Differences between North and South

Guest TH82

Afternoon all

Now we have put our application in we are now seriously looking at where we would like to settle. I have printed out a map and have been searching and reading as many posts as I can about suburbs and looking where they are on the map. I have now confused myself a million times over. My husband is a Plumbing and Heating Engineer so where we settle will mostly depend on work opportunities for him so have been trying to look at posts mentioning this type of work but am struggling a bit. I was wondering if people would mind giving their opinions on the differences in work opportunities and housing prices between North and South, if any. Or if they think anything else is relevant and we need to take into consideration, I would be happy to hear views.

Thanks

T x

Guest Viksta

Oh this is weird?!!? I just wrote an answer to you on my thread saying I need to get a map and have heard things about the south, then saw this - how bizzarre!!! Any chance you could let me know where you printed the map off, I want a decent detailed one!! Sorry can't help with the answers but look forward to other people answering!!

Personally I like the southern suburbs, but saying that I don't like it too far out. I hope that after our first year in Glenelg we'll be able to settle somewhere close by there. I don't want to just be in suburbia out there and find the suburbs closer to the city, the older builds tend to have more little areas I like.

I've not really spent much time in the northern ones. Hubby isn't keen on it up there and hails from the southern end so I guess his preference leads us.

In the end if its work that is going to dicatate, until you know where that is its hard to say. What are your other considerations? Schooling? Work/social stuff for Mum and toddler? Commute? Travel to other places? Beach access?

Guest Guest75

I've got to say it's very hard to give a definitive answer on this.

Adelaide has so much to offer.There is something for everyone,just at times it takes a bit of finding.

I really suggest looking around the entire metropolitan area, there will be some pleasant surprises.There are some lovely areas up in the North East - but as I have a boat ,too far away from the sea.

Same thing down south. We live very close to what was once considered a pretty feral area, not now.people say that we are lucky living here now!:biglaugh:

Sometimes there is a bit of North vs South banter or even arguments in here..... dunno why that is but no need for it.

I only know the south well, prices are reasonable for rentals and property,better access to the sea,quieter,great access to the Fleurieu Peninsular. Downside is the distance of commutes if you work in the city or further north.

As Snifter said work will dictate to a certain degree.

Guest Guest75
OOOO I love these threads where everyone comes out and slags off the other just cos 1 lives North and the other lives South:biglaugh::biglaugh:.

I love them both but our jobs and great school is up north so we live North but love to go to the South and look at ferals:biglaugh:.

I don't think anyone is slagging off - if they are I wish they would stop it,very tired of this North south thing it is very silly indeed.:skeptical:

Guest Guest75
Not slagging off YET but give them time;) it comes from both side and it does add to the fun of PIA

Just one of the things that winds me up on PIA - this N vs S thing is in just a few people's heads,dunno why they get such a chip on.:o

I'll clearly say that parts of the southern areas attract me - that ain't slagging the north off,just a view.

Just one of the things that winds me up on PIA - this N vs S thing is in just a few people's heads,dunno why they get such a chip on.:o

I'll clearly say that parts of the southern areas attract me - that ain't slagging the north off,just a view.

Oh Tyke you will always get people who have to run somewhere down just cos they want to live somewhere else part of life. Just letting the OP know what they could be in for with asking a normal question which most of us wanted to know when we were back in blighty just some have to take it to far and see it as having a dig at other areas. There are parts, quite a few that I wouldn't live in the North but each to there own.

What you have to remember is what do you want from life and you dont know that til you get here as everything changes:D

I love the North East for its beautiful walks in the hills, Barossa on our doorstep, some lovely large blocks still available at reasonable prices and the local schools around here are great. The South however has fantastic beaches, cant comment on anything else down there because I havnt lived there

I love the North East for its beautiful walks in the hills, Barossa on our doorstep, some lovely large blocks still available at reasonable prices and the local schools around here are great. The South however has fantastic beaches, cant comment on anything else down there because I havnt lived there

And the wine Wendy dont forget the wine:notworthy:

Guest Jo&Phil

To be fair... I think the north/south divide is in Adelaidians heads so if that is mirrored here perhaps it's a sign of everyone settling in! Many Adelaidians are either north or south centric depending on where they were bought up/went to school.

