Need to hear some positive things

Guest Paula H

Guest Paula H

Hi all,

Im feeling a bit down about applying for a visa... I have asked some questions on here and other forums and all i seem to be getting are negative responses ie. jobs scarce, money is rubbish, the australians resent the british, DONT DO IT (yes someone has told me that).

So now after feeling so excited im starting to feel scared and wondering if we are indeed doing the right thing. (3 kids, 11, 8, 2, OH - Carpenter, me - Medical Secretary) Im really beginning to wonder about leaving everything we know to go to everything we wanted but dont know.

Please post some positive things :sad:

Guest Guest75

Hiya Paula

No on in their right mind would do a "sell job" on you to entice you to live here.

BUT - it's not that bad. Sometimes the bad news is more noticeable than the good.

In a lot of forums there will be posters that are not happy and cannot settle, a lot of the ones who do take to the life here just quietly settle in and integrate quietly, sometimes just disappearing.

This is a massive generalisation.:cute:

It is certainly a lot tougher financially than when we first arrived but now you have wonderful forums like this to research and gain support from.

You ain't on your own!!

Quality of life and a decent place to bring the kids up are the two main reasons why folk move here.

It's tough and takes a while to settle but when it's worth it,boy is it worth it!

Have a good dig around the forum,you'll find plenty of happy /settled quiet achiever stories.

Have a look at this thread quoted below as well :cute:

http://www.pomsinadelaide.com/forum/news-gossip/16040-all-who-have-settled-here.html

Good luck!!:D

We have to be honest........... moving to another country and leaving everything you know is a biggy!!! It's a life adventure........ and truly amazing....... but it also leaves you feeling lost at times and you do miss family and friends!!!

On a positive note..... we brought over three teenagers.... 13, 13 and 14 and also a 21 year old! Our kids have settled into High School...... and have made great friends - they love it here! We are completely shocked that the move for them especially has been so easy........ in fact in our first 6 months it was them who kept us positive! But we so worried about our eldest.... coping with such a change.... but she has got work......... made friends and loves life in Adelaide!

Sometimes there have been tears, sometimes frustration, sometimes anger.... but there has been lost of laughter, adventure and we have enjoyed the challenges!

For us...... we say it's an adventure..... we went into this with the idea that 'nothing ventured.. nothing gained'....... and we could go back to the UK if it doesnt work out - but for now we are doing good and have no regrets!

Hope this makes you feel better and brighter.......... and best of luck to you all!!!

O there are always some who will be down on this sort of move, others who will be all for it.

I figure you can only do what you feel is right for you as a family.

Tyke made some really good points I concur with wholeheartedly. It isn't an easy path to follow and it will be a struggle at times but if its something you really want and to give a go you'll do it.

Moving to any new country is a challenge. Australia/NZ maybe more so for Brits simply because of the distance from the UK.

Ask me if I think its worth taking the plunge? Yes I do. OK my hubby is an Aussie so for me the path is a little less tricky to navigate but I am still leaving the UK behind. Its been my home for a fair few years and I do for the most part love it here. Parts I loathe but there, nowhere is perfect. I know moving to Adelaide won't be easy but both hubby and I want to do this now. We want our son to grow up in Australia as we feel it will be a better life for us all in the long term. The short term might be tough but we know what is ahead of us and as we are both singing from the same song sheet I figure we'll manage. I like Adelaide, will fall in love with it if I am able to spend long enough there so am looking forward to finally getting the chance to continue my on hold love affair so to speak :D:)

Feel free to drop me a PM if you want to chat a bit more :)

Guest MutleyCrew

Hi Paula,

we were so excited when we got our CO but that same excitement has been slowly draining away since we have also been reading some threads as you highlight. We decided that we would do a little more research into the validity of some of the what appeared to be very negative issues and I'm afraid to say we are even more concerned than ever when we came across another site where even Aussies are saying exactly the same about the cost of living; astronomically expensive houses, astronomically expensive second hand cars, expensive utility bills, no jobs - especially for immigrants, expensive internet that is not that good, expensive cable that is also not very good, expensive food, expensive books, expensive clothes, very poor public schooling, expensive furniture, racism issues towards immigrants of all nationalities with even kids at school being bullied because their not Aussies, etc....etc....etc.... and they also go on to say that it is best to buy things of ebay, secondhand, just to make ends meet and that you need to really have a salary of at least $100,000 pa just to get buy and that's not even thinking about going out for meals etc!!!! :sad:

Just have a look at this site and read the lengthy thread re an article that was selling the virtues of oz and see the numerous comments saying all the above and how misleading and untrue the article is: Cost of Living in Australia

We are very confused and very unsure as to what to believe and more importantly what to do as we have our two boys to think about. :confused:

Can anyone pass any comment on the above points that we have gleaned from either threads on here or from our other research such as the thread above i.e. what is the true cost of living in OZ (SA) and what level of income do you really need for a family of 4 to have a reasonable standard of living?

