just arrived!!

Guest theclarkes

Guest theclarkes

Well we are finally here, flights were brill, now it all seems not worth the wait, our older kids are giving us a really hard time. We have only been to noarlunga shopping centre and glenelg for a walk round but they hate it! We are staying in christies beach for 12 nites and walked to local hotel for dinner last nite and kids felt totally out of place, felt like everyone was staring and I must agree felt a bit strange so we walked back and ordered chinese. So far its nothing like I thought. We are hoping living near the city will be more what we are all used too. So difficult I don't know how to keep the family mood up cos at the minute its a case of what have we done?! It probably seems a ridiculous statement. We are meeting with a family we have been in touch with for a while tonite and hoping my older ones will feel a bit happier. Am trying to be optimistic and just hope day by day they settle in, any advise would be great. Xx

Completely normal feelings, jet lag is a funny old thing. I used to liken it a bit to childbirth, there's the feeling you should be totally elated but actually you're thinking "what the hell have we done?!"

Doesn't help that it's raining today either here I guess.

Take it one step at a time, try not to make too many major decisions (having said that within two months here we'd bought a house, two cars and a dog), and take some time to really look around.

If you're all not too tired and have use of a car, Friday night is a nice night to visit Adelaide's central market, and I think it's the first night of the Fringe tonight in the City.

How old are your kids?

Guest theclarkes

Hi diane, the kids are 16,17 and 19. Have 2 younger ones but they're no prob. You are originally from chelmsford arnt u diane? So u know what they have been used too, hopefully it will all work out in the end. :)

I totally agree with Diane regarding the jetlag.I dreamed of living in Glenelg for ages and when we got here i just cried,and cried,and cried.i was so dissapointed.I told my husband i hated it!!!!So we moved down to Moana,and i still cried!Because i spend half my time wishing i lived in Glenelg because there is more to do.Up to about 2 weeks ago i asked myself everyday,what have i done?I was mad with my husband for bringing me here! Then,something just clicked.No more tears or threatening to get on the next plane home.I think meeting poeple makes it easier and would advise that you start trying sooner rather than later.even though it feels strange.Good luck with the meet with the other family.My thoughts are with you.

Hi there,

Sorry to hear about your arrival blues....my kids were pretty much the same. They were 14, 16 and 18 so I know what you are going through.

Diane is right about the jet lag. I meet so many people who are totally different after a week!

Todays weather doesn't help neither.

Just below the Noarlunga centre is the entertainment precinct...pool, bowling, movies etc. When the weather clears there's great beaches on your doorstep...if you like dogs go down to Christies / O Sullivan and then there's Port Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga South, Seaford, Moana etc. Mc Laren vale wine region is on your doorstep but the young adults will probably be bored with that!

Whe we arrived 4 years ago we went into the city on the weekend (Sunday) and at the market on Rundle there was free bicycle hire. It's a really great way to see the city especially along the Torrens. I am not sure if it's still there?

Where abouts in Christies are you? I am in Port Noarlunga so if you are still feeling bad you can always pop round and have a chat?

Take care.

Tamara

Hi diane, the kids are 16,17 and 19. Have 2 younger ones but they're no prob. You are originally from chelmsford arnt u diane? So u know what they have been used too, hopefully it will all work out in the end. :)

Hmm, tough age to move. Definitely head into the City tonight and head for the East End and Garden of Unearthly Delights, Rundle Street area. Despite the rain it'll be buzzing with the fringe, and there's a nice pub (the Stag) and plenty of cafes around there to just sit and people watch till you feel a bit comfortable. If not tonight, then any night over the weekend it will still be quite lively there.

It does take time to begin to feel settled, but it's also a difficult age for your kids to move abroad. Did you visit previously and were the kids totally behind the move? (I know that at that age had my parents decided to move abroad, I'd have waved them off at the airport - my friends, my ambitions, my future was all about where I'd always lived and I'd have had no intention of upping sticks ...)

Hopefully the weather will brighten up in the next few days and allow you to see more of the place - it's amazing how a bit of sunshine helps! Do some of the things already mentioned, plus whatever it is the kids enjoy. Despite how you feel, remember that the mood you display can do much to set the tone for everyone else, so try to stay positive and optimistic and treat it as an adventure.

Jim

Guest Squareman

Just ground the miserable little ****s until they start behaving themselves!

Ok, just joking. I've only been here a few weeks myself, but I guess I knew what I was getting myself into because I have been here before on holidays etc. I think enough people have told you that what you are going through is normal, so hang in there! Kids adapt quite quickly and once they leave their 'uk mindset' behind, they will soon adapt to the aussie way of life and start meeting frieinds. Best of luck!

hello we have been here now for nearly 5 weeks and are missing home we are stopping just up the road from you if u fancy it we could all meet up for chat we free anytime the mitchells if u interested let me know xx

Hello there, its Louise. So you arrived. Funny we were talking about you only yesterday and wondering how you are getting on.

Look , if you want us to come and meet you next weekend for chats just private message me, or i think you may still have my email.

