Starting the visa process any advise?

Guest dean berridge

Guest dean berridge

Hi, my name is Dean I have been married to Joanne for twelve years, I have three children Chloe 11,and the twins Ben and Callum 8.

Since visiting Adelaide last christmas visiting our family it has been our goal to emigrate. I am a fully qualified bricklayer but have been a site manager for approx 5 years. Due to the emigration rules I have had to change my contract and return to bricklaying(which isn't a bad thing as I want to undertake bricklaying in Australia). I am now eligible to go under the 176 visa. I was thinking of doing the visa my self but after speaking to the visabureau i am unsure. Although the cost of their and other companies fees of approx 2900 english pounds is a big chunk of money, has any body done the process themself and regretted the stress? Is it money well spent, as I feel very determined and confident, I fear it will take longer and I could hit a lot of hiccups along the way.

Any advise and recommended visa companies to use would be appreciated.

Many Thanks

Dean:goofy:

Guest kangomik

You still have to fill all the forms out when you use an agent, your just guided along the way.

We did not use an agent but did seek advice from one, they said that over 90% do NOT use an agent.

If your application is straightforward - one trade, then go for it.

Have a read of all the paperwork first then decide.

Guest guest7008

Hi, in our case, we also are applying under Trade Skills, husband is a Metal Machinist, we are going for SS under visa 176, we have decided to use an agent, they have been excellent, very quick and through, after a week of signing with them, they had all docs ready for TRA skills Assesment, its already been sent, they are on the ball and in my opinion, well worth the money as they take the stress out of everything. As a trade worker, we ahev to lodge to DIAC before JULY 1st 2011, as the new points system comes into effect, being a trade worker under the new points system we would (like hundreds of others) not get enough points, so we have to lodge before july, so if this is your case I would recommend using an agent to get the process done ASAP. Hope thsat helps Helen

• 5 weeks later...
Guest siandsu

Hi,

We were unsure as to using an agent or not. Eventually we decided against purely and simply to save money. To be honest, if you can read and take your time making sure you've not missed anything, it is quite straight forward. Just have the confidence that you've done it right and be willing to wait a while.

Have fun and keep the dream in sight.

Oh by the way, my wife did all the hard work. :)

Guest andy1865

Hi Dean, we started the process 2 years ago and to be honest would have got no where without an agent, I understand some of the people on here saying they managed on there own but that was not an option for us, I am a joiner which i went for skilled sponsor 176 which may be what you will be going for, all i can say is Australia just change things whenever they feel like it which can be very annoying so its always good to have someone who knows what is going on at all times and also takes care of the mega amount of paperwork you will need to plough through, if you are in no rush and need to save some money then this would be an option and prob take upto 3 years, there is a skilled test you have to take then other payments to oz government and so on it has cost us around 3000 then our agent who has been brilliant cost 1900, I'm not trying to put you off going it alone but it will be easier, also look into prices of rentals or to buy as they are also very high at the moment, we was looking forward to going until i started looking at prices of everything today and prices around $400 to $500 a week rent and car prices i have felt sick all day, I have a job offer in Adelaide with a friend who moved out there and loves the place so that will be no problem but now i'm not sure we can manage to go if the house and living expenses are going to be so high, just look into it all before you make a commitment and good luck with it all.

Andy

Guest kangomik

Andy i get what your saying and it's good to see you looking at prices, research research research.

BUT!!!!!!

Your comparing prices against pounds that you now earn in the UK. This is not apples for apples.

Yes rent is 300 to 500 a week, and this depends on where you want to be and what you want to live in.

The average house price will be between $350K - $500K, with a mortgage to boot.

Your wage here should be higher than that in the UK - depending on trade of course, and what you earn in the UK already. Take into account how many incomes will be comming in, if you are going down to one income then this could be a huge strain in the beginning.:goofy:

The type of visa you come on also makes a difference, temp visa you do not get the same benefits from the government as PR, so thats worth a look at too.