All views/comments welcome as we need to try and ensure that our dream of moving to oz (SA) is realised and does not become a broken dream!!

Hrm.

I know a fair number of Aussies living in Adelaide. While most of them are feeling it in this recession none of them are complaining its as dire as that all sounds. If they were we'd even be considering our options a bit. However we are not ignoring there are problems in Aus and Adelaide and our vision is far from clouded where our move is concerned.

As for the schooling, I've been in touch with a few parents via forums whose children are in Aussie schools and have heard both sides of the coin, good and bad. TBH most of it has been good and helpful. And I feel a lot better about my son going to school over there now. I was almost dreading sending him over here with the choices on offer to us.

All I can say with regards to what some have said in reply to that article. I hear the same reasons given for people to want to leave the UK. Cost of living is high, house market is stuck at a ridiculous level and no one can afford to upsize or move atm, fuel really expensive, food bills high, wages low, job market crap, education going to pot and more.

Again, truthfully, I think if someone wants it enough they will give it a go. They'll do all their research and be well informed about the choices they are making and will be able to decide for themselves if its what they want based on everything they have read/researched etc. I don't think people on this forum cover up these things, maybe more they have adjusted and absorbed these things into their lives because they already are living there. For those of us still yet to go or looking into going its a concern but I figure you could sit all your life waiting for the perfect moment only for it never to arrive. How long do you wait for the situation to improve atm? A year, two, five or ten? UK or Aus, both are going to struggle for different reasons. Some will stick with what they know, others will take the plunge and go.

Erm yes. I'll shut up now :cute:

We are on a lot less than $100k combined salary, and still manage. Ok, we don't go mad but we have holidays, the kids are at a great school, we eat out about once a week and we eat pretty well at home. And I only work part time.

Don't forget that Australia is a HUGE country with lots of differences between the states. Adelaide I think is still one of the more affordable states in Australia, so you are better off reading what people living HERE say rather than looking at people's comments from all over Australia and thinking they apply to everywhere.

Everyone is different, and everyone has different expectations. Only you know what your likely housing budget will be, what you like to do in your spare time, whether you spend a lot on clothes etc. I hear about people's kids still in the UK who are the same age as mine are now, how they spend their time, what they get up to, what they consider normal, and have to admit I thank God mine are growing up here not there! And I came from a very nice part of the UK!!

No, it's not utopia, but where is? Anywhere perfect would soon get overcrowded and lose its perfectness. Come with an open mind, be prepared to embrace a new culture and a new way of life, and remember that one man's meat is another man's poison, one man's hell is another's idea of heaven! How do you know which side of the fence you will fall on if you don't give it a try?

This morning, I walked the dog in the park that is across the road to me. Clear blue skies, cool air (unseasonally so I admit!), galahs and correllas in the trees squawking at me, rosellas and parakeets swooping and squeaking, magpies carolling, the faint sound in the background of the loudspeaker anouncements from my kids' school athletics carnival (which my 16 year old daughter insisted on going in for, even though she is full of cold and rubbish at athletics, purely to support her friends as "that's what it's all about Mum") and compare it to how I used to be in the UK - getting home from the school run and either going back to bed because it was cold and dark, or having to go to work at a job I hated - I know where I'd rather be!

PS As regards Aussies posting about the job ituation for 'immigrants', most aussies here are not thinking of Poms when they say that word- Australia is a huge melting pot and often you will find they mean immigrants from other countries than Britain.

Guest MutleyCrew

Diane,

Your comments are very much appreciated and yes I agree that Oz is a very big place and that SA is somewhat cheaper than many of the other states but nonetheless We felt it important to at least research, explore and better understand the many issue, both good and bad, so that we and only we can make the final call on what the future will hold for us.

If we don't ask these things we don't get to know so thanks once again your thoughts are reassuring.

