container

Guest brianlynnette

Guest brianlynnette

hi has anyone used a shared container, due to the price of a full container were thinking of just taking our personnal stuff, photos, kids stuff, bedding basically all the stuff in the cupboards and just gonna replace everything when we get there, just wondering how the shared container will work and how much thanks :biglaugh:

I'd think it'd cost you more to replace all your stuff than it will to ship (depending on what you paid for it to begin with and its age/condition). Shared containers vary, you really need to call companies or read online as to their pricing.

We worked out that even if we ship everything in a whole container it'd be cheaper than replacing it like for like when we get there. For example, our sofa, £800 and our bed £800, we'd never be able to afford to buy that at that level of cost once we move back. So we'd rather ship it and have the stuff rather than buy cheaper to replace it all. Our bed was a long term comfort investment so no way am I giving that up :biglaugh:

The only things we won't be bringing will be our cooker as its built in, our fridge as its older now and will be better to buy new and possibly our washing machine and a few Ikea things like bookcases that will be over 5 years old when we move. But beds, mattresses, sofa, desks, chairs etc will all come with us. It probably won't fill a container so we'll look to share also and will work out less than replacing it I am sure.

Guest brianlynnette
I'd think it'd cost you more to replace all your stuff than it will to ship (depending on what you paid for it to begin with and its age/condition). Shared containers vary, you really need to call companies or read online as to their pricing.

We worked out that even if we ship everything in a whole container it'd be cheaper than replacing it like for like when we get there. For example, our sofa, £800 and our bed £800, we'd never be able to afford to buy that at that level of cost once we move back. So we'd rather ship it and have the stuff rather than buy cheaper to replace it all. Our bed was a long term comfort investment so no way am I giving that up :biglaugh:

The only things we won't be bringing will be our cooker as its built in, our fridge as its older now and will be better to buy new and possibly our washing machine and a few Ikea things like bookcases that will be over 5 years old when we move. But beds, mattresses, sofa, desks, chairs etc will all come with us. It probably won't fill a container so we'll look to share also and will work out less than replacing it I am sure.

hi lynnette here yes were the same, need a new 3 pce suite anyway just making this one do for as long as were here, then wont be bothered about leaving it behind, cookers a range 1 very large so wouldnt take the chance of taking it incase it doesnt fit, fridge, freezer, wash mach, dryer and dishwasher are all about 6 yrs old, all still in great cond and all still under guarantee so may as well leave them behind cos wouldnt want to take the risk of them not working when we got there haha its just our luck that will happen:biglaugh:

Hi,

Just thought I'd share our experience of a shared container. We got quotes from several companies, but decided on white and co. The guy who came out to measure our stuff was the only one who new how to use a tape measure and then convert it into volume!!! He was very professional and also gave us "realistic" time schedules. He said it would take at least 8 weeks, probably closer to 10 with the christmas period as fewer people would be shipping.

Unfortunately he was the only professional at the company I think. From there on in it was terrible.

We knew it would take a while, as we only filled about one fitfth of a container and knew it would be a while before it was full and could be loaded for shipping.

They collected everything on the 15th of december 2009- just. The guys were over 2 hours late and didnt even apologise. It seemed the person who worked out their route at the office had no idea of realistic schedules...

We left on 1st feb 2010 and arrived on the 6th feb. After a couple of weeks, I rang the UK to see how long our stuff would be. It hadn't even left yet. It was still in the storage facility!!!!! Two months on and it hadnt moved since the 15th december....

As you can imagine I had some very serious words with the manager....he assured me it would leave very soon and take 6 weeks. I had been told the passge was 8 weeks minimum on more than one occasion.....he was full of s##t, and I told him so. I had several conversations with him and was given a load of crap everytime. Eventually it arrived in Australia- in MELBOURNE! Not Adelaide as it was supposed to...so it had to be freighted up here then too.

Our stuff finally arrived at the end of April. 4 months and lots of bull later. To cap it off, one of the boxes, containing my beloved bike riding gear didnt show... I hadnt ridden for nearly 5 months at that point so I could have wept. Fortunately it turned up the next day- after yet more phone calls and hassle.

My advice would be get a whole container if you can afford one. That way it will be shipped as soon as it leaves your house, not sit around in a storage facility waiting to get filled up.

You might not have much, but if you can afford it, buy new beds, sofa etc in the UK and ship them here- quality stuff is MUCH cheaper there. If you can afford to spend the money buying stuff before you leave then I would do it. Make sure you tell customs you have owned it all for at least six months and you shouldnt have to pay any duty on it.

Second hand cars are very expensive here too- you could fill your container with that- seriously, you could bring a car over in a container costing 3 or 4 thousand pounds and still save a ton of money if you bring a fairly new car over. I can tell you that a honda civic or similar sized car will fit in a container as I did it a few months back for temporary storage! With room for other stuff- plus you can fill the inside of the car too. Check out Cars for sale | New & Used Cars | Car news, reviews & blogs at carsguide.com.au to find out about second hand car prices. My eleven year old vectra estate cost 8000 dollars here- you could get the same thing for a 1000 quid in the UK....

