G'day!!

Guest AceOfSpades

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi all ;), what can I say........just joined today, please break me in gently!!!!!

We are hoping to be sharing Adelaide with you, beginning of 2012!!

Here's abit about us..........

I work in Finance and My husband is a Brickie.

We are a family of 6 - 2 girls (4 years),(3 weeks old) & 2 dogs.

We are eagerly awaiting on our Medical requests & preparing for our move downunder!

Just got our quotes back for pet shipping & removals this week - WOW now need a few Gee & Tee's!

Hope you are all ok & look forward to getting to know you all! :jiggy:

Guest The Standalofts

Hello - Hope everthing goes smoothly for you.

I have not used this site for long, but have found it a gold mine of information.

Lesley

Guest AceOfSpades

Thanks MeJulie, not sure about being well organised but with having a 3 week old baby I have to start doing things when I think of them. Just very eager obviously!! 6 weeks wow, bet your sooo excited! xx

Guest AceOfSpades

Thanks Lesley, starting to find my way around it a little, being a PIA virgin and that. Looks like many people use it and gain some good positive feedback from it! Good luck with your sale! xx

HI also a brickie in Bradford West yorks.

We fly out on the 4 th of Sept.

I know what you mean about the shipping costs, I have just had aquote from a company based in Leeds and Wolverhampton and they have just trimmed £500 off the our previous quote and said they maybe can go a little lower depends on how much packing there is.

They are called atlantis.

Good luck with the move.

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi Trevor, Nice to have another northern brickie on board!

Maybe worth a try there's a company in Chesterfield called Elite Shipping who have just beaten 4 other quotes we have received, details below.

Elite Shipping Limited International Shipping & Air Freight

Unit One, Clarence Industrial Estate, Eastside Road,

Whittington Moor, Chesterfield, Derbyshire S41 9AT

Tel. +44 (0) 1246 451231

Fax. +44 (0) 1246 451870

http://www.eliteshipping.co.uk/Email: enquiries@eliteshipping.co.uk

I will give Atlantis a try though, thanks. Hope all goes well for you & yours!

Guest AceOfSpades

Hi Kimbo, thanks for your reply! Gosh you have not long too wait now! What breed are your dogs?

Do you mind me asking which company you have used to ship them??? I contacted AirPets last week and have come back with about £5K + there's the quarantine for 2 dogs (roughly £1600) = PRICELESS & SPEECHLESS!!!! As there are the other costs involved for blood tests etc.. I just couldn't leave them behind - A dog is for life and all that! xx

Hi Kimbo, thanks for your reply! Gosh you have not long too wait now! What breed are your dogs?

Do you mind me asking which company you have used to ship them??? I contacted AirPets last week and have come back with about £5K + there's the quarantine for 2 dogs (roughly £1600) = PRICELESS & SPEECHLESS!!!! As there are the other costs involved for blood tests etc.. I just couldn't leave them behind - A dog is for life and all that! xx

Hi

We've got 2 Border Terriers (luckily both on the small side!). We're using Golden Arrow based in Shropshire, we had quotes from Airpets plus other companies too (yep my chin was on the floor as well:shocked:), but with Golden Arrow being quite close to us we went with them, they did get some good recommendations on here too. We're paying £2400, quarantine and blood tests on top. No way we would leave our two behind either. What dogs have you got? I know price does go on size, as I said I'm lucky that are two are on the small side.

Kim :D

Guest AceOfSpades

Kim, aww we have 2 border collies which are a little bigger. I've not contacted Golden Arrow yet - our friends moved to Perth 5 years ago and they used Airpets so just went on recommendation really. Leaving them behind for us is just not an option either, they are like 2 additional children in our family. I just hope that they don't find it too traumatic experience and the 30 day quarantine passes just as quickly for them as for us. Its going to be hard enough not having them with us for that period of time! So hows the whole planning going? I bet as ime draws nearer now you have visas its all systems go! What do you do? x

I'm feeling quite calm at the moment, I've secured a place for my youngest at Port Noarlunga school and have secured a place for my eldest at a high school (but am looking at others). I have removals coming out to give us quotes and am currently dejunking my home (oh crikey I didn't realise how much stuff we've accumulated over the years). Trying to get my OH to help decide what we're taking and what we're not is an achievement in itself :goofy:

I'm not looking forward to the day we take the dogs over to the kennels ready for them to go. They fly the day after us.

I have so many lists I could wallpaper the house with them :biglaugh: Other than that all is good!!! You seem quite organised already.