Personally I am finally noticing an upswing in jobs in Adelaide - came over at the height of the GFC and jobs were scarce on the ground and the news was fully of how migrants were stealing Ozzie jobs (I kid you not). Now finally I am seeing ads in the shops for help wanted (first time in nearly 3 years I have seen that), the organisation I am temping with is expanding wildly and they are advertising heaps of new positions. I think what may be colouring people's perceptions is that the $ pound exchange is no longer so much in favour of the pound and people are coming over with less but expecting to be able to achieve the same as when the pound was stronger.

Housing is expensive there is no ways about that but you can get an affordable rental whilst you sort yourself out and that doesnt mean stashing the family out in the deepest darkest countryside (unless that is where you choose to live). Like any move you dont know where the cheap shops are or how to save money - ask on the forum people will share their tips e.g. shopping at the farmers markets saves $ on fresh fruit and veg, know when markdowns happen and take advantage of it, buy basic toiletries at Cheap as Chips or reject store - parallel imports.

$100 000 per annum just to get by?? Well if that is what you have coming in of course you will spend it - however if you dont have that you adjust your budget accordingly. Shop when there are specials - there is always some store offering great deals know your prices and know when you are getting a good deal and be prepared to wait a week or so to get that deal. Expensive second hand cars - maybe - but there are also often deals going on new cars and there is an element of bargaining and playing one provider off against another.

Personally dont think the Ozzies resent the Brits more than any other race. You will get some who resent anyone who is not Australian, then anyone who is not South Australian, anyone who is not white Australian etc etc and some who just couldnt care less and take you as you come. I have met both and survived to tell the tale (my first house mate told me that they shouldnt let foreigners into Oz, my current workmates were thrilled for me when they heard I got PR even though I am only temping).

There are heaps of things which dont cost e.g. walking on the beach, BBQ's in the park, activities put on by the local councils so you dont have to pay for expensive entertainment for the family all the time.

If it is something you want to do then do it - if you are concerned whether you will settle then maybe dont burn your bridges.

One thing I have noticed with regard to jobs is that it is not always clear what level a job is and what the responsibilities are given the job description and title. So you may see a job advertised heaps of fancy blurb and big words in the ad but what they are really after is an office junior and the salary reflects that. A similar sounding ad may actually be for a far more senior role and a better salary. So get to know what your skills would command in Oz and apply for those jobs.

Guest Lisado

Hi there

There are always people who are negative, however, the positives outweigh these and yes some people are more fortunate than others.

On a personal note. I love it here. I managed to secure a job in the first week of arrival and have since changed jobs to what is now a senior managerial position for a government body and yes I am on a PR visa! My husband also secured an excellent job in forst 2 weeks of arrival.

They money I am paid is better than the UK but hubby's isnt - but it levies out

The people are accepting of English, etc but we have to understand we ar ein Australia and should abide by rules and regulations of this country and not think we are in Britain. Accept the food and the drinks and the culture and they Australians will accept you.

Embrace the culture. I have been on an Aboriginal Awareness course and had my eyes opened and I urge others to do the same. learn about the country we want to live in.

The whole lifestyle is simply perfect and I can never imagine living elsewhere.

Go with what you think and not others and at the end of the day its you who makes your own way in life not people on a forum

Good Luck, Lisa

Hi Paula

I too was getting fed up of reading all the negative posts and worried about bringing my wife and two teenage sons over. Fast forward almost two years and I sooo regret not having made the move sooner.

Yes some things are more expensive but some things are a hell of a lot cheaper also. It's funny how some people only comment on the negative things, "whinging poms anyone?"

The quality of life is also far better than what we had at home. Walks on the beaches, great views, not worrying when the kids are out and about in town on a night. In fact, we hardly every see the boys as they are out playing sports and with their many mates most nights and at weekends. Another bonus! (Only kidding boys).

We love it that much, and I speak for all the family here, that we sometimes feel guilty about not missing our friends and family as much as we feel we should do. I know that other people out here are tearing themselves in half, such is the pain of missing their family and friends, and that is the point. We can give as many positives (or negatives) as we like on here, but only you will know at the end of the day as to whether you have made the correct choice.

As I said at the outset, I know we have.

Good luck.

I think everyone is different and I personally feel it is down to your attitude and approach when you get here to starting a new life.

We have been here 4 years and both love it and would not want to return to the UK. When we emigrated my partner had never been to Australia before, he had worked for the same employer for 8 years in an IT role since leaving University but we both totally embraced building a new life here and he absolutely loves it here and is now in a more senior role than in the UK with better pay/perks and greater job satisfaction.