Australia is not a cheap place, if your looking for cheap you need to be looking at Asia or the Carribean and deffinately not here.:chatterbox:

If you lucky to bring some cash with you, get it in the bank as soon as possible as the saving intrest rate is around 6% or higher, and can be paid monthly. I know everyone is waiting for the exchange rate to change, but how long is that piece of string?:GEEK:

Cars are a nightmare here, and the exchange rate will not help. The price of many things in Aus - electrical goods etc - are cheaper now than when we arrived, a lot cheaper due to the strength of the dollar. Comparing these prices with the current exchange rate may make things look expensive in the UK, but it's good for us here.:o

There are many variables to look at, it's not easy, and all i can say is very few return back to blighty because of the money. It's dooable, otherwise people - everyone - would not live here if it was to expensive.

At the end of the day we still have to work, we still have bills. there used to be a saying.

" same s**t, shinier bucket "

Guest andy1865
Andy i get what your saying and it's good to see you looking at prices, research research research.

BUT!!!!!!

Your comparing prices against pounds that you now earn in the UK. This is not apples for apples.

Yes rent is 300 to 500 a week, and this depends on where you want to be and what you want to live in.

The average house price will be between $350K - $500K, with a mortgage to boot.

Your wage here should be higher than that in the UK - depending on trade of course, and what you earn in the UK already. Take into account how many incomes will be comming in, if you are going down to one income then this could be a huge strain in the beginning.:goofy:

The type of visa you come on also makes a difference, temp visa you do not get the same benefits from the government as PR, so thats worth a look at too.

Australia is not a cheap place, if your looking for cheap you need to be looking at Asia or the Carribean and deffinately not here.:chatterbox:

If you lucky to bring some cash with you, get it in the bank as soon as possible as the saving intrest rate is around 6% or higher, and can be paid monthly. I know everyone is waiting for the exchange rate to change, but how long is that piece of string?:GEEK:

Cars are a nightmare here, and the exchange rate will not help. The price of many things in Aus - electrical goods etc - are cheaper now than when we arrived, a lot cheaper due to the strength of the dollar. Comparing these prices with the current exchange rate may make things look expensive in the UK, but it's good for us here.:o

There are many variables to look at, it's not easy, and all i can say is very few return back to blighty because of the money. It's dooable, otherwise people - everyone - would not live here if it was to expensive.

At the end of the day we still have to work, we still have bills. there used to be a saying.

" same s**t, shinier bucket "

Lol thanks for that, yes we have gone for full citizen visa as we didn't want to start messing about in a few years again, to be honest i miss read my friends location and was looking at seacliffe and not seaford i nearly had heart attack when i saw the prices to rent but now looking in the right area its come down to around $250 a week, to start with there will only be me working as a joiner and my wife is a fitness instructor so will hope to find something for her but not sure on what i will be paid yet so really need to sort things out, i wasn't trying to be negative with the reply but more honest as someone trying to get out there being realistic as all we see over hear is adverts telling us its the dream place to be, i expect it to be hard work and a while to settle as we have 2 lads 21 18 staying hear it will be a strain but was hoping when we move they will follow, I would rather be skint over there than this place any day so willing to give it our all.

well thanks for the reply and hope it works out for everyone.

Andy

Hi Dean,

Welcome to PIA. We were in a similar position to you but we started this process a year ago. Hubby is a joiner to trade who worked his way up to project manager. Redundancy meant he had to go back on the tools. We had visited Australia on holiday and loved it. We are using an agent (Go Matilda) who have been excellant. We have filled out all the forms ourselves but they gave us pointers and guidance throughout. To be honest I doubt that we would be this far ahead without them.

We now have our case officer, we have sent away for our police checks and our medicals are booked.

It is a lot of money and ultimately you need to make that decision looking back I would still use the agent. It's costly but I always had peace of mind that they were on top of any forthcoming changes and would know what to do.

