West Yorkshire-South Australia

Guest charlie&donna

Guest charlie&donna

Hi,

just a very short introduction about us;

I'm originally from Plymouth, Devon and Donna is from Ballymena, Northern Ireland. Yet, for the time being, we're living in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

I visited Adelaide for six weeks way back in 1988 and fell in love with the whole lifestyle back then. Donna and I are both flexible in our approach to life, in terms that we realised long ago that home is where the family is most happy and with no particular ties to anywhere we want to lay roots somewhere new.

With all that in mind, and having family already in Adelaide, it seems to fit positively with how we wish to live our lives. However, we are realists, and know that you dont get things handed to you on a plate, and if you want something, then you have to work for it.

Sites like this are great for people like me, who tend to be highly anal when it comes to organisation and planning (to the chagrin of Donna). I've already taught my kids the values of the 7 P's (Prior Planning and Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance).

However, one of the problems I have encountered is that there doesnt seem to be anything which says Step 1, Step 2 etc. And knowing where to start is proving to be a bit of a mind field lol.

Hopefully will find what I need to get started within these threads, however if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would ACE!

And thats just about it for us for now.

Cheers

Charlie.

PS. I also realise that despite being highly anal and organised it should read "West Yorkshire-South Australia" Doh!

Hi,

just a very short introduction about us;

I'm originally from Plymouth, Devon and Donna is from Ballymena, Northern Ireland. Yet, for the time being, we're living in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

I visited Adelaide for six weeks way back in 1988 and fell in love with the whole lifestyle back then. Donna and I are both flexible in our approach to life, in terms that we realised long ago that home is where the family is most happy and with no particular ties to anywhere we want to lay roots somewhere new.

With all that in mind, and having family already in Adelaide, it seems to fit positively with how we wish to live our lives. However, we are realists, and know that you dont get things handed to you on a plate, and if you want something, then you have to work for it.

Sites like this are great for people like me, who tend to be highly anal when it comes to organisation and planning (to the chagrin of Donna). I've already taught my kids the values of the 7 P's (Prior Planning and Proper Preparation Prevents Poor Performance).

However, one of the problems I have encountered is that there doesnt seem to be anything which says Step 1, Step 2 etc. And knowing where to start is proving to be a bit of a mind field lol.

Hopefully will find what I need to get started within these threads, however if anyone can point me in the right direction, that would ACE!

And thats just about it for us for now.

Cheers

Charlie.

PS. I also realise that despite being highly anal and organised it should read "West Yorkshire-South Australia" Doh!

Hi guys and a big welcome to the forum....

Ask ask ask is the way to go when your starting off....it may well be worth getting in touch with a couple of agents just for a bit of starting off advice...

But i reckon everything you should need to know can possibly be found out withinh the forum...they're a very knowledgable bunch on here....

Fistly really you will have to check out which VISA's your eligible for....that can be found on the DIAC website...or again your first free consultation with an agent will pssibly help you out in this.

There are a couple of agent who frequent the forum

George Lombard

Go Matilda

just have a google for these guys and then drop them an email.

Hope this helps to get you started.

HG

Guest karyn

Hi Charlie and Donna.

I am originally from Edinburgh, but lived in Leeds for 5 years before moving to Adelaide last October!!

Although I miss Leeds a lot, I absolutely love being by the ocean (not missing the drive to Whitby and Scarborough)! Adelaide is a great city!

I moved here with my husband who is Aussie and he lived in Adelaide for 4 years before going overseas! I guess in that respect the move was a bit easier for me given that he already knows th city and has friends here. Also, I wasn't bringing kids with me either.

I came on a spose visa, so can't really help you with what visa you should come on, but I can recommend Dr Million in Manchester for the medicals! Bit old school, but really nice guy!

Hope it all comes together for you and you can head over soon!

Good luck

Karyn x

Guest The Standalofts

Hi Charlie & Donna

We have not been on this site for long but have found it a goldmine of information, its worth searching older posts for info, and everyone is always very helpful with any questions that are posted.

Good luck getting the ball rolling, I hope everything works out for you, its all very exciting!

Lesley & Jimmy

Guest Daisy Duke

Hi Charlie and Donna,

We are about to make the move - a week tomorrow to be precise, and I couldn't recommend this site enough.

People on here really are a great source of info. Whenever a question pops into your head, just post it on here and gauranteed someone will know the answer or at least be able to inform you of websites etc.

There are a few different ways to get over, various visas etc and I think it really all depends on your personal circumstances. My partner and I are going on a 457 visa (temp 2 yr), but we can apply for PR if we like it - I am sure we will....

I have a job offer but my partner has also just been offered an interview for when we get there, which is great news.

Also, don't be put off by all the 'red tape', it's part and parcel of the process. I will say though, when looking for info, just stick to what you need to know at that time or you will be in danger of overloading yourself with info, and will prob end up feeling like you want to stick your head in the fridge!

Good luck.

Hi, as in the other posts this site is great for getting all the info you need. We used Ian Harrop as our agent to get our PR visa and they were absolutely great. As daisy duke says to get too overloaded with the info it can get a bit crazy with all the paperwork etc. We aren't to far away from you we live in Halifax and make the move 4 weeks today.

Good Luck

Andrew

Guest charlie&donna

I can see all obstacles in my way......

Cheers fella's,

very encouraging. Have been sat in the conservatory all day, loaded up on Dr.Pepper and have managed to get my head round it all. Have managed to break it down into 5 steps and now know what we need to be doing and when!

I have quite a number of cousins who went under the ten pound pom route many years ago nearly all are based or have at some stage lived, in Adelaide so have a really good source of local info.

One of the areas which has been recommended to us is Craigmore/Elizabeth area. They used to live in Para Hills so they are quite used to the Northern edges of Adelaide, does any else here have any experience in these areas?

I've around 80+ questions I have put on a spreadsheet with a column at the side for answers as I find them (I did say I was very anal when it came to being organised lol) so will hopefully fill most of them through this site!

Once again thanks again for the warm welcome and will bring a suit case full of Walkers, Seabrooks, Galaxy, Kit Kats and assorted BMI Busters with me!

Cheers

Charlie & Donna

Guest Guest75

Hiya

Welcome to the forum:D

Just thought I'd say hello as I'm from Leeds originally ,Pudsey to be exact.

It a bit different here I can tell you!

Have a really good look around the forum and the older posts,it's a huge mine of info and opinion.

I've edited the title for you BTW :cute:

Hi Guys, we are from Bradford originally. We chose Adelaide for a number of reasons, however one, highly influential one was that I had some family members already here. I would say, don't let that influence your decision on location to a large degree, if you want to take a look at other states, do so. Unless of course, you are very close to your family here.

Elizabeth and Salisbury areas were both areas that a lot of the 10 pound poms went to years ago to settle. Both are north of the city, near to the Barossa Valley, but not that close to the beach, depends what you are looking for.

Guest charlie&donna

Thanks Tyke and Foxychick,

Used to live in Undercliffe and have lived over the road from Thornbury Barracks in Pudsey since 1999.

Know what you mean about families, have looked at other states, but think the transition will be easier for the kids if they have relatives to play with. Also I really liked Adelaide when I was there.

Cheers

C&D