Car insurance(uk full no claims transferable)

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi Gang

I look at this great site daily but as of yet not posted many threads!Wondered if you could answer a few questions for me?How does car insurance work in Adelaide compared to the UK & if we have full no claims bonus here would that mean anything there when we buy a car and insure it?Also we received a lovely speeding ticket on our return to the UK which we picked up whilst on a 2 week break in June to Adelaide.We paid it in full straight away is this now written off or will it go against us when we arrive for good this summer?will we have points put on our licence for it?I have decided after reading the many great threads to not bother with copies of our medical and dental records(2 adults & 4 kids)so thanks for info one less thing to think about!Also i am on permanent medication for high blood pressure any idea what this may cost me for repeat prescriptions?

house going up for sale soon and we are all getting very excited!Can't wait to start our new adventure in Adelaide!Don't suppose you get "smooth FM" out there do you?

My hubby is a Telecom Engineer here in the UK.He has heard the best thing to do is get himself on an ozzie contracting course asap!Does anybody know much about this?Anyone Telecom out there that could help?It has been his job for the last 20 years so would be great if he could do something similar out there!Like many people one of our main worries is getting employment sorted asap especially with 4 young kids in tow!

Cheers

Gill

Gill

Hi gill and welcome to PIA (just in case I hadn't said it already)

The car insurance is paid via 3rd party only along with your road tax a one off fee for 3months or you can do longer if you wish, the fully comp has to be paid separately if that is what you require.

Can't answer any of your other questions though as I'm not there just yet, but good luck anyway.

Guest Upsy Daisy

Hi Gill

I have no answers for you because we' re only just finding out stuff ourselves right now, but just wanted to say hi because I saw you were from Maghull - we're from Crosby!!

How old are your kids? We have two (age 8 and 4). We'll be a couple of years behind you though because I want to finish my degree here first :)

Guest graandjac

;)hi guys, welcome to PIA, I do believe that car insurance will be honoured if you take proof of no claims, and as above fully comp is paid as an extra as third party is part of your car tax. Cheers Graham

Guest Upsy Daisy

Hi Cormcvcr...

Thanks for the welcome! This site is ace - I'm finding out so much on here and everyone so far has been really helpful.

We're gonna start the whole application process next year so, for now, I'm just on a fact-finding mission! The thought of moving is scarey stuff but I reckon best to have given it a go rather than always wondering 'what if.'

Hope your visa gets granted soon! :)

Guest cunnah10
Hi gill and welcome to PIA (just in case I hadn't said it already)

The car insurance is paid via 3rd party only along with your road tax a one off fee for 3months or you can do longer if you wish, the fully comp has to be paid separately if that is what you require.

Can't answer any of your other questions though as I'm not there just yet, but good luck anyway.

Thanks for reply!I think i have got a bit braver now and realized that it is not that scary writing a thread to you lot!When do you hope to arrive in Adelaide and any idea of areas to look at settling in yet?

Cheers

Gill

Guest sarahsmartiepants

One thing you must be awae iof is although you get third party ith your rego, this only covers third party human damage, nothing for the damamged car, if you hit a car, your fault and damage the car and person, the ins only covers the person not thier car, they will have to take you on and get the money for the car independantly.

You get separate insurance, you can get full y comp, third party and some companies still do third party fire and theft.

I dont know about if you get a fine on a uk licence, but if you were driving on an aussie one then there are points to be gained.

As for medical papers I would def bring the ones that say what jabs your kids have had.

Dont know about re peat scripts, I think tehy are $25 a go, but not positive

sarah

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill and family,

Just to let you know there is a meet up in Warrington on 27th Jan, if you want to have a chat.

Take Care

Suzi

Hi thanks for very much appreciated invite to meeting up 27th Jan in Warrington!Tell me more where,when and is it just us grown ups?Am i glad that i,ve started to join in on this fab site!Been bit shy up to now just clicked on each day to see what you guys have to say and what great info on offer!

