Thinking about Emigrating - HELP!!

JoanneV

Me, husband and children have decided to emigrate to Oz, already have auntie living in Adelaide. I am looking for as much information as possible on where to start, its mind boggling!!! Husband been working in fencing and construction for years but doesn't actually have a qualification or certificate so his employers are putting him through joinery course. Does experience count towards anything or does he need a recognised qualification? How long does the process normally take and what are the steps we need to follow i.e. medicals, police checks etc. Too much to take in!! Think I need a step by step guide:arghh: I know we have a long way to go but would be grateful for as much info as possible.

Guest Libby1971

Hi

In your place, I would ask questions, ask questions and then ask more. I can't say if your husband needs to prove what he can do and so I would contact a migration agent to ask them. I think most would at least tell you what you need to do and if you would get in before asking you to commit with them or anything like that.

The process itself is demanding and at times frustrating but it is sooooo worth it when you hear that you have the visa.

What you need to do is get your skills assessed first to prove that you have the necessary skills to get here as you get points for that but need to prove that you can have the points. You need to prove quals if you have them, have references from employers etc. Once that comes back, then you submit the visa application. After a while, you may be asked to do your medicals and to submit your police checks. Some visas ask to send this info at the time of submitting your visa, others don't so you would need to check which visa class you plan to apply for. Then you wait and wait for the magic call/ email/ letter to say you have the visa.

Hope this info helps you with the basics. If your family are prepared to sponsor you or give you support, I know there is a visa you can apply for but in our case this didn't apply so can't give you much help on this, I'm afraid, although I am sure someone else can.

Libby

hello and welcome :cute:

first step done to join us!

next step probably to figure out which visa.

i agree: go and get a free pre assessment. there are a few agents around who do them.

basically to determine if they can get your through it ;)

then decide if you want an agent to hold your hand through the whole process.

we did in the end but it was just our circumstances. i bet if you have lots of time at your hand and are willing to read and read and read a bit more you can do it on your own!

since you've decided on adelaide (another huge step done already!) have a look at

www.adelaidebound.com - very usefull!!!!!

next: ask ask ask :jiggy:

Guest jill wright

Hi Joanne

Yes the thing definately to do is get the pre-assessment.We did it and were 15 points short so are hoping to go out on SIR495 visa.Phil had his Phils assessed before it all changed this year so at the time they were taking into account work experience which he had 20 years of so was successful. Now I think you need a qualification whatever the trade. Anyway good luck!!!!

The Wrights(West Yorkshire)

hi ya joanne and welcome to the group that has enough of this country and decided to leave this country... as for visas agents i used www.australiamigrate.co.uk they charged me £1300 all in for all paper work and the cost of other stuff as well in total £3000. but if you want to get to oz quickly then contact your auntie and see if she would be willing to sponser you this will allow you in straight away for a year and work, all the family sponser means it if you go tits up down under then she will have to pay your way until your back on your feet

any way if you need any help then post a thread anyone on this forum will be willing to help as we all have been in your shoes good luck

alex

Thanks for all your advice.

I think I will look into the family sponsored visa, my auntie would be more than willing to help as my uncle has his own business in Oz and could probably quarantee OH plenty of work. Would we be eligible to apply for permanent residency once we have been there for 1 year or would we have to come back to UK?

Joanne

joanne

as far as i know you could apply once in adeliade after 1 yr my best advice is go to currie street in adeliade once there and speak to migration people about situation your going to be in about family sponsor they will point you in the right way as to do or contact the web site i gave you they are more then help full, tell them alex duncan told you about them they have just finished help me get my visa.....any more help just ask

alex

Guest graandjac

Hi Joanne v , not sure where you live bnut a good place to start would be the meet that has been arranged for the 12th Jan more info in Get togethers, always welcome to come and do some brain picking. Cheers Graham.......welcome to PIA:)

Guest chillyanna

hi joanne

just want to let you know about some magazines that would be worth a look for you to get ideas and inspiration. many people on here will know them already.

first is called "australia & new zealand" and it's monthly and costs £3.75.

the second is called "emigrate". it is a annual publication and it covers many topics about emigrating to many different countries not just australia.

it has a website to look at also WWW.emigrate2.co.uk

the 2008 edition should be out not long from now.

good luck

paul