New to PIA - living in Central Queensland...

Guest nowells

Guest nowells

...with a possibility of moving to Adelaide!

Hi Guys,

Background...OH, myself and our little man (22 months) moved to CQ at the end of July and have since found that this area isn't really for us for a number of reasons. We are here on a 457 Visa but came with the intention of applying for PR if we settled in Australia. Truthfully, before we moved here, we weren't sure that CQ was for us but thought as my OH had been offered a sponsored position it was too good an offer to refuse, rather than waiting for a PR Visa from the UK.

Unfortunately since our arrival, we've had some bad luck with a few things which has really knocked me, especially, and are not enjoying the lifestyle here, along with many other things but before we give up hope on Aus, we feel that maybe we should give another area a try.

(Just to add, OH is pretty adament he doesn't want to move back to the UK but I am so very homesick and have been from Day 1 so this is causing some tension :arghh:)

Anyway, after doing a lot of reading/research/speaking to people we both seem to keep getting drawn back to Adelaide (at least we agree on that! :biglaugh:) so we'd like to know all about Adelaide and what it has to offer!

(Oh and Happy New Year to you all!)

Well, not living there atm but having spent a fair few chunks of time there with my hubby I can tell you what I like about it and how I find it (speaking from the perspective of a Mummy, wife and 40 year old woman).

I really like the city has an good mix of old and new. Its not huge, its a smaller quieter city than Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth. That doesn't appeal to everyone but tbh not everyone wants to live in the equivalent of London, Manchester or Birmingham do they? I have lived in London and also smaller cities like Exeter and Bristol and have always liked living in the smaller ones over the more crowded expensive capital.

It has some great suburbs, beach and non beach ones. And within those there are good schools and bad. Its all about researching what suits your needs best with a view to commute, education for children and home having their say. I know we've done research into schools already and will try to settle in an area with a good primary level school and then look to moving or private when child is older if no suitable senior school is available.

I like that the city is smaller, I've said that. I've walked round the central part many times and its certainly not overwhelming to navigate or get a feel for. It has a great Central market, uncover that I always enjoy. And some great beaches and parks. Also the Adelaide Hills are not far to drive so a good hill walk or camping weekend is very doable.

I like the climate although I do find the dry heat a bit much but guess you adjust. And winters can be chilly (but not freezing like the UK). All in all I like the climate Adelaide has and love the spring and autumn seasons the most. Yes its been unseasonal weather there in the past year but then other parts of Australia have experience the same (thinking recent storms and floods for example). Overall though, Adelaide is generally hot in summer and cold

For the most part as a parent I like that the city doesn't swamp me. That I can travel around and not have it eat into my day to go visit family or friends. When my husband was growing up there he did various sports and activities (everything from Aussie rules to Duke of Edinburgh awards) and loved growing up there. Some people say that for teenagers it doesn't offer much and is boring but tbh I don't see that problem. I think often teenagers can be contrary and always find the place they live in boring and can't wait to leave. I think back to my teenage years and myself and many of my friends used to complain about our home town, towns near it and the nearby city but we always had stuff to do and were not often actually bored. I think people make their own interests and keep themselves busy so you get out as much as you put in in that respect. I know I have no concerns for my son growing up in Adelaide once we move back (he'll be 5 when we move).

I enjoy the beachside suburb of Glenelg (although I also have family living there) and love the beach there. Keeps my son amused for ages and we often headed to the beach with him and he loved paddling in the shallows when the tide was right. The water is lovely around Adelaide and warmer than you might expect as its in the Gulf, not the actual ocean. I like the terrace there, the nightlife and some of the restaurants. Marion shopping centre was an easy drive for us and things like the mulitplex and so on were all there.

From a family POV we all feel that moving back there sooner rather than later is the best thing. Hubby isn't homesick as such but since our trip back this past Easter he realises he really wants to move back there and for us to bring up our children there. And I do also. It is a family friendly city but like anywhere new it can be daunting and hard to meet people and make new friends. But I think with a young child, playgroups, nursery and other things you can soon meet other Mums. And from what I gather on here there are meets ups and so on so hopefully you'd be able to meet some people from here from time to time.

I know Adelaide isn't everyones ideal. But then really no place is perfect. But if its right for you, you'll know. I'd suggest having a holiday out there, even if its only a week to see the city, get a feel for it. Check out the suburbs that interested you, visit the beaches and Glenelg, the city itself, the Botanical gardens are well worth a wander round, as is the Adelaide museum and a few other places.

