Pastures New

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Hi there,

my name is Paul MacKeddie from Dingwall in north of Scotland. In August my wife (Kelly) and I will be moving to Adelaide so just though I would say hello.

We're both strangers to Australia so big new experience but looking forward to it. We're probably taking our two dogs with us and are keen to meet other dog owners who can give help and advice.

Hoping also to make some new friends and share info etc through this web site.

Cheers

Paul

Hi Paul and Welcome,

I dont own any dogs or know very much about them to be honest, We too are moving to Adelaide hopefully soon, Need to sell the house book tickets and then do the move,

There will be someone on here who can help you regarding your dogs etc.. this is a great place to meet friendly people who are or have been in the same boat as yourself- use the search bar and read old posts. Im sure there will be something

Anyway enjoy your journey all the best

Andrew

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Thanks Andrew, good advice.

I'm heading out myself for 4 weeks (company sponsored) from end July then back home for a couple of weeks to tie up loose ends then we're off!!. Visa about to be lodged but am told it may only take 3-4 weeks.

Hope all goes well with the house sale and have a good journey.

Cheers

Paul

Guest Lesley F

Hi Paul and Kelly,

welcome to the site,its great for advice and making new friends before the big move. I am from the Scottish Borders and am hoping to migrate next winter. Good luck and best wishes for the big move.

Lesley :-)

Guest Squareman

The dugs will love it mate. Plenty of space to run around and all-year good weather. Cannie to get a wee dug here, but will have to wait until we move out of this rental :-(

Guest The Standalofts
Hi there,

my name is Paul MacKeddie from Dingwall in north of Scotland. In August my wife (Kelly) and I will be moving to Adelaide so just though I would say hello.

We're both strangers to Australia so big new experience but looking forward to it. We're probably taking our two dogs with us and are keen to meet other dog owners who can give help and advice.

Hoping also to make some new friends and share info etc through this web site.

Cheers

Paul

Hello & welcome - I have not used this site for a long time but have found it a goldmine of information. Hope you enjoy your adventure.

Lesley

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Thanks Lesley,

Hope your sale goes through quickly. I'm keepinh house in Scotland so not such a restriction but still so much to do before we go. Visa application sent yesterday but sponsored so should be through in a couple of weeks. Fingers crossed

All ther best

Paul

Guest ozarsenal
Hi Squareman,

Dogs will be fine....only worry might be snakes! good point though

LOL - I have been here 40 years and have NEVER seen a live snake except in the zoo or a wildlife park. A couple of dead ones on the side of the road a couple of hours out of town, but not in the suburbs unless you back onto a conservation park or something like that.

Hi Paul

What kind of dogs do you have? We were looking to bring our 2 with us (German Shepherd and Newfoundland) when we came over but there was a really hot summer in the UK just before we came and they struggled then so we thought they would really struggle here so we re housed them with family friends... which I really regret now...

However it is so much less humid here so they probably would have been fine and when it is a really hot day you just leave them inside with the aircon!!! anyway we now have a Bernese mountain dog and he is fantastic loves the beach and swims everyday loads of people with dogs over here.

I have never seen a snake either you just have to be a bit mindful in the spring I'm told.

If you have any questions just ask as lots of people have bought their doggies with them. Have you looked into transit for them yet?

Good luck with all your plans

Kim

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Superb Ozarsenal,

Internet full of advice and scare stories on snakes. I have no issues just worried bout dogs so good to get a touch or reality.

Cheers

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Thanks for info Kim. We have 2 springer spaniels. They're great but constantly have the nose down exploring. Got a good quote with Petairuk and they give me plenty confidence so looks like we're well on way to getting set up. Also lining up some dog walking while they're in quarantine...they'll go mad for 30 days without exercise :biglaugh:

Cheers

Hi Paul

What kind of dogs do you have? We were looking to bring our 2 with us (German Shepherd and Newfoundland) when we came over but there was a really hot summer in the UK just before we came and they struggled then so we thought they would really struggle here so we re housed them with family friends... which I really regret now...

However it is so much less humid here so they probably would have been fine and when it is a really hot day you just leave them inside with the aircon!!! anyway we now have a Bernese mountain dog and he is fantastic loves the beach and swims everyday loads of people with dogs over here.

I have never seen a snake either you just have to be a bit mindful in the spring I'm told.

If you have any questions just ask as lots of people have bought their doggies with them. Have you looked into transit for them yet?

Good luck with all your plans

Kim

Guest Squareman

The sad fact that is that the average life expectancy for a dog here is two weeks. Dogs that run around 'nose-down' would be even more at risk. But not to worry mate, K-Mart sells a product called Dog Guard, which consists of 4 little stilts that you attach to your dog's legs so that it elevates your dog about 4ft off the ground. You can also buy the Nose - Guard, which is like a little crash helmet that you attach to your dog's nose.

;-)

Guest Paul MacKeddie

:biglaugh: I'll be there...also purchasing doggie hayfever tablets turtle wax for shiny coat...nice one.

The sad fact that is that the average life expectancy for a dog here is two weeks. Dogs that run around 'nose-down' would be even more at risk. But not to worry mate, K-Mart sells a product called Dog Guard, which consists of 4 little stilts that you attach to your dog's legs so that it elevates your dog about 4ft off the ground. You can also buy the Nose - Guard, which is like a little crash helmet that you attach to your dog's nose.

;-)

We have a dog out here, Ridgeback X Rottie and she loves her uns on the beach there are some dog friendly beaches here where you can let your dog run of the lead....a 20 minute mad runaround tires ours out for ages.....

As for snakes i have only seen one we were walking in the Aldinga Scrub...but thats where they live so that comes with the territory i suppose....

The one big difference you will see here is that aussies keep their dogs mainly outside they dnt let them in the house...

anything just shout out mate...

HG

Guest Squareman

I actually find that there isn't a lot of people with dogs here. This may have something to do with the fact that I lived in South Africa for most of my life, where the average person has to have a pack of blood-thirsty hounds as a first line of defence. Bullets are dead expensive, you know.

Paul, keep an eye on the board for the Scottish get-togethers. I intend to make them a regular thing. Bring the dugs! bring the weans! Ye can even bring the wife!

Hi Paul,

Must be exciting for you knowing your visa is coming so quickly, good luck with the move. We're from Hamilton, just near Glasgow and are hoping to be out by next autumn/winter. We would love to go on some scottish meets too when we get over xx

Guest Paul MacKeddie

Hey there,

Nice to hear from you. Yeh, I'm fortunate to have company sponsoring VISA so hoping it will be through soon. Looking forward to going out in July. Seems to be quite a few Scots across in Adelaide so looking forward to making new friends. Seems like a long wait for you but should fly by.

All the best. Px

Yeah I'v still got my 2nd year HND to complete next year so I'm hoping that will keep me busy, you will have to keep us all updated on how you are getting on and settling, good luck again x