Good luck with your application,

Lorraine x

Hi Dean,

Welcome to PIA. We were in a similar position to you but we started this process a year ago. Hubby is a joiner to trade who worked his way up to project manager. Redundancy meant he had to go back on the tools. We had visited Australia on holiday and loved it. We are using an agent (Go Matilda) who have been excellant. We have filled out all the forms ourselves but they gave us pointers and guidance throughout. To be honest I doubt that we would be this far ahead without them.

We now have our case officer, we have sent away for our police checks and our medicals are booked.

It is a lot of money and ultimately you need to make that decision looking back I would still use the agent. It's costly but I always had peace of mind that they were on top of any forthcoming changes and would know what to do.

Good luck with your application,

Lorraine x

Guest The Standalofts

Hi Dean

We used an agent (Visa bureau) and I am glad we did as things weren't straight forward with my OHs qualifications and it took forever to sort out, I don't know if I would have have kept at it if it wasn't for our agent. You still have to fill in the paperwork, but you do have piece of mind knowing its all being checked over. It was also good to have someone available to explain various changes in legislation.

As everyone has said its ultimately your decision, whatever way you go - good luck!

Lesley

Guest dean berridge
Lol thanks for that, yes we have gone for full citizen visa as we didn't want to start messing about in a few years again, to be honest i miss read my friends location and was looking at seacliffe and not seaford i nearly had heart attack when i saw the prices to rent but now looking in the right area its come down to around $250 a week, to start with there will only be me working as a joiner and my wife is a fitness instructor so will hope to find something for her but not sure on what i will be paid yet so really need to sort things out, i wasn't trying to be negative with the reply but more honest as someone trying to get out there being realistic as all we see over hear is adverts telling us its the dream place to be, i expect it to be hard work and a while to settle as we have 2 lads 21 18 staying hear it will be a strain but was hoping when we move they will follow, I would rather be skint over there than this place any day so willing to give it our all.

well thanks for the reply and hope it works out for everyone.

Andy

Hi Andy

Don't know if you've been on one of the seminars but there is a down under live show on at Birmingham on saturday 10 pounds a ticket, I going to it and hopefully will find out some useful information. I am gong to undertake my ielts before commencing with the visa as have several options open to go under if I do well, although I've got some swotting to do. As the Oz government are changing the points system in July didn't want to start and be late getting the visa in, still need to sit my TRA. (Best of it is,on the vetassess application it states that it is not a test to see if your quality is good and you do not get a qualification from it!! Therefore have got to pay 1500 dollars to get my trowel out when I did 3 years getting my advanced City and Guilds BIT OF A JOKE!!!).Any how good luck.

Ps went to Seaford for long holiday with family nice place, have you been?

Regards

Dean

Guest andy1865
Hi Andy

Don't know if you've been on one of the seminars but there is a down under live show on at Birmingham on saturday 10 pounds a ticket, I going to it and hopefully will find out some useful information. I am gong to undertake my ielts before commencing with the visa as have several options open to go under if I do well, although I've got some swotting to do. As the Oz government are changing the points system in July didn't want to start and be late getting the visa in, still need to sit my TRA. (Best of it is,on the vetassess application it states that it is not a test to see if your quality is good and you do not get a qualification from it!! Therefore have got to pay 1500 dollars to get my trowel out when I did 3 years getting my advanced City and Guilds BIT OF A JOKE!!!).Any how good luck.

Ps went to Seaford for long holiday with family nice place, have you been?

Regards

Dean

Hi Dean, i have only been to the one in Leeds as this was close to me, yes done all the AQF

stuff and passed all ok but the expense has put a strain on things as its all pay out for things even when you know it could all change, i just had police checks and its come back with a criminal mark on which i am totally in shock right now as the only thing i have done was over 30 years ago and that was breaking a window on a factory, god if that is going to let me down now i will be gutted, :policeman: all we have now is the wait for the medicals to come back so it should be march time when i get to hear from Sydney, not been to Oz before but as my friend who i worked doing kitchens with moved out nearly 3 years now and is just starting his business up so there will be work for me, he loves it out there and wont come back even though it is really expensive out there at the moment.

well good luck with your tests and ya never know we may bump into each other out there.

Cheers... Andy