(Just to add, OH is pretty adament he doesn't want to move back to the UK but I am so very homesick and have been from Day 1 so this is causing some tension :arghh:)

I think your homesickness may also be worse because you are not settled and liking/happy where you are currently living. If you don't like somewhere for whatever reason it can be hard to let go and really move both feet over and embrace your new life. Moving to another area can help solve that but it won't be a total fix nor will it heal every issue you have. Only time and effort from both you and your hubby can really do that. I personally think it can take anything up to a couple of years to adjust and settle into a new country and home (having lived in various places overseas I do understand how hard it can be in a new country). You both really have to be on board and talk to each other to make it work. If someone isn't fully committed for whatever reason a move overseas can often lead to heartache and possibly a one way trip to the UK if things become so bad.

Feel free to PM me to chat about the homesickness aspect. I'd be more than happy to chat and share my experiences and see if it can help.

:)

Guest Guest75

Welcome to the forum!

Sorry to hear that things have not gone according to plan.

At least you are willing to keep giving it a go - this emigrating malarky takes some time!!

I've never been to CQ but I imagine it to be very different.

Adelaide will be a heck of a lot drier for a start!

We get cold and wet winters here but nothing like in the UK,you can still be out most days:D

Have a good wander through the posts in the forum and even have a go with the search facility.

You might not be quite as homesick now - you have just made a lot of friends by joining PIA :notworthy::notworthy:

Good luck!!!!!

Guest kfoley0681

i think you are so right in wanting to try a different area. maybe taking a holiday to adelaide to explore the areas would be a good idea as everyone has there own opinions as towhere is good and bad but you need to decide that for yourself. we have lived here for 2 years and have 4 kids there are some lovely places with lots to do and my kids have done so well at the school here but also there are some not so nice areas! we have travelled around australia with the kids and we loved northen queensland and are hoping to move up there in the next year although glad im not there right now! although sa is prone to a 100 year flood thats due now so we best be careful lol. moving the other side of the world is not something you should give up on quick and if you are not happy then try else where i find it strange when pepole come on here and say they dont like australia and its not for them when they have been to 1 place i know australia is not for everyone and its not perfect but where is in the world but Australia is huge and has heaps to offer so well worth trying somewhere else. we have had a terible year and has made my husband home sick at times but hey all that we have been through has made us stronger and we are starting 2011 on a positve note to enjoy our new life!!!! good luck with what ever you decide to do.

Guest nowells

Hi, thanks for the replies! Very helpful and informative.

I think we're pretty set on giving it a go, it's either that or we move back to the UK so why not? At the moment, we have nothing to lose (except money I guess!). Unfortunately we can't afford to do a reccie to the area, well we possibly could but not easily (financially).

Can anyone tell me what it's like to find work in the area in general? My OH is the one sponsored for visa/work and has already been in touch with migration agents/employers so we're hoping for him to find work so we can move to the area. I however, have been a stay at home mum since our little boy was born but am ready to go back to work and feel he is in need of some more company now so will go in Daycare. Any input is much appreciated!

Also, I know this is a matter of opinion, but are there any areas you could recommend to live? We've had a few suggestions from the migration agent OH has been in contact with but would appreciate any other opinions on that! I have seen a few properties on Real Estate that appeal but am none the wiser on the areas.

Thank you ;)

Hi and welcome to the forum.

What sort of line of work is your husband in? Also, do you or your husband have any particular hobbies or interests? That might help narrow down the sort of area you could look at to live in.

I'm sure you'll find lots of help and advice on here - and also, when you get here, shout out where you are living and I'm sure there will be some social events you can get along to and start making friends down this way.

Diane (living in lovely leafy NE Adelaide)

Guest nowells
Hi and welcome to the forum.

What sort of line of work is your husband in? Also, do you or your husband have any particular hobbies or interests? That might help narrow down the sort of area you could look at to live in.

I'm sure you'll find lots of help and advice on here - and also, when you get here, shout out where you are living and I'm sure there will be some social events you can get along to and start making friends down this way.

Diane (living in lovely leafy NE Adelaide)

Hi Diane,

OH is a Mechanic. He is really into fishing (would love a boat!) but I'm not. He likes his sport but isn't obssessed by it in anyway. I love shopping :D and like to be able to walk to things with our little one (rather than having to get him into the car first) which is something we just cannot do here (we're fairly remote IMO). I would LOVE to be able to get on a train to take little one out as he's never been on one (I drive everywhere).

I would like to be somewhere fairly built up in the sense of having lots of things on our doorstep so have been looking at the CBD and Port Adelaide. We were both brought up in small villages in fairly remote places in the UK and find we like to be nearer things now.