On the other hand we met a couple over here and the husband was a similar age to my partner had worked for the Government in IT since leaving school and they lasted 3 months out here, they could not adjust and cope with the change and he went back to his old job in England.

Two people, similar age, similar work history, experience and qualifications, yet two very different experiences.

It is not a bad thing to have realistic expectations rather than rose-tinted glasses.

I think the cost of living is higher, especially food, plus there are school fees and no NHS. We are a family of 4 with 2 cars and live modestly and spend approx per month $900 groceries, $50 gas, $170 electricity, $80 health insurance, $75 school fees (state school), $25 house insurance, $80 car insurance (2 cars), $125 rego (car tax), $120 phones and internet, $90 foxtel tv, $190 petrol - that's not including rent, going out, kids sporting activities, medical bills and we don't have to pay rates or water rates.

A few years ago things were much easier for immigrants, as houses were relatively a lot cheaper and the exchange rate was much much better. Things are much harder now. Houses are pretty expensive here at the moment, but the suburbs vary hugely in price. It is still possible to get a nice house for a reasonable price, although it will be further away from the city.

Despite the financial side of it being worse, the lifestyle is still here. The weather is great and you have all the facilities of a large city on your doorstep, plus beaches and hills nearby. There are so many activities that are easily within reach for most people - waterskiing, kitesurfing, mountain biking, sailing, fishing, golf etc. There are great opportunities for children to get involved in sports, the weather is so much better - you are not standing in muddy fields watching your kids play football in the freezing cold !! The Surf Club is great, on the beach all afternoon then back to the clubrooms after for a beer while the kids all play safely outside. There's lots on in Adelaide - in the last year we've been to the Tour Down Under cycle race, the Clipsal 500 V8 racing, the Fringe Festival, the cricket (Ashes), the football (Adelaide United), AFL footy (Port Power) - and that's all I can remember off the top of my head. Even if you haven't got a lot of spare cash you can still have a great lifestyle here.

Guest Lisado
Hi there

There are always people who are negative, however, the positives outweigh these and yes some people are more fortunate than others.

On a personal note. I love it here. I managed to secure a job in the first week of arrival and have since changed jobs to what is now a senior managerial position for a government body and yes I am on a PR visa! My husband also secured an excellent job in forst 2 weeks of arrival.

They money I am paid is better than the UK but hubby's isnt - but it levies out

The people are accepting of English, etc but we have to understand we ar ein Australia and should abide by rules and regulations of this country and not think we are in Britain. Accept the food and the drinks and the culture and they Australians will accept you.

Embrace the culture. I have been on an Aboriginal Awareness course and had my eyes opened and I urge others to do the same. learn about the country we want to live in.

The whole lifestyle is simply perfect and I can never imagine living elsewhere.

Go with what you think and not others and at the end of the day its you who makes your own way in life not people on a forum

Good Luck, Lisa

I'm away with the fairies - I meant I dont have PR - meaning govt jobs are out there for those on temporary visas!

I am of the belief that it has got little to do with the country you are emigrating to - far more important is the strength of the family unit (for those moving as a family - no slight to those moving over here alone intended).

We arrived over here four years ago. Having spent a year living here in the late 80's, I was fully aware of what I was coming to. She Who Must Be Obeyed and the three kids had no idea. The kids were all primary school age and started the year with the other kids so they didn't stand out too much. Oldest took a while to settle, middle one a lot shorter time and the youngest immediately.

What was apparent is that we could have lived in Iceland.....or Denmark.....or the US - it didn't matter where - we moved as a tight family unit and settled as a tight family unit. Plenty of hurdles, all faced head-on as a family.

The result is that the three boys would disown us if we ever suggested moving. All have a wide circle of friends and I stress, close, good friends.

Me and SWMBO are happy because they are happy - that's what it's all about really isn't it?.

Come over with your eyes wide open; enjoy everything this wonderful country throws at you and you wont go far wrong. We originally lived in London - nobody in their right mind could suggest we have made the wrong move.

The kids now have dual citizenship and can live/work in Oz or the UK when they grow up. We have managed to give them a golden passport.

Stay close and you will have a wonderful journey.

Some really good comments on this thread, and I do think that Tyke's admittedly generalisation of the care that must be taken about relying on forums is pertinent. I am currently really enjoying dipping into PIA but I have been AWOL for ages and can only spend time here that shouldn't be spent on my family or commitments, IYSWIM.

