what visa is needed?

Guest brianlynnette

Guest brianlynnette

hi everyone lynnette here, we havent had our(spouse) visa granted yet!! but just wanted to know if anyones going thru or had the same problem, our eldest daughter and grandson will be staying behind but she wants to come out a yr after weve been in oz (once were settled) if she decided she wanted to stay how would be go about that? would she have to leave oz to change her visa from i holiday one to permanent 1 (daughters an oz citizen by descent) grandson uk citizen :biglaugh:

Guest Aussie pat

Aussie pat's other half here.

If your daughter is an Australian citizen, she has a right to live here in Australia. With regard to her entry into Australia, does she have an Australian passport? Whether she's an Australian citizen or not, I would imagine that she needs to enter on an Australian passport if she moves here. I can't answer your question about the grandson - i e children of Australian citizens by descent. A quick email to DIAC in London will give you a definitive answer, or others on here with direct experience may give you a definitive answer.

Guest Aussie pat

Correction - my apologies. My second sentence didn't make sense and should read - "If she is an Australian citizen, I would imagine she would need to enter on an Australian passport if she moves here permanently".

The visa is a red herring if she is a citizen. She should get a passport if she hasn't got one already, then she can forget about visas.

Guest brianlynnette

If your daughter is an Australian citizen, she has a right to live here in Australia. With regard to her entry into Australia, does she have an Australian passport? Whether she's an Australian citizen or not, I would imagine that she needs to enter on an Australian passport if she moves here. I can't answer your question about the grandson - i e children of Australian citizens by descent. A quick email to DIAC in London will give you a definitive answer, or others on here with direct experience may give you a definitive answer.

Hi aussie pat's o.h lynnette here, yes she has her australian passport, we all got them granted last yr (well me and the 5 kids) weve had to get my o.h a spouse visa (meds are done just waiting for the police check to come back). Terri (our daughter) is not sure if she wants to come out so was wanting to come out for a visit on a holiday visa (the longest 1 you can get) then if she likes it she wants to stay but im not sure if she'd be able to do that, dont know if she'd have to fly out of australia to apply for it, think i better email the aus embassy haha was gonna ask our case officer but want our visa out the way 1st, im just impatient haha thanks:biglaugh:

Guest Aussie pat

Good, she's got her Aussie passport. Given that, she doesn't need a visa for anything, whether it's a holiday visit or moving here permanently. We have 2 kids, both Aussie citizens by descent from their mother. They were born in UK. When we moved over here just over 2 years ago, they just sailed in as Aussie citizens. The only one who had to get a visa was poor old me.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it's as simple as that. Just come in on your Aussie passport all those who have one - no dramas.

Guest brianlynnette

Good, she's got her Aussie passport. Given that, she doesn't need a visa for anything, whether it's a holiday visit or moving here permanently. We have 2 kids, both Aussie citizens by descent from their mother. They were born in UK. When we moved over here just over 2 years ago, they just sailed in as Aussie citizens. The only one who had to get a visa was poor old me.

Unless I'm missing something obvious, it's as simple as that. Just come in on your Aussie passport all those who have one - no dramas.

hi sorry i didnt explain myself properley before, i dont know what type of visa to get for our grandson, our Terri has her aussie passport (citizen by descent) but our grandson has got to apply for a uk one (i think haha) sending off for that next week, so was just wondering if we got him a holiday visa and she decided to stay would that be allowed:biglaugh:

Guest Aussie pat

Short answer is I don't know, but the holiday visa will expire at some point. Also if your daughter's intentions change during her visit i e she decides to stay permanently, then I imagine the rules will say that whoever is with her on a holiday visa i e your grandson, must apply for a resident's visa, and if it was me I'd check out before I came whether that's possible when he's actually here in Oz on holiday. Again I don't know but I have this feeling it may not be possible. Ask Diac when you're ready and get the definitive answer - it could save a lot of to-ing and fro-ing, literally. Once you know, then you can make good decisions.

also, the grandson wouldn't be able to attend school on a tourist visa if he's that age.

I think grandson would need a child PR visa.

Provided his mum had her citizenship by descent when he was born, then he can apply for citizenship once she's lived in australia for two years.

Do double check on this though, I'm just quoting from a thread on PIO where a similar question was answered.