moving to adelaide

Guest charlste

Guest charlste

Hi there all, were just looking at the moment at places to live when we come over, and we were just wondering where was best for families.

I'm a newly qualified nurse and my husband is electrician and we plan to come over on the 176 visa late next year, so were just looking for as much info as possible about everything and anything lol.

Charl (33) Ste (31) Lewis (12) and Layla (1)

Welcome to the forum.

We have been out here for about 14 months so we dont have all the answers but will try and help you.

You ask where is good to live...

Our answer is it depends on where you are going to work,

It takes quite a while to get from the north to the south so do you have any idea on your place of work?

We live in Aberfoyle park and it takes between 30-40 mins to get into the city in the morning depending on the time you leave.

I work with some people who live in Aldinga Beach and it takes them 1h20mins to get to my place of work.

Once you have some idea of where you are going to work we will give you some idea of the good places to live.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, We know what its like moving over with no knowledge about this strange land...

Rob and Mel

Guest SA Great

How long is a piece of string? LOL Most of the new poms seem to move south...anywhere and everywhere from Flagstaff Hill to Aldinga Beach. Hallett Cove is very popular. There are some lovely suburbs North East (Highbury and Athelstone in particular). North can be a bit crusty in some areas but Mawson Lakes and Salisbury Heights are nice. East is a bit posh and there are some lovely areas but a little bit pricey and West has nice areas too like Glenelg, Henley Beach and one of my favourites...West Lakes but once again a bit pricey because its really close to city and beach. So it really depends how much money you have to spend!!

Guest SA Great
Welcome to the forum.

We have been out here for about 14 months so we dont have all the answers but will try and help you.

You ask where is good to live...

Our answer is it depends on where you are going to work,

It takes quite a while to get from the north to the south so do you have any idea on your place of work?

We live in Aberfoyle park and it takes between 30-40 mins to get into the city in the morning depending on the time you leave.

I work with some people who live in Aldinga Beach and it takes them 1h20mins to get to my place of work.

Once you have some idea of where you are going to work we will give you some idea of the good places to live.

Please feel free to ask as many questions as you like, We know what its like moving over with no knowledge about this strange land...

Rob and Mel

Yes a good post guys. It really does depend what sort of job you do. I used to be a toolmaker but most of the work is north and I live in Flagstaff Hill. I now drive for a living hence my reasonably good knowledge of all the suburbs. My favourite in the whole of Adelaide is Springfield at the back of Carrick Hill.....WOW!!!

Guest charlste

THANKS.... At the minute were looking to live closer to schools and good child care. i drive 35 mins now to get to work in the hospital so the drive for work would not be a problem!

We have looked at springfield but unfortunatly a little out of our price range LOL..

We hope to settle in the SE part as we have family in Bellevue Heights near Blackwood. We are currently looking around Flagstaff Hill, Craigburn, northern parts of Aberfoyle Park, Coromandal and Blackwood areas but who knows where can afford to settle when we eventually arrive (early 2012) With the poor £ and house prices slipping in the UK our pensions won't go quite as far!

We shall be going to a few 'opens' when we arrive next week for our 5th annual holiday in Adelaide to get a feel for the areas and see what we can actually afford. We need to be fairly near the girls' school when we begin our grand-parent duties next year and as long as we have a room for them, the occasional visitor and a nice covered eating/relaxation area outside we'll be happy. We don't need the upkeep of a pool (my daughter has one anyway) as you are never too far from the sea and there are so many beautiful beaches.

Good luck with your search.

Guest Mizzmp

Hi,

Looking at the Modbury area would be a good start. Rental is slightly cheaper than the city and it has a hospital. Also, Tea Tree Gully, Redwood Park and Ridgehaven seem nice. Our friends are 40 mins away in Semaphore which is on the coast so you would have to drive for a swim. Your best bet is to find a hospital and work out from there. Realestate.com.au has rentals and sales. Hope that helps.