Take it or Leave it??

Guest Thorpes

Guest Thorpes

I know this probably sounds a dumb thing to be thinking about so soon but I have a thousand things running through my mind..................I watched WDU this morning (taped it on seried link as it is on at 2.55am) Apparently you can kit out a house for about $15000 (top end) once you get there so I was wondering if it was really worth taking you stuff. I have seen some others talking about crates and half crates but am not sure how much you can get in and how much it costs. Unfortunately we have just done up our house and so have brought several new items, American fridge, leather suite, plasma TV and dining room table and chairs. All literally 6 months old. Anyone looked into it and made any decisions. I'm not really bothered about the kids stuff, except their new bikes as it can all be replaced. What about things like saucepans, crockery, cuttlery etc.

Cheers

Karen x

Guest Jane.Mason

Hi Karen

We haven't gone yet but had a removal broker round. We too have done the house up and bought several new items. We do have a few items he suggested we should sell before we move. These included the Plasma Tv as evidently thet're not insured for travel and something happens to the plasma so may not work when they get there. Also our American fridge he suggested we didn't take as it would have to work overtime as the thermastat is for colder climes so in the long run would burn out quickly, wicker and wood items are another fave for the customs and excise and must be fully treated and declared and hopefully near the dorr for checking.

Hope this helps a bit

Jane

Guest graandjac

hi karen from what i have been told if you take your tv s the way they recieve the signal is different so they dont work unless you have them changed inside which is costly

hope this helps a little :D

graham and jac

Guest donna T

Hi Karen

We decided to take pretty much everything although I have to be honest - our everything is not worth that much :D

The TV will be okay for the kids videos though. Most of stuff is donated 'next sizes up' stuff for the children along with a hundred boxes of photos and letters - ridiculous really!!

We apparantly have too much stuff for a 20ft container so are having to send a 20 footer first plus a shared part a bit later - Christmas will come twice more this year!

Guest betty22

Hi,

I would say if youve got it bring it. You can get a lot in a 20ft container.

Yes you can furnish a house for about $15000 (basically) but its all the little bits and pieces. Take a look at your kitchen cupboards, and linen cupboards etc.

You will be surprised at how much stuff you have. We brought most things but still had to buy quite a bit lounge suites, dining tables etc.

Also the houses are bigger here, we have 2 lounges and 2 dining rooms so that needed furnishing.

UK tvs are a bit hit and miss but we just bought a cheap oz video and it works ok.

Liz

Guest Rachael
Hi Karen

We haven't gone yet but had a removal broker round. We too have done the house up and bought several new items. We do have a few items he suggested we should sell before we move. These included the Plasma Tv as evidently thet're not insured for travel and something happens to the plasma so may not work when they get there. Also our American fridge he suggested we didn't take as it would have to work overtime as the thermastat is for colder climes so in the long run would burn out quickly, wicker and wood items are another fave for the customs and excise and must be fully treated and declared and hopefully near the dorr for checking.

Hope this helps a bit

Jane

Hi Jane

Can you explain a little bit more about taking 'wood' items over. I was hoping to take my dining table and some other wood furniture. what do you know about this? it sounds as if this is not as easy as I thought.

Rachael.

Guest dglamoore

Hi Rachael

As long as the wood is treated there will be no problem. They are more interested in wicker and untreated wood or anything that may have bugs in :shock:

If you are unsure there is more info on the AQIS site here - http://www.affa.gov.au/content/output.cfm?ObjectID=3E48F86-AA1A-11A1-B6300060B0AA00014

Lots of info to trawl through :lol: We worried at first as we have loads of wooden sculptues from thailand and bali and heavy wooden furniture but after 6 shippers in they have all said they would be no problem at all with customs.

Lisa

Guest Guest75

We brought as much as we could cram into a 20ft container (apart from TV's)

We still have a lot of the stuff after seven years.

$15000 would only basically fir out a house.

Guest dglamoore
Thanks Lisa

You definitely are the emigration expert. Wishing you every success in Adelaide.

Rachael.

:oops: :oops: nah just have an obsessive personality and tend to go overboard with the research :lol: :lol:

I know what it is like trying to find stuff out so always try and pass on bits I have found out!

Lisa :D