Shipping a car?

Guest Daisy Duke

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi guys,

Does anyone have any advice for our current dilema?

We are unsure if it is financially worth shipping our car over from the UK when we come over in April. Initially we were going to sell it here and get something over there. However, it seems cars are v expensive, even for older ones? Our car here in the UK is a VW Golf that is 5 yrs old that wev'e had from new. I would be really grateful for your suggestions and feedback as we really don't know what would be better?

I don't know. Personally, we plan to sell our car and buy one once there. Mainly as not many of our make around in Aus and so repairs/parts and servicing would cost. Also the import duties etc would probably make it not worthwhile.

One of our Aussie cousins currently living in the UK also said that the resale value of cars imported is never as good. They have a lovely Mondeo over here but won't be shipping it back as financially it won't work out viable.

Is VW a well known/popular make in Australia? I don't recall them being so big on German cars. If there are no proper VW dealers or repair shops in the area it could be tricky also. And getting hold of parts.

I'd do homework on if there are options for repairs (and more than one or two) to ensure you can get a competitive price on any work etc. And check and see how much parts cost compared to here. And look at shipping costs, import fees etc. Also insurance once there. It all adds up.

Guest snowy10
Hi guys,

Does anyone have any advice for our current dilema?

We are unsure if it is financially worth shipping our car over from the UK when we come over in April. Initially we were going to sell it here and get something over there. However, it seems cars are v expensive, even for older ones? Our car here in the UK is a VW Golf that is 5 yrs old that wev'e had from new. I would be really grateful for your suggestions and feedback as we really don't know what would be better?

Here's a very informative link to importing a car to Oz, well worth a read.

http://www.moving-to-melbourne.co.uk/news/574/general-australian-news/importing-a-car-to-australia/