Be great to catch up on good old Springfield / Chelmsford

Take it easy, Louise & Mark

Guest Guest5035
Completely normal feelings, jet lag is a funny old thing. I used to liken it a bit to childbirth, there's the feeling you should be totally elated but actually you're thinking "what the hell have we done?!"

?

LOL Diane

Stevo

Guest kangomik

Ouch, it must be so difficult when the kids are older. Must be a huge shock to the system.

Everyone will look at you when you go out locally, it's not a threatening thing, it's just a case of everyone keeping an eye out for others. If your new it's worth taking time out to meet people.

Jet lag is terrible, and it will take a week to get your heads right.

The rain won't help but at least it is happening while you have jet lag.

The city and the Fringe will be busy for a few weeks, then womadelaide if they are into music, then the clipsall. By then you will have all found your feet, recharged the batteries and sorted alll the boring stuff out.

Don't give in to early it took you long enough to get here !

It will take a while to adjust. Everything is new, everything is different, you are out of your comfort zone and can't rely on 'automatic pilot' any more. On top of this the jet lag makes you feel terrible, plus you do feel that everyone's looking at you. I've spotted people wandering around West Lakes mall sometimes, looking so obviously British and like they've just got off the plane - but that self-consciousness will go and you will start to blend in. The important thing is to smile, be friendly, and you will find the locals will be really helpful. Act like you belong here.

Hopefully once the jet lag wears off and you start to get your bearings and maybe meet some friendly people, it will get better. Just relax, don't try to do everything straight away, buy some wine, go for a walk down the beach (when the weather is better) and chill out. It will take time. If Adelaide is nothing like you expected than that's normal (so many countries I've visited have been quite different from my expectations). It must be harder with teenagers, but there are many stories on here of people who've had problems with their older children wanting to go back to the UK and after a while they've settled down and started getting in to things here. Good Luck!

Guest moonraker1959

Hi,hope you are all feeling abit better?Emigrating is a huge thing to do,and what you're experiencing is completely normal.My parents emigrated to Adelaide in 1970.No internet back then,and all they were given at Oz house in London was a two page booklet!:biglaugh:So even back then,my Mum especially was extremely unsettled.We were put on a bus,and taken to Pennington hostel!Not the most prestige of places!lol Of course Adelaide will seem very strange to you and your family.On the plus side Adelaide,once you get to know it,is very very easy to get around,and it will of course become familiar probably in a short space of time!Your kids are probably abit scared of it all,and no doubt recieving text messages/emails from friends telling them how much they miss them ect.Try and stay positive,and what you are feeling is only temporary.Best of luck and I hope everything works out for you all.

Guest Bluenose

Been there myself (but as the teenager) do a search of my name on this site and you'll read some of the things I experienced. (I won't type it all again as I think ppl have heard enough of my story ;) )

It's tough for teens....very tough. The friends that they've spent most of their lives with and who "understand them" aren't there any more....They spent their short lives finding those ppl and can't be arsed going through it all again! :) It's not until you get older that you realise that friends come and go and the friendship wheel keeps on turning. I know they can be a pain in the arse (I was!) but take the time to listen to their concerns....talk & sympathise with them and more importantly try to do as much as you can together as a family. Ask them for soultions on what would make them settle here easier (That doesn't include going home)....I would suggest that you enter into some kind of agreement that they must seriously give living here a go for at least 2 years and if they don't settle then you will look at other options (what ever you decide those will be) That doesn't mean that they sit in their room (like a cell) waiting for those 2 years to pass....

The above are just some suggestions and of course it's far easier said than done. Sadly my family didn't do the above for me....maybe if they had it would have made things a lot easier for me and I wouldn't have been such a **** head. :)

Good luck and feel free to contact me should you require some more sagely advise ;)

Cheers

J

ps I don't have kids myself but I did arrive here as a 16 year old....

• 2 weeks later...
Guest theclarkes

Hi all i cant thank you enough for all your kind words and help truth is you were all right it has got a little easier the kids do seem a bit more focused on what lies ahead apart from the odd outburst of 'IM GOING BACK TO ENGLAND THIS IS S..T' but those rants are getting less. Our eldest is now looking for some kind of job and our lad is also coming round to the idea as well plus i took him to join a footy team and he took part in his 1st training session with them tonight so hopefully things are looking up.

Thanks guys

Neil and Lorraine

Glad to hear things are settling down for you all. As others have said it takes time to find your feet and the initial shock of the move and the enormity of it all to wear off. It can take months to feel settled and to start to really be comfortable in a new country and home. So be prepared for the rough with the smooth and hopefully over time everyone will start to feel more settled.

I know we've exchanged messages in the past and I just want to say again that if you want to talk about anything, adjusting, feeling homesick just yell. Although I am sure you'll find a few people on here who you'll be able to meet in person now aswell :)

Guest Claireandchrisdownunder

I have two daughters 17, 15, and a son 9. we arrived 9 months ago and it did nothing but rain and rain and rain.but we have a wonderful life here and your children once settled will see how amazing it is. My eldest two took longer as they left behind boyfriends a good school and a good social live........ or so they thought it was good, now they do water sports, dive snorkel. if your children would like to meet ours and spend a day out on our boat on the murry doing water sports to cheer them up let me know. trust me they will come around.