containers

Guest brianlynnette

Guest brianlynnette

Hi im just wondering what everyone means by 'whatever will fit in yr container' ive been on a few websites for prices and it seems like you get charged by volume not the whole container is this right:biglaugh:

Depends. Some will charge you per space used but others will charge you for a container (many can fill one I am sure). So if you have x amount of cubic meters of stuff to take, you could possibly fit it into half a container or some such and only pay for the space you use. The company will fill it with someone elses stuff then. Others charge per whole container so you may as well fit in as much as you can so you get your monies worth.

This can also change when it ships iirc. Some companies will delay shipping if they still need to fit a container and you are only taking up half of it. Worth researching this further.

Maybe call the companies direct and see if they can help answer specific questions you may have. I always think its good to get the correct info from the horses mouth so to speak.

Also there is a section on the forum for shipping and moving stuff and you may find answers or helpful info there already :)

Transport & Shipping - Poms In Adelaide

Hi we had Doree Bonner from the UK who then pass over to Grace in Oz. We were advised to put our container on a ship to Melbourne and then it comes on land to Adelaide, quicker route. 8 weeks from leaving uk to being in my house here in Adelaide. :jiggy:

We paid for a full container even though they said we wouldnt have enough to full it (we did a good job though) but friends paid for half a container and their 'stuff' was left on the docks for 4 weeks til it was filled! It then took 10/12 weeks to get here.

xxxxx

Guest Youngy65

Hi

You really only need a full container when you get to a certain volume - normally about 70% of a container is where it is more economical to go with a "sole-use" container - otherwise volume is the major factor in determining the price. You can take a part load of a container sharing it with one or more others who also only need part of a container.

let me know if you want more detailed advice

cheers

Guest Youngy65

Browny is spot on - part container loads normally take 10-12 weeks depending on the company you chose whilst your own container subject to availability on ships should be 8-10 weeks door to door..

Guest brianlynnette
Browny is spot on - part container loads normally take 10-12 weeks depending on the company you chose whilst your own container subject to availability on ships should be 8-10 weeks door to door..

Thanks to you all who answered, we only applied for brians spouse visa in nov, even tho were positive he'll get it were still not 100% sure so didnt want to phone them incase they said theyd come out now and give us a quote then start harrash:biglaugh:ing us haha

Guest cdchats

Hi, We have just moved over to OZ and got quotes from about 3 companies. Basically they come round to your house and you walk them round telling them what you plan to take.

We found there was not alot of difference in price between groupage (shared container) and from filling your own (full 20ft container) but they do give you a quote based on volume.

However, when it comes time to actually pack up you will find things you never included on the original quote, dont panic you just need to let the packers know on the day and they will advise you.

We used PSS and they were excellent - could not fault them and would not have been able to do it without them as we only had 2 weeks in which to organise the removals, flights and temporary accomodation for a 2 adults/2kids from a 4 bed home (nightmare).

My advise would be to get more than one quote, all will have offers on to try and tempt you, BUT go on your gut instinct on who you think is offering the best customer service for you - at the end of the day you pay for what you get - pay peanuts get monkeys !!!!

Good luck with the move.

Hi, We have just moved over to OZ and got quotes from about 3 companies. Basically they come round to your house and you walk them round telling them what you plan to take.

We found there was not alot of difference in price between groupage (shared container) and from filling your own (full 20ft container) but they do give you a quote based on volume.

However, when it comes time to actually pack up you will find things you never included on the original quote, dont panic you just need to let the packers know on the day and they will advise you.

We used PSS and they were excellent - could not fault them and would not have been able to do it without them as we only had 2 weeks in which to organise the removals, flights and temporary accomodation for a 2 adults/2kids from a 4 bed home (nightmare).

My advise would be to get more than one quote, all will have offers on to try and tempt you, BUT go on your gut instinct on who you think is offering the best customer service for you - at the end of the day you pay for what you get - pay peanuts get monkeys !!!!

Good luck with the move.

we used anglo pacific,we only sent a few boxes over but it was twice they came to drop the boxes of[wrong village both times]so getting sick of waiting in!wrong place to pick up so waiting in again and then not letting us know when they were dropping off so more waiting in!paid for door to door airway delivery and got the boxes yesterday .five weeks later but it wasn't cheap! nice to get our things though!felt like xmas!

Guest shella_n

we sent over full 40ft with anglo pacific - paid about £3800 I think - ship got here a week early so in just over 5 weeks. They quoted that price for a certain amount of cubic foot but I got them to agree that I paid that amount even if I went over the amount of the cubic foot - as long as it fitted in the container

Guest guest3462

We've just used pickfords and they were very reasonable. We only used 175 cubic square feet and will have to wait 12-15 weeks for our consignment to arrive due to sharing the container.

Guest brianlynnette
we sent over full 40ft with anglo pacific - paid about £3800 I think - ship got here a week early so in just over 5 weeks. They quoted that price for a certain amount of cubic foot but I got them to agree that I paid that amount even if I went over the amount of the cubic foot - as long as it fitted in the container

Hi bloody hell 3,800 when we first decided to emigrate 2.6 yrs ago the cost for a container was only 2,500 what a bloody increase!!! thatd be brill getting yr stuff in 5 weeks tho haha :biglaugh: