O'Halloran Hill/Hallett Cove/Sheidow Park

Guest coltb1

:arghh:What a minefield!

Checking out a few suburbs as we are visiting Adelaide in April to validate visas. Having no luck trying to find out which "junior" school would be nearest to O'Halloran Hill. Daughter is nearly 9 years old. Anyone? If someone can recommend suburbs to visit that are nice with property prices $300,000 to $400,000 and good schools I would welcome pointers. Also, views/recommendations/do not go there! on areas and schools in Hallett Cove, Sheidow Park and Happy Valley (and surrounding areas) would be great.

Really loved Hallett Cove but then went on You Tube and some youngsters who go to the school recorded a rap number which turned me right off. I know they are youngsters but they seemed to be a bit more "street" and am trying to get a nice school for my daughter. Also, I've read that it is a hot spot for arsonits. If anyone can put me straight I would be grateful.

Husband is a carpenter and I will be travelling to CBD so transport tips for me would be good too.

Thanks in advance for anyone that can help with info.

I guess we Brits are a bit neurotic about stuff but it sure helps with a few pointers. We as a family are going to go to Australia for the first time and we certainly are not expecting a life that is sun, sea and fun - rose tinted specs are nice but not actually what real life is all about. I am a dedicated "DISSECTIONIST" if that is a word. RESEARCH RESEARCH AND MORE RESEARCH and then change my mind yet again. I am hoping to arrive and actually fall in love with everything and everyone and then go with my gut instincts. Having said that - it helps to be in the know so thanks for taking the trouble to reply to my thread!

No problem. I think this site is fantastic as there are a lot of genuinely nice people who want to help and are happy to impart their knowledge. I've learnt quite a few things! I am sure you will get a lot of replies to other parts of your question. There's nothing wrong with doing your homework, most people want to provide the best they can for their family and it is important to live in a nice suburb, with good schools close by.

I live in Hallett Cove and my 9 year old attends Hallett Cove R-12 school. In my view it is a good school and offers extra support to children who may need extra help or learning support, something that can be overlooked in smaller schools (in my opinion and speaking from experience). They also have a very strict anti-bullying policy and their social skills are strong. There is also a new system being set up to support migrant children (the school has recognised the need to offer support to the large influx of primarily UK migrant families).

They do have a school zone for primary kids so you'll need to contact them to see where you'd have to live to be able to enroll your child. I would suggest arranging to meet with Julie Cooper, the head of the junior school as she is very helpful.

I love Hallett Cove but as with anywhere it doesn't come problem free. The 2nd summer we were here (2009) there were a couple of house fires that were caused by arsonists but that's it. If you need to be near a train line and all the conveniences then you can't beat it. And it is well placed for getting out and about either south, to the hills or city.

House price wise you won't get a 4 bed for anything less than $400k and to be honest they're generally pushing the $480k to $500k mark. So you will likely be looking at a 3 bed within your price range if you decide HC is the place for you.

I hope some of this info helps.

Good luck with your reccie and eventual move. Any more questions just ask.

:)

I believe your nearest primary schools in the state sector would be Braeview, Flagstaff Hill, Wooded Primary, Sheidow Park Primary, Happy Valley and maybe the hub at Aberfoyle Park.

You will find a house within your budget in O'Halloran Hill, Flagstaff Hill, Sheidow Park, Trott Park, Happy Valley, Reynella, It just depends on a lot of factors obviously, how modern you want your house to be, land size required, no of bedrooms etc. It is pretty easy to get a gauge when you are here though, just keep your afternoons free at weekends for attending opens to get an idea. Buy the paper saturday morning, and it lists opens in there for that weekend.

Hi

plenty of primary schools around to choose from...but just a word of advice, if you are planning to put down roots permanently straight away, you should be also looking at what will be your high school zone...

primary school are more lenient as to where you live, but high schools arent...

Oh and as for that video on you tube? Looks to me like some older kids having a bit of fun.....better doing that then walking the streets, causing strife.....I honestly wouldn't let something like that put you off an area or a school....I would be more worried if you were watching a video of something violent!!! Like a while back, where a video of a child at a local high school here in the south being beaten up and bullied, was all over the net and also on the news...........now a video like that might put me off a school!!!!

The teen kids here have the same issues etc as in the UK..........the good thing here is that there are more opportunities for them to get involved in sports and other activities.....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest coltb1
I live in Hallett Cove and my 9 year old attends Hallett Cove R-12 school. In my view it is a good school and offers extra support to children who may need extra help or learning support, something that can be overlooked in smaller schools (in my opinion and speaking from experience). They also have a very strict anti-bullying policy and their social skills are strong. There is also a new system being set up to support migrant children (the school has recognised the need to offer support to the large influx of primarily UK migrant families).

They do have a school zone for primary kids so you'll need to contact them to see where you'd have to live to be able to enroll your child. I would suggest arranging to meet with Julie Cooper, the head of the junior school as she is very helpful.

I love Hallett Cove but as with anywhere it doesn't come problem free. The 2nd summer we were here (2009) there were a couple of house fires that were caused by arsonists but that's it. If you need to be near a train line and all the conveniences then you can't beat it. And it is well placed for getting out and about either south, to the hills or city.

House price wise you won't get a 4 bed for anything less than $400k and to be honest they're generally pushing the $480k to $500k mark. So you will likely be looking at a 3 bed within your price range if you decide HC is the place for you.

I hope some of this info helps.

Good luck with your reccie and eventual move. Any more questions just ask.

:)

Thank you so much for your reply. Sorry I've taken a while to get back to thank you.

I am really pleased that you gave Hallett School a thumbs up. I will definitely make contact to take a look around. Also knowing about the good transport links from Hallett Cove is a big plus. Thanks again.

Guest coltb1
I believe your nearest primary schools in the state sector would be Braeview, Flagstaff Hill, Wooded Primary, Sheidow Park Primary, Happy Valley and maybe the hub at Aberfoyle Park.

You will find a house within your budget in O'Halloran Hill, Flagstaff Hill, Sheidow Park, Trott Park, Happy Valley, Reynella, It just depends on a lot of factors obviously, how modern you want your house to be, land size required, no of bedrooms etc. It is pretty easy to get a gauge when you are here though, just keep your afternoons free at weekends for attending opens to get an idea. Buy the paper saturday morning, and it lists opens in there for that weekend.

Thanks for getting back to me and for the useful info. Will definitely check a few houses out and thank you for the tip about getting the paper and weekend open viewings. Sorry it took a while.