Work colleagues who live north of the city enjoy easier traffic access to the city whereas those who live south enjoy access to larger array of beachside living options. Leaving north/south aside .... lots of Adelaidians hanker for the inner city suburbs and think that 20kms out is worthy of a water bag and a packed lunch!

Guest RichandHelen

I have been, and talked to residents in EVERY suburb. Honestly there is no real difference between north and south . Great, good, bad and down right crap areas in both of them. Your main , and in my opinion only consideration between them is your commute to work. It is taking longer and longer to get to and from areas with each passing day..

This North-South banter really makes me laugh!

I have lived in Adelaide since 1971, and to be honest, I had never really heard talk of a "North-South", one is better than the other, type talk, until I happened upon the 'Pom' websites. I really think it is in the mind of the Brits, and I'm not sure why. Is there a thing about whether you live North or South in Britain?

I have lived in a number of homes from Elizabeth in the north, to Clarence Park in the near south. OK, to be honest, I wouldn't live in Elizabeth now, but really, most places are okay if that is where you have made your home, and if you are happy there. Funnily enough, Elizabeth got a bit of a bad name partly because it was mostly Brits and descendants of Brits! Although, I think it was more that it had a lot of cheap and government housing, and therefore attracted some of the 'ferals'.

There are places in the south that also have a bit of a reputation, but I don't know exactly which ones, so can't name any.

There are a few suburbs in the north, and the north-west, that I wouldn't want to live in, but, especially in the north-east, there are a lot of really lovely suburbs with easy access to the hills and the Torrens walking/cycling tracks.

I can't really comment about the southern suburbs, having never lived in them, but there are probably good and bad there as well, and yes, they are closer to the beach if that is what you want.

Commute time could be an issue if you live far south, or even far north.

What about East and West??? There are some nice Western suburbs near the beach, and there are no Eastern suburbs that I would want to avoid - they are generally leafy, close to the city (Adelaide extends mostly north-south, as you are restricted in the east by the hills, and in the west by the sea.), and close to the hills. If you are far enough east you might get a good view as it becomes elevated. Also, if you live in the east, and work in the city, you never have to drive to or from work with the sun in your eyes!

Anyway, I would wait until you get here before trying to work out exactly where to live, and see how you find it yourself. Different people like different things.

Personally I like the southern suburbs, but saying that I don't like it too far out. I hope that after our first year in Glenelg we'll be able to settle somewhere close by there. I don't want to just be in suburbia out there and find the suburbs closer to the city, the older builds tend to have more little areas I like.

I've not really spent much time in the northern ones. Hubby isn't keen on it up there and hails from the southern end so I guess his preference leads us.

In the end if its work that is going to dicatate, until you know where that is its hard to say. What are your other considerations? Schooling? Work/social stuff for Mum and toddler? Commute? Travel to other places? Beach access?

Thank you for replying! Schooling is a consideration yes but I'm sure there will be good schools in both North and South. I am hoping to be able to work as well but being a Beauty Therapist, can always go mobile so can work pretty much anywhere (as long as there is plenty of women lol) . It would be lovely to be near a beach but I don't find that a priority, we can always drive out at the weekend (we like our day trips lol). I think Kevin's work is our biggest priority so maybe we will have to look at North more if that's where the work is

Oh this is weird?!!? I just wrote an answer to you on my thread saying I need to get a map and have heard things about the south, then saw this - how bizzarre!!! Any chance you could let me know where you printed the map off, I want a decent detailed one!! Sorry can't help with the answers but look forward to other people answering!!

I printed 2 maps from Google maps chick, one from the north and one from the south and put them together - it was just so I had a quick referral when I was reading posts, nothing fancy x

Thank you everyone for taking the time to reply. I'm thinking from the replies that if we find accommodation somewhere central when we move out then we can take the time to travel round and make a decision when we know better about work opportunities, as suggested.

Thanks again!

Tx