It just so happens that I have moved back to Australia with my husband who hails from Adelaide originally, and spent 10 years away. So we had (to some extent) a ready made social life to squeeze back into, and family support to eek out again!!! (They close up the gap, Snifter we can compare notes when you get here!!!!).

So that said, I tend to be on PIA when I need to ask about UK / Aus differences, queries about health system, looking for recommendations about this and that... and then I tend to hang around a bit and enjoy sharing with others and really do want to contribute to others' experiences with advice such as I have only 2 1/2 years in, to shorten someone else's learning curve.

I think anyone hanging around on forums complaining about all those financial things may well be a certain personality and have similar gripes anywhere. THere are some amazing people on this forum who have posted about how they are getting on here and have stayed despite the toughest times you could imagine anywhere, let alone thousands of miles away from "home" and our original comfort zone. That tells me there is something worth staying for, for those people.

So I reckon success depends on motives for coming. Running away isn't going to last long, you've got to want to make it work, got to expect hard times, and got to have the determination (and I totally agree, and have said something similar before, about having a strong family unit).

That said - we are poor here, and were poor in the UK. I'd rather be poor here. :)

School didn't work out for us here, but we have other options available and more choice than we did in the UK. We have chosen "other" but I am confident we had a lot to choose from if we'd stayed mainstream. And my nephew in UK is having worse school probs than we had here, so really I think country is irrelevant to some extent- globally education is struggling perhaps although the details may be different in different societies.

As for second hand cars being more expensive here -yes we bought a toyota tarrago (whatever the english equivalent is, can't remember - 7 seater) for about £600 for our 4 week holiday back in the UK and could hardly sell it for love nor money at the end of the trip. Got about £400 back from the same person we got it from. (worth it, far better than car hire!). Here that car'd have been much more. But here, cars are not written off with MOTs half as much as UK, from what I can tell they don't rust or degenerate in the same way because the climate is so different - so you can have a second hand car and it would be more reliable and more saleable. Cost makes sense to me in that regard.

Food is more expensive, clothes aren't as great and not as cheap... but that doesn't bother me and it's not a deal breaker because I want to be here and am happy to adjust my cooking / spending habits accordingly.

Drs cost me a bit this morning, ended up with a half hr consult, referral to a diagnostic place across the carpark for an ultrasound, back to the dr again... but hey, it was all over in 2 hrs, dr was great and didn't rush me out of the door, I paid the gap of $140 at the ultrasound place and $45 of the $100 or so of the dr's bill will come back to me. That's the public system and it served me extremely well this morning so I was happy to pay it. Got home in time to let Coles deliver my shopping...

Another thing worth saying, is that my parents didn't want us to move here (though from the minute we married they were waiting for the announcement I think!!!). But they visited (they'd been once and stayed with DH's parents 10 yrs ago and I think at that point knew the writing was on the wall). Once they visited us, saw our life, how we'd set up, what we were getting for our rent payments, what freedom the children have etc... they have continually told us since then that we are in the right place. So that has taken courage for them to accept the positives but they know we are better off here, however sad they are.

Well done if you get to the end of this. Longer than I intended but it's my twopennorth. You need to see it for yourself, if you do it or don't do it on the back of online say-so from others, you could make a mistake.

Guest kangomik

read negative be negative read positive be positive. There will not be many on $100K dual income in their first few years, yet we see them all buying new houses and having a ball. If you earn good money in the UK, have a great lifestyle with everything you want then don't be greedy....... stay. If you famcy an adventure, and a better life for the kids and IMO more opportunitys then you have nothing to loose. As a previous poster said, it is more about the family unit than the country.

Guest MutleyCrew

Thanks to all who have posted on this thread we have found it really helpful and useful as the many thoughts and comments are both reassuring, thought provoking and most importantly matter of fact. :notworthy:

What this post has done for us is to jolt us back on track. We agree that it is about attitude, having a strong family unit and a better quality of life and throughout the process we have always prided ourselves with being strong even when at times our plans had been questioned by close family and friends.

On reflection I think we have had what could technically be termed a 'wobbly'!! I think it is understandable in some ways, but we allowed the negatives to take centre stage and didn’t maintain the balanced view that we have been so good at thus far! It is also in part, we think, down to the fact that our plans are getting closer and closer to reality and thus the apprehensions and concerns are also creeping in along with what has been great excitement and enthusiasm to achieve our aim of moving to Oz.

Having read the posts again, slept on it, woken with a clearer and more objective head and having read the all the latest posts on this thread it has made us realise that yes it is a GARGANTUAN step, yet at the same time our original reasons for making the move haven’t changed and are still, in our opinions, the right reasons to allow us to realise a better quality/standard of life and to provide better and improved opportunities for our x2 children.

