, i'd sell my soul to the devil to pay for his fare, lol.The visa app is a rollercoaster of emotions so you're lucky not to have to go through all of that malarky ! whereabouts in Adelaide will you be heading ? we're heading for seaford area as i have friend there who also emigrated from the isle of man.

Autumn term you mean the new school year in February? Summer hols are over the Christmas period and new school year begins early Feb iirc. Should tie in well for you starting your girls at the start of the academic year.

We hope to be around Glenelg but realise its pricey. So may well end up somewhere not too far in an adjoining neighbourhood. However we also have some family options available to us (house or apartment long term but still weighing those up due to locations, schools etc).

And good on you for taking your dog. I'm with you on the not leaving them behind bit but can understand not everyone is able to take their beloved pets when making the move.

Hi we went with White House Kennels - they were FAB!

I was really worried about getting the paperwork wrong / vets bits wrong etc but they did everything for me, explained it well and all I had to do was go to my vet! :)

The chap who picked Keira up was great and she just jumped straight in the crate - and she is really shy!

They even sorted out a contact (they got 3 quotes for me!!) to get her from Melbourne to Adelaide :)

UK - Mel = £2250, Import permit £187, Jetpets $390 (Mel - ADE), Plus Quarantine & Insurance!

Paid more for her than the 4 of us to get here!!! But, well worth it! She's part of the family, my baby, and LOVES the beach!!!

Good luck and best wishes for 2011!

Von

Guest Springers

We arrived in Adelaide in March 2010. We had several quotes and decided on Golden Arrow Shippers who came highly recommended to us by our removal firm.

The quotes we had were similar.

Golden Arrow were fab and I would recommend them. They looked after our springer spaniel for about a week before she flew out - so she avoided the chaos just before we left.

The kennels were very clean, lots of areas for a good run and a gorgeous location. They made her a wooden crate to fly in which was specifically for her size and weight. She still uses the crate to sleep in. They sorted out all of the paperwork for her travelling, booked her flights and gave us updates which was great.

I think her flight and accomodation for a week cost around 2,100 pounds. I picked her up and flew her from Melbourne to Adelaide after her quarantine. Overall, yes it was very expensive with vet fees, flights and quarantine. I havn't worked out exactly what she cost to bring over, but she is worth it and she loves it here, especially the dog park and the beach.

I was advised in UK to sort out a pet passport immediately we arrived in Australia just in case we ever decide to go back to the UK. I'm not sure and havnt discussed this with the vet, but they have to have rabies injections and bloods which take some time, but there is no quarantine once in the UK.

Good luck

Guest manxstones

Hi thanks for the info, Boycie is our baby too and don't care how it costs he's coming too.

Happy New Year to you and your family, hoping to be out there this time next year, not far from you as have a friend in seaford so heading in that direction.

Helen.

Guest manxstones

yes, its hard getting your head round the fact the autumn term is in feb and not sept but i guess once your out there its easier as you just go with the flow !

Glenelg looks a lovely area, especially the beach, but pricey, that's why we're heading seaford way and because my friend lives there.

Happy New Year to you and your family, hopefully we'll be out there this time next year ,fingers and everything crossed !!!