We will also be (hopefully) coming out to Adelaide in a few months...... It's happening very quickly - we decided this would finally be the year we would at least look into it (almost as a New Years resolution......) 3 months and one phone interview later here we are. I've got a job offer in my inbox and we're getting the ball rolling!
Getting very excited but also need to bottom out a few things..... Hoping you guys can help with some unashamedly naive newbie queries..?
1. Nasties. A friend of ours has visited Oz a few times (not too sure which city, she's my wife's friend and they don't seem to "do" name places) anyway she says she can't let her little one play in the back garden unattended through fear of snakes. But another friend of mine who's lived in Sydney for 6 years says he's never seen one, and to just check underneath garden toys each morning for any hiding (don't leave shoes out for spiders etc...)
Don't laugh - but will we be able to let the kids (ages 2 and 5) run around the garden without constantly watching their every move? I said don't laugh!
2. Commuting. My wife doesn't drive, and the small UK city where we live now has an excellent bus system - she knows the buses inside/out and can get around quicker than me and my car can - and that's with a pushchair too! Question is.... are the outer suburbs well linked into the city by public transport? It may be pie in the sky but we were hoping for somewhere within walking distance of a school, bus stop, shops etc... My point is, in some cities "you just need a car" - is Adelaide one of them?
3. Schools. When does the school year/term start? We've heard you start school the term after you turn 5, can anyone let me know any dates? We would try to coincide arriving with a new term if poss.
4. Live music. For some people it's footy, for others it's theater - for me, it's live music. My UK town has a few decent music bars dotted about..... I've been told Adelaide has a reasonably half-decent music scene. Anyone want to comment?
5. Teaching. My very lovely wife is a Primary School teacher. Whilst she won't need to work initially - she may want to long term (she loves teaching, it's in the blood!) - are there any teachers on here that can comment on doing supply teaching etc in Adelaide? Is it easy to do, and in demand at all?
Hope you guys can help - with any luck we'll be making the move and in a little while I can return the favour to another nervous newbie a year or so behind us!
I'm always thrilled when I see on here just how much time you give and care you take to respond to people's posts - thanks all.