All that said, you dont come here for a cheaper life because it isnt- its more expensive now. However the QUALITY of life is amazing.

We have been here a year today, and we absolutely love it.

Just noticed you have a lot of electrical items- in most cases you just need to change the plug when you get here! Simple! White good s are reasonable in price here though unless you go for miele or top end european stuff.

Some TVs / DVD players have issues here though- ours have all been fine, but some might not work. You'll probably get more advice on that from here.

You wont watch much telly anyway as you'll always be outside somewhere :D

Guest brianlynnette
Hi,

Just thought I'd share our experience of a shared container. We got quotes from several companies, but decided on white and co. The guy who came out to measure our stuff was the only one who new how to use a tape measure and then convert it into volume!!! He was very professional and also gave us "realistic" time schedules. He said it would take at least 8 weeks, probably closer to 10 with the christmas period as fewer people would be shipping.

Unfortunately he was the only professional at the company I think. From there on in it was terrible.

We knew it would take a while, as we only filled about one fitfth of a container and knew it would be a while before it was full and could be loaded for shipping.

They collected everything on the 15th of december 2009- just. The guys were over 2 hours late and didnt even apologise. It seemed the person who worked out their route at the office had no idea of realistic schedules...

We left on 1st feb 2010 and arrived on the 6th feb. After a couple of weeks, I rang the UK to see how long our stuff would be. It hadn't even left yet. It was still in the storage facility!!!!! Two months on and it hadnt moved since the 15th december....

As you can imagine I had some very serious words with the manager....he assured me it would leave very soon and take 6 weeks. I had been told the passge was 8 weeks minimum on more than one occasion.....he was full of s##t, and I told him so. I had several conversations with him and was given a load of crap everytime. Eventually it arrived in Australia- in MELBOURNE! Not Adelaide as it was supposed to...so it had to be freighted up here then too.

Our stuff finally arrived at the end of April. 4 months and lots of bull later. To cap it off, one of the boxes, containing my beloved bike riding gear didnt show... I hadnt ridden for nearly 5 months at that point so I could have wept. Fortunately it turned up the next day- after yet more phone calls and hassle.

My advice would be get a whole container if you can afford one. That way it will be shipped as soon as it leaves your house, not sit around in a storage facility waiting to get filled up.

You might not have much, but if you can afford it, buy new beds, sofa etc in the UK and ship them here- quality stuff is MUCH cheaper there. If you can afford to spend the money buying stuff before you leave then I would do it. Make sure you tell customs you have owned it all for at least six months and you shouldnt have to pay any duty on it.

Second hand cars are very expensive here too- you could fill your container with that- seriously, you could bring a car over in a container costing 3 or 4 thousand pounds and still save a ton of money if you bring a fairly new car over. I can tell you that a honda civic or similar sized car will fit in a container as I did it a few months back for temporary storage! With room for other stuff- plus you can fill the inside of the car too. Check out Cars for sale | New & Used Cars | Car news, reviews & blogs at carsguide.com.au to find out about second hand car prices. My eleven year old vectra estate cost 8000 dollars here- you could get the same thing for a 1000 quid in the UK....

All that said, you dont come here for a cheaper life because it isnt- its more expensive now. However the QUALITY of life is amazing.

We have been here a year today, and we absolutely love it.

Hi i was thinking of doing that (buying all stuff we want to replace over her) then shipping it out, then sending it way before we go haha, my auntie has a large bedroom that hopefully we can store everything in ready for when we get there haha our cars not worth bringing over anyway haha theres so much to consider but i read everyones replies and take it all in thats why i probably keep asking the same questions haha:biglaugh:

Guest kangomik

The big yellow forum used to have a few horror stories about shared containers, this was one of the reasons we did not have a shared one, along with a better timescale.

On the subject of cars, give it some thought if you intend to buy a car here. My car in the UK was a Mazda 626, 1998- a complete sh##ter (but reliable) worth about 500 quid maximum. The same thing here would be at least 3 grand english!!!!

If you intend on buying a car less than ten years old over here, it would probably pay you to bring one. After 5 years, cars in the UK are pretty much worthless, because people always want something newer. In Australia people dont seem to care as much and will happily drive round in a 15 year old car. Lots of people buy new and keep them for years and years. And they are still worth a lot of money when they sell!!

If your container costs 3-4 thousand pound, that wont go far at all on a second hand car here.

Plus you get the benefit of your own container, with just your stuff in that sails almopst straight away. I think you have to own it for a period of 3 or 6 months before you come to avoid paying import duty.

Look into car prices here in SA properly before you dismiss the idea. SA car prices are higher than some other states due to numbers.

It might save you a packet in the long run, and kill 2 birds with one stone!

Remeber you can still fill the car with stuff, inside the container...

I wish we'd done it.....

Hope this helps. I looked into it before I came, but I was still shocked at how much real nails cost. (relative to UK values.) Especially with the oz dollar being so strong against the money you bring over.

Cheers, Jim