Kim

Guest libbysmum

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the forum, I've recently moved over to PIA from poms in oz, it has been a wealth of information!

Our house in on the market ready to make the move, but sadly for us we have had to rehome 2 of our 3 dogs, the cost was just extortionate, luckily they have gone to friends so are happy that they will be well looked after, although our old girl a 10 year old crossbreed (fit as a fiddle mind you) is coming with us. Just an idea of costs, she weighs 25kg and is the sort of smallish labrador size and all in the cheapest quote we could get for her is going to be around £3000, it would have been another £3000 for our middle dog and at least £4000 for our youngest dog, he was very big and at 8 months was still growing. My best quote so far has been with passportforpets, although I have yet to contact Golden arrow, as they are telephone based, you can't submit an online quote.

Hope this helps

Sarah

Hi

Welcome, although I've only just joined I am sure finding this site very useful. We had our medicals on the 31st March and like you we have two dogs as well as two kids that will be coming with us. (one wants to stay behind). All we can do is wait, but I'm sure it will be worth it in the end.

I know that our lives will change for the good, can't wait to get going really. But leaving lots of family behind and friends will be tough for us all. But knowing that there are thousands of people in Oz (and on this website) that have been through the same thing, will be a great strength I am sure. Good luck. Russell

Just wanted to say Hi and welcome to the forum, I've recently moved over to PIA from poms in oz, it has been a wealth of information!

Our house in on the market ready to make the move, but sadly for us we have had to rehome 2 of our 3 dogs, the cost was just extortionate, luckily they have gone to friends so are happy that they will be well looked after, although our old girl a 10 year old crossbreed (fit as a fiddle mind you) is coming with us. Just an idea of costs, she weighs 25kg and is the sort of smallish labrador size and all in the cheapest quote we could get for her is going to be around £3000, it would have been another £3000 for our middle dog and at least £4000 for our youngest dog, he was very big and at 8 months was still growing. My best quote so far has been with passportforpets, although I have yet to contact Golden arrow, as they are telephone based, you can't submit an online quote.

Hope this helps

Sarah

I moved from PIO too, people much nicer on this site :D

Julie

Guest Opportunities
Hello - Hope everthing goes smoothly for you.

I have not used this site for long, but have found it a gold mine of information.

Lesley

Hi Lesley,

My OH is also a welder. Not sure how your breaking-up periods (manufacturers closing over holidays) in the UK works, but here in South Africa they close round about from 22 December - 17 January. Was wondering when you guys are flying over? We can only go the first week in December, because of the children only finishing their year then, but it is the worst time for tradies to look for employment then. Will try and organise something prior to our arrival, but seems it is very difficult as future employers enjoy meeting a person face to face.

Have you thought about an area where you will be settling?

Karen

x

Guest The Standalofts
Hi Lesley,

My OH is also a welder. Not sure how your breaking-up periods (manufacturers closing over holidays) in the UK works, but here in South Africa they close round about from 22 December - 17 January. Was wondering when you guys are flying over? We can only go the first week in December, because of the children only finishing their year then, but it is the worst time for tradies to look for employment then. Will try and organise something prior to our arrival, but seems it is very difficult as future employers enjoy meeting a person face to face.

Have you thought about an area where you will be settling?

Karen

x

Hi Karen

We are planning on going January, however, we have still to sell the house. If we don't get sold up then we will head out to activate our visas around the same time. Hubby works for himself so he has flexibility of when we go. If it ends up we need to go just too active visas then end Dec start of Jan will suit me work wise. Our daughter is still only in preschool so we don’t have constraints there of when to move, which helps. We thought January as we hoped that after the Oz holidays there would be a better chance of getting work. I am keen on moving in or around the Seaford area in the South; however hubby thinks it would suit him better to live in the North as he thinks he will get more work there - I am guessing we will need to hit the ground to establish what’s right for us. Our plan is to take a month’s holiday rental & my parents are going to come with us (I desperately want them to move with us so going start the sales pitch with them as soon as the plane touches down – how selfish am I)! While in the holiday accommodation we will try and track down a rental, and plan renting until we are sure of where we want to settle.

What about you have you thought were you would like to stay?

Lesley

Guest AceOfSpades
Welcome, we have found a wealth of information on this site. when received our visa end of April just need to sell up now then we will be over there. anyone want to buy a house in Leeds, reasonable priced 3 bed semi. :P

Ajford, Loving the advert! If I hear of anyone wanting a house in leeds I will send them your way! Good Luck with the move, hope all goes well! x