Another newbie!

Guest cockney lass

Guest cockney lass

Hi

I only found out that this site existed yesterday, so thought I'd join, and say hello. :lol:

Already been through the process of getting the visa etc and have been living here for 11 months now.

Absolutely love it here. So glad we chose Adelaide. It's everything I expected and more. 8)

Good luck to all of those who are still going through the process. For my family it was worth all the hard work.

Cheers

Guest Rachael

Hi,

Good to see people from Adelaide joining the forum. I'm still indecisive as to whether to move to Adelaide or stay in England. My husband, Mum, Dad and brother are all trying to convince me. What makes Australia such a great place to be? Can you tell me more about living there?

The only thing keeping me here is the rest of my family and friends, I need some convincing to make me see Adelaide as more important than them.

Rachael.

Guest cockney lass

"I need some convincing to make me see Adelaide as more important than them."

My husband really wanted to come, I wasn't opposed to it, but I wasnt as enthusiastic to start with, as he was. I went along with it, actually it was me who organised the lot of it, and the more I got into the setting up of everything, i.e. the visa process etc, the more I came around to the idea.

The thought of leaving my mum behind filled me with dread, (my dad died a few years ago) so I felt incredibly guilty leaving her, although she has always been incredibly supportive.

Anyway to cut a long story short, as I said before we have been here 11 months now, I absolutely love it, have settled really well, and my husband has struggled on and off. He is only just now starting to settle, but has had lots of moments that he would go home tomorrow, but because me and the kids love it here so much, he has perservered.

Although saying that, he doesn't want to go home because he don't like australia, or the australian life, it's just that he misses his family loads.

He is getting alot better, and if it wasn't for his family, he wouldn't want to go back. he knows our life here is much better and so is the life for our kids.

I will write more later about life in oz and what i think makes it great, but need to go and do the school run now.

Bye for now.

Guest cockney lass

Hi, me again

been trying to think about what makes living in adelaide so good. And it's not that I'm having a hard time saying what, but alot of its personal to me, and probably wouldn't be what makes it good for someone else.

So, thought I'd just give you my experience, for what its worth. :roll:

I've got two kids, ages 6 and 2. The 6 year old has settled into his new school really well. He's made some good friends, and I've made a couple too. I find his school very good, the people are all very friendly. I find they give the kids here more responsibility at a younger age, which has filled mine with more confidence. He was always very shy, but has really come out of himself since arriving. And as a mother, that is wonderful to see. He rides his bike to school everyday and loves being outside.

My 2 year old absolutely adores the beach. At least once a week, we wait for my hubby to come home from work, then the 4 of us head to the beach. We normally do this early evening, go and have a swim/paddle in the sea and watch the sunset before heading home. It's just lovely. The beach we go is nearly always empty. The sea is clear and the sand is clean.

We've also got a much better social life here. We were fortunate enough to meet 3 families before we even emigrated, (through a different website similar to this one) and we kept in touch, and we've become really good friends. Back in the UK, although me and my husband had good friends, when we met up with them, it was always separate, cos one of us was having the kids. Where here, our social life is very family orientated. We all go round each others for bbq's etc and all the kids are always included. Or we if we go out for a meal,again the kids all come. (fortunately all our kids get on very well, even though there are very different age ranges). We've also met new friends since being here aswell. People here (english and ozzie) seem more helpful towards you, probably cos most of them have gone through the same experience, and know that it can be hard sometimes and I think the ozzies are just a bunch of nice people (well the ones that i've met, anyway).

I love driving round Adelaide (although I tend to stick more to the south). Some parts are quite old fashioned, almost 70's america like. But again, I find that endearing. Adelaide city is very small, but very pretty. Walk down the river torrens and it's beautiful. They have good shopping malls and nothings ever too crowded.

I was born and bred in london and lived 15 minute walk away from London city. And although I loved growing up in London, I'm quite happy to live somewhere quiet now. I'm not going to start slagging off london, cos as I say, I loved growing up there and still like it, but I love Adelaide cos it's everything london's not. i.e. it's small, alot fewer people, the weather is great, the people are great.

We really do have some wonderful beaches here. There are alot of parks that are lovely, and everything is mostly very clean. There are some rough bits, but I've not got a problem (as I said I grew up in london). I just think adelaide has got a nice feel to it. I feel very safe here.

Anyway, sorry if i've rattled on a little bit too much and didn't mean to bore any of you. :cry:

If i can be of help, give me a shout. :D

xxxx

Guest dglamoore

Hi Cockney lass

Thanks for a fantastic post - not the least bit boring :D

I love the idea of all scooting off to the beach in an evening and watching the sun go down.

When I lived in sussex we were in a tiny seaside town and often used to get up early, don 5 layers or so of clothes and head to the beach with a thermos to watch the sunrise while our westie terrorised the early morning joggers :lol:

I miss those days and this is what I am most looking forward to when we move :D

Lisa

Guest jen&ian

Thanks for that fantasticly posititve post Cockney Lass, you 've just backed up all the reasons we want to come to Adelaide. Particularly welcome as I've just been having an, "Oh my God what are we doing?" kind of a moment :shock:

Cheers 8)

Jen & Ian

Guest cockney lass
I've just been having an, "Oh my God what are we doing?" kind of a moment :shock:

I know exactly how you feel, I had plenty of those moments, when we were back in the UK. When it was coming time to us leaving the UK, I even said to my hubby, that I feel like the whole process has been like a joke, that went to far!

I mean you start saying things like "oh I wonder what australia is like, bet it's a nice place to live, wouldn't it be nice to live in the sunshine etc etc" all quite innocent remarks, not really believing that I would ever be here.

We holidayed in Sydney in 2002, (which was what got us thinking about it in the first place, and the funny thing was, we couldn't choose between whether to go Sydney or Centreparks in the UK :lol: :lol: mainly because my son was 2 then, and i was scared about taking him on a long flight, so we actually chose centreparks, got it all set where,when we wanted to go etc, my hubby rang up to book it, and it was the one that burnt down, so to cut a long story shorter :lol: we ended up going sydney) and the rest as they say ........ but I remember being on the hotel balcony in sydney and my hubby going, "i could live in australia", and I was there thinking "ooooh i don't know, but not to worry, nothing will ever come of it" :lol: :lol:

It's funny the hand that fate gives you, or the paths in life that you choose :roll:

No regrets now though, as I've said earlier, I loooooooove it.

xxxx

Guest Sue & Ash

great posts!

makes me feel 'safer' (iykwim) with our decision to move to adelaide.

we are only at the beginning .. so still lots of time to have butterflies :lol:

susi

Guest dglamoore

I get butterflies and a silly grin when I think of living in Adelaide - not there yet and have never been but already feels so much like home :lol:

Would be there tomorrow if flights were not booked for 8 weeks and did not have a business to shut down - even our money is there now as HIFX forward contract came in this week and money is now in Westpac waiting for us :D

Lisa

Guest JPT07

Hi just to let you know cockney lass that was a great posting and makes us feel much better. It sound a great place to bring up the girls (aged 8 & 11). Can't wait to get there but it a long way off at the moment. Thanks. Paul & Lorna.