where do i start?

Guest ozfish

Guest ozfish

:chatterbox:

We have finally decided to take the plunge and make the move down under!

but don't know what to do next...migration agent or do it alone????

I am a midwife with 15 years under my belt and am worried if i do it myself might miss something vital...but don't want to be paying out unnecessarily for an agent whos going to do the same job!

Any advice??:arghh:

Guest Guest6899
:chatterbox:

We have finally decided to take the plunge and make the move down under!

but don't know what to do next...migration agent or do it alone????

I am a midwife with 15 years under my belt and am worried if i do it myself might miss something vital...but don't want to be paying out unnecessarily for an agent whos going to do the same job!

Any advice??:arghh:

Hi, you have to decided which visa perment resident or employer?? beware changes are a foot very soon and you may need to decide very quickly. I read that SA are not taking new applications for SS in May due to the new point system coming in June/July. I dont have any experience of an employer sponsored only PR. We payed an agent to do the Skills ass (but think could have done that ourselves with the ANMC) and the main visa. To be honest im glad we did as its nice just getting a mail telling what to do and when but i know many others have done it without an agent. Im willing to pay to have piece of mind that its all ok.

There are plenty of people on here who can advise.

Lisa :D

Hi, we researched and have did it alone and what we could not answer on our own someone on the forum was always willing to help and could answer our queries directly or pointed us in the right direction. Personaly i thought having an agent would be more of a worry. Whats to say they are trying there best and or dont miss something themselfs. If its a straight forward application and you know where to get your proffesion recognised, research the state sponsorship application, and research the visa application so you know what documents are required and what answers you need in advance its really not that hard. If its a complicated application due to an obscure profesion or high age then an agent would be advisable. From my point of view it was not needed and money well saved.

Good luck.

Hi, not being brill with paperwork we used an agent, Ian Harrop. They were fantastic and they tell you what to fill in etc. They are another cost to think of, but we are glad we used an agent. Don't quite know why, but it only took 8mths to get the visa from start to finish, some people on here lodged their apps in 2008 and are still waiting.

Anyway good luck!

Andrew

Guest difflock13

hi im in the same boat as ozfish

ive been reading websites and forums

and its all a bit daunting some people find it a doddle then some find it a nightmare

but one thing you do see is that no one gives up however long it takes

Guest Viksta

Hi!

We have just started the whole process too and just joined on here!!

We are also using Ian Harrop as he was recomended to us and can't fault him yet, he gives a lot of advice out without taking any money from you. I am a teacher and did my own skills assessment so Ian has knocked money off the final price. i know people that have used agents and others that have done it by themselves! I always like a 'comfort blanket' so like having the agent to ask questions! But the people I know that have gone it alone found it very easy!

A friend of mine is a mental health nurse and had to take the Academic IELTS test so I'm guessing its the same for Midwives (have you done this already?) It can take about 2 weeks from booking to taking it and then takes 2 weeks for the results, not sure bout the skills assessment part?

Hope some of this is helpful???

Good luck with what ever route you choose!!

hi im in the same boat as ozfish

ive been reading websites and forums

and its all a bit daunting some people find it a doddle then some find it a nightmare

but one thing you do see is that no one gives up however long it takes

The paperwork is easy, the constant changes by DIAC and ocupations getting shifted around to diferent catagories is the nightmare bit. You can plan for the paperwork and have all of the answers when they are required. With SS and DIAC you are in the hands of the gods and thats why some applications take ages and is the stresfull bit. No agents can help with that.

You are right though, if you dont give up you will get there baring a major problem like medicals/police clearence, ect.

Lots use agents and are glad they did. Others, like us, didn't use one and are glad we saved the money - really is a personal choice based on how confident you are with the paperwork and process, how complicated you think your circumstances are, whether you can spare the money etc.

Personally, we found it easy doing it ourselves, that is, once the initial confusion of visa categories etc wore off. For many, doing the skills assessment is the most troublesome part; once that's done, it's fairly straightforward form filling and uploading supporting documents.

I wouldn't worry too much about 'missing something vital' - if you do it's likely that your case officer will ask you for it.

Good luck either way.

Jim

Guest ozfish

thanks for all the advice. I fancy doing it ourselves , i don't think we have anything complicated. We were thinking of a 176 state sponsored visa. How do i go about state sponsorship??

Guest Guest6899
thanks for all the advice. I fancy doing it ourselves , i don't think we have anything complicated. We were thinking of a 176 state sponsored visa. How do i go about state sponsorship??

Hi, You need to sit your ielts and get your skills confirmed before you can apply for SS, this will take too long before SA stop accepting new applications for SS. I believe you are a nurse?? Ielts is academic & you need to get 7 and above in all sections then the ANMC can assess your skills. Once you have these two the online application is very easy. Have a look at::: http://www.migration.sa.gov.au/sa/immigrate_from_overseas/visa_options/gen_skill3/criteria_for_state_spons.jsp

Regards Lisa

Guest Viksta

Hi from 1st of july i've been been told you will need 8 and above in the IELTS but that may just be in the general? you may wanna check that out though?

good luck

vik