Snakes vs Toddlers!!!

Guest Froglets

Guest Froglets

Hi - The Froglets here. :eek: Arriving in June and really looking forward to arriving.

:jimlad:We have a little boy who will be 2 a few days after we arrive. He is such a busy little bee and into everything. Have just been doing some research on snakes and I am shocked about how may differet types there are in SA. Has anyone got any advise as the one thing my little boy likes, is to be in the garden and I am sure that if he sees a snake that he will try to catch it. Are they all venemous or am I being a bit dramatic? Hope someone has a few tips.

Cheers :err:

In 38 years living in oz I've seen snakes 3 times in my garden. The first one was when I was 14, and ripping out a bush for my mum. It took off straight between my feet, I think it was more scared than I was.

The second one took off as well as soon as it knew I was there. The third couldn't run as my cat had it by the back of the neck. :arghh: The cat was bitten but survived due to a $600+ vet bill.:err:

Lots more kids are bitten by the family dog than by snakes. If you have a dog they tend to keep the snakes away from the areas where the humans are, but sometimes take on the biting duties.

Hi there,

we have been here 4 years and I have yet to see one.

They say that all gardens have them if you look!

I have a house that is totally paved and another that has a really established garden...but still no sign of them. My OH was a firefighter for years and saw loads of them in the bush. There was often calls for assistance when they made their way into houses but to be honest it's really rare.

Spiders are a bigger worry!

Tamara

Guest Jo&Phil

I've lived here for 8 years and have yet to see a snake despite having a very 'woodland' garden (ie: one that needs a bit of clearing up!)

I wouldn't worry too much; if you take appropriate precautions re clearing debris etc and keep screen doors closed I'm sure you'll be able to relax and let your little boy enjoy being outside.

Guest Squareman

Forger the snakes, its the dingo's you need to worry about. They wont go for

an adult but a toddler is fair game. SA is hoaching with them but because they are our 'national man-eater', we arent allowed to say boo to them. Thank goodness my nipper is older and doesnt mind wearing his 'anti-dingo' aborigonal necklace

Forger the snakes, its the dingo's you need to worry about. They wont go for

an adult but a toddler is fair game. SA is hoaching with them but because they are our 'national man-eater', we arent allowed to say boo to them. Thank goodness my nipper is older and doesnt mind wearing his 'anti-dingo' aborigonal necklace

When did a dingo attack anyone in SA? Why on earth do the papers have warnings about snakes every year but yet I have never read one about dingos?

As you are an avid 'tiser reader please show me a link to a story about dingos attacking toddlers? And dont mention the case dingo baby case!

Maybe Glenelg is not a safe place to live for toddlers?

Guest Guest5035
Your wife still thinks the same, hence sending you to the garden all the time.....

Did the dingos get your kids and not the snakes BTW?

I'd rather take a chance in the garden than the house, but the trouble is those bloody dingos in Wynn Vale are real shockers, i have now bought 2 brown snakes to act as deterrents;)

stevo

On the subject of dingo's.

this is good for a laugh!

Tamara

Can we all please stop all the frivolity, this is a serious matter, Mr Squareman is worried dingoes (or a dingo at least) could attack his child. So much so he has bought something to help prevent such attacks.

Me, Stevo and Tamara should be ashamed of ourselves at trivialising such matters.

Me daft? I don't think so.

I take great offence at your comments towards me. A public apology is required.

Those that know me, know I am in fact a serious, intelligent person.

Your post was not mickey taking its obvious by the way you wrote it, backtracking now is not going to get help you on this one. Anyhow South Africans are like Yorkishiremen, well known for not having a sense of humour, so you coudn't have been joking.

Hi - The Froglets here. :eek: Arriving in June and really looking forward to arriving.

:jimlad:We have a little boy who will be 2 a few days after we arrive. He is such a busy little bee and into everything. Have just been doing some research on snakes and I am shocked about how may differet types there are in SA. Has anyone got any advise as the one thing my little boy likes, is to be in the garden and I am sure that if he sees a snake that he will try to catch it. Are they all venemous or am I being a bit dramatic? Hope someone has a few tips.

Cheers :err:

Depends where you live. They more rural, the more likely you are to get them. We live in Sellicks beach and they are around here but we have not seen one yet.

I'd say spiders are more of a problem but none of us have been bitten in 18 months.

I'd say don't worry about it.

Cooler

Guest Squareman

So my son really wears an anti-dingo necklace!? And the dingo is our 'national maneater!?' Bwahahaha! Keep digging that hole for yourself! You keep coming on here, getting owned and making an arse of yourself