As many have said it is absolutely right that to make it work you’ve got to want it and you need to embrace it wholeheartedly. That is exactly what we have always intended to do and now that we are back on the right track, that is exactly what we will be doing thanks to you all!! SA here we come!!! :jiggy:

Guest andy1865
Thanks to all who have posted on this thread we have found it really helpful and useful as the many thoughts and comments are both reassuring, thought provoking and most importantly matter of fact. :notworthy:

What this post has done for us is to jolt us back on track. We agree that it is about attitude, having a strong family unit and a better quality of life and throughout the process we have always prided ourselves with being strong even when at times our plans had been questioned by close family and friends.

On reflection I think we have had what could technically be termed a 'wobbly'!! I think it is understandable in some ways, but we allowed the negatives to take centre stage and didn’t maintain the balanced view that we have been so good at thus far! It is also in part, we think, down to the fact that our plans are getting closer and closer to reality and thus the apprehensions and concerns are also creeping in along with what has been great excitement and enthusiasm to achieve our aim of moving to Oz.

Having read the posts again, slept on it, woken with a clearer and more objective head and having read the all the latest posts on this thread it has made us realise that yes it is a GARGANTUAN step, yet at the same time our original reasons for making the move haven’t changed and are still, in our opinions, the right reasons to allow us to realise a better quality/standard of life and to provide better and improved opportunities for our x2 children.

As many have said it is absolutely right that to make it work you’ve got to want it and you need to embrace it wholeheartedly. That is exactly what we have always intended to do and now that we are back on the right track, that is exactly what we will be doing thanks to you all!! SA here we come!!! :jiggy:

Hi just read through all the posts and to be honest this country can go nowhere but down now and the prospects for our kids is bleak so we are looking forward to getting out of here, we are just waiting for the medical results then hope to go this year, i would much rather be not so well off over there than struggle here, i do think it's where you live that makes a big difference as we have an estate behind us and have to put up with all the chavs and there language and don't even think about venturing out when its dark but if you live in a nice area of the uk then it's the risk you have to take, all i want to do is try and if it fails then so be it but i wouldn't want to get to old then regret not having a go.

Good luck with it all and keep the post going so we all know the outcome.

Andy

Guest Paula H

Hi everyone....

A HUGE thank you to each and everyone of you who kindly took the time to post some very valuable information for me and other people.

I feel soooo much better now reading finally some positive things on here. My one concern is that my OH (Carpenter) will have trouble getting work but that is something we will tackle as and when needed. We have 3 children and are a very close family, my mum and dad will also try and get out on a retirement visa, we are prepared to work hard, obey how the aussies live and embrace their culture and lifestyle.

Now for the long wait on the 175 visa grrrr

Yay for you!!!!!! Good to have had such a varied response dealing with lots of different aspects of people moving here, and don't worry about the wobbly! I think that bravado is dangerous anyway, it can cause people to kid themselves and struggle later on. Far better to share your feelings, be honest about how you are feeling and sort it out before it becomes some sort of scary massive thing that will one day bring everything down like a house of cards!

i've had wobblies since I've been here, even DH has, returning to his home city, but we've faced them, shared it with friends, and are stronger as a result.

Wishing you all the best, and glad you have renewed determination!! xxx

eta: was originially replying to Mutley Crew but my post ended up underneath yours Paula. Glad you are also looking forward to throwing yourselves in and making it work. xxxx

Guest Squareman

I have lived in Adelaide for a month now and I absolutely love it. Although I am technically South Africa through citizenship, I was born in Scotland I speak with a scottish accent. I have yet to encounter any anti-British sentiment. The company I work for is owned by South Aussies and they have hired me as well as someone from the UK. The Aussies are wonderfully friendly people.

Guest Paula H
I have lived in Adelaide for a month now and I absolutely love it. Although I am technically South Africa through citizenship, I was born in Scotland I speak with a scottish accent. I have yet to encounter any anti-British sentiment. The company I work for is owned by South Aussies and they have hired me as well as someone from the UK. The Aussies are wonderfully friendly people.

An electrician who works with my OH told him that when he worked in oz he was given all the rubbish jobs and the Aussies took the Mick out of him. We don't believe much he was saying cause he is currently trying to get back out there but it does plant a very small seed along with all the other negative thoughts.

Thanks again for positive thoughts keep them coming xx