Hope this helps a little and thank you! ;)

Both the places you have mentioned are great - although like with any city, the nearer the CBD, the higher the prices. You could also look at places like North Adelaide, Unley, Goodwood, Burnside and Norwood as good places that have stuff within walking distance (Norwood would be my favourite of those - lots going on, a real buzz to the place) or in the north perhaps Mawson Lakes if you don't mind a fairly modern area - with consequently smaller plots (not such a bad thing as it means you don't have to spend loads of time watering gardens), and there are lots of public parks etc as well as a nice little "village centre" area with shops, cafes and restaurants. Semaphore is nice too - nice high street there and beachside.

You could also look around Belair/Blackwood (SE) if you prefer something a bit more rural, but still within easy reach (train or bus) to the city and a nice local shopping centre. Or I like Athelstone (NE) which has a few shops, cafes, and is about 15/20 mins by bus/OBahn to the city.

Workwise, if you are in any of the above areas, I would think your OH would have no trouble finding work along Grand Junction Road - lots of places there, and around Gepps Cross, that employ mechanics - you could send a PM to Kangomik, or he may be along to reply at some stage - I think he works that way. I drive along there to and from work and often see signs up outside places advertising for Mechanics.

GJR runs west to east from about Port Adelaide in the west to Modbury in the East. Somewhere around Modbury would be worth considering for living too - Tea Tree Plaza is a big shopping centre near there, with just about everything you could want, and there is public transport from there into the City via the OBahn (busses that run on roads and rails).

Lots will depend I guess on your budget, but there is a huge choice of places around - and if you base yourself no more than about 30 mins from the CBD, all the public transport tends to head for there (or out of there, obviously!) so you have the restaurants, bars, theatres, shops, sports there within easy reach too.

Best bet is probably to rent somewhere as central as you can, and look around at your leisure for somewhere longer term.

HTH - obviously everyone has their own favourite places, and luckily there's plenty of options.

Guest nowells
Both the places you have mentioned are great - although like with any city, the nearer the CBD, the higher the prices. You could also look at places like North Adelaide, Unley, Goodwood, Burnside and Norwood as good places that have stuff within walking distance (Norwood would be my favourite of those - lots going on, a real buzz to the place) or in the north perhaps Mawson Lakes if you don't mind a fairly modern area - with consequently smaller plots (not such a bad thing as it means you don't have to spend loads of time watering gardens), and there are lots of public parks etc as well as a nice little "village centre" area with shops, cafes and restaurants. Semaphore is nice too - nice high street there and beachside.

You could also look around Belair/Blackwood (SE) if you prefer something a bit more rural, but still within easy reach (train or bus) to the city and a nice local shopping centre. Or I like Athelstone (NE) which has a few shops, cafes, and is about 15/20 mins by bus/OBahn to the city.

Workwise, if you are in any of the above areas, I would think your OH would have no trouble finding work along Grand Junction Road - lots of places there, and around Gepps Cross, that employ mechanics - you could send a PM to Kangomik, or he may be along to reply at some stage - I think he works that way. I drive along there to and from work and often see signs up outside places advertising for Mechanics.

GJR runs west to east from about Port Adelaide in the west to Modbury in the East. Somewhere around Modbury would be worth considering for living too - Tea Tree Plaza is a big shopping centre near there, with just about everything you could want, and there is public transport from there into the City via the OBahn (busses that run on roads and rails).

Lots will depend I guess on your budget, but there is a huge choice of places around - and if you base yourself no more than about 30 mins from the CBD, all the public transport tends to head for there (or out of there, obviously!) so you have the restaurants, bars, theatres, shops, sports there within easy reach too.

Best bet is probably to rent somewhere as central as you can, and look around at your leisure for somewhere longer term.

HTH - obviously everyone has their own favourite places, and luckily there's plenty of options.

Diane, thank you so much for being so helpful! :) You describe Adelaide as a great place to live!

OH has only main Dealer Experience and is great at his job so would be looking to work in that environment (and wants to move forward in his job!). He will have to be nominated for the Visa by a potential employer for us to be able to move so can't just get any job, if we weren't restricted by this then he would likely just walk in to a Dealership and get offered a job because of his experience ;) (I think so anyway!)

Another question, where are the decent shopping centres? Is there one really good one or a few to chose from? Do you have many department stores in Adelaide? We have none here :eek: (Department Stores that is)

We don't intend to spend a fortune on housing (as we live on one wage) but the rental prices seem quite good for the whole area which is great! Do rentals go quickly? We intend to rent until we decide what to do as we left our house rented out back in the UK.

(I will need a good/modern hairdresser recommended too ;))

mechanics are required all over Adelaide, my advice whichever way you head on the compass would be to get near a train line to the city. It always comes in handy............and dont rent in an area you cant afford to buy in. city eastern burbs, western beach burbs pricey!!