You may have said but clicked off page now when do you plan to arrive in Adelaide and any areas yet to settle in?You will do well out there as a dog groomer i believe they are doggy mad!I have re homed my family Lhasa Apso to my aunt(we all miss her but i decided as she had minded her when we had a weekend away and fell in love with her then it would be easier to let her go now(although the kids still not forgiven me)was advised by vet would be cruel to put her through the ordeal of transporting her all the way to oz as she was a very nervous little dog and just a short car journey made her into a quivering wreck!I watched a programme last year about a family that went out to oz and the wife started up her own mobile dog grooming business!she towed a trailer fully equipped to do the lot!she cudn't keep up with the way her business took off!

Keep in touch

Gill

Guest cunnah10

One thing you must be awae iof is although you get third party ith your rego, this only covers third party human damage, nothing for the damamged car, if you hit a car, your fault and damage the car and person, the ins only covers the person not thier car, they will have to take you on and get the money for the car independantly.

You get separate insurance, you can get full y comp, third party and some companies still do third party fire and theft.

I dont know about if you get a fine on a uk licence, but if you were driving on an aussie one then there are points to be gained.

As for medical papers I would def bring the ones that say what jabs your kids have had.

Dont know about re peat scripts, I think tehy are $25 a go, but not positive

sarah

Hi Sarah (i spoke to you on this site way back before you left UK but you may have forgotten with so much going on)You sound very settled now all those miles away in Oz!Thanks for info regarding car ins and when we got speeding ticket we were driving on our UK licence!Hey maybe we will get to meet up sometime!

Keep in touch

Gill

Guest cunnah10
;)hi guys, welcome to PIA, I do believe that car insurance will be honoured if you take proof of no claims, and as above fully comp is paid as an extra as third party is part of your car tax. Cheers Graham

Thanks Graham for your relply over car insurance etc!It sounds a bit risky just taking out 3rd party as we have always been fully comp in UK!Is this what most people do though?I've just heard that if in a bump then it is only the person that is covered 3rd party so what i presume is that you just have to foot the bill for any damage to the car yourself?Would it not be safer to just go fully comp as we do here in uk?

Cheers

Gill

Guest cunnah10

Thanks Graham for your relply over car insurance etc!It sounds a bit risky just taking out 3rd party as we have always been fully comp in UK!Is this what most people do though?I've just heard that if in a bump then it is only the person that is covered 3rd party so what i presume is that you just have to foot the bill for any damage to the car yourself?Would it not be safer to just go fully comp as we do here in uk?

Cheers

Gill

Hi Gill,

We are hoping to be in adelaide fingers crossed February, if my estimations are right going with other peoples timelines. We loved Brighton, Seacliff and Hallett cove, but going with affordability and schooling have opted for Hallett Cove.

I have cousins in Marden and Morphett Vale, so when we arrive we will be staying with them to give us a chance of getting a rental and buying a car.

What about yourself, have you been over and had a look yet?

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill,

We are hoping to be in adelaide fingers crossed February, if my estimations are right going with other peoples timelines. We loved Brighton, Seacliff and Hallett cove, but going with affordability and schooling have opted for Hallett Cove.

I have cousins in Marden and Morphett Vale, so when we arrive we will be staying with them to give us a chance of getting a rental and buying a car.

What about yourself, have you been over and had a look yet?

Gosh "Feb" you must be soooo excited!Yes we went out in june for 2 weeks only though wish it was longer as we stayed in the gorgoeus southern hemisphere on Encounter Bay(Victor Harbour).Was so nice we forgot that we had come on a fact finding trip not just a hol so we rented up in Morphett Vale from a lovely family (Liz,Nick,Poppy & Kizzy)who are often on this site.Had a great time kids cried nearly all the way home as they just didn't want to ever leave!We have 4 little monsters aged 3,7,8(only girl bless her)and 10.Great age to relocate and what a fantastic future they have ahead of them hopefully(hence the reason we are moving).Not sure what area to settle in yet will just rent to start and take each day as it comes!Almost definately be in the south though!Suppose best waiting until hubby gets employment and then narrow areas down!Really fancy Hallett Cove myself but didn't actually get a chance to get to see it just what i've heard!How do you feel leaving family and friends behind?My parents have taken it really badly(devastated is an understatement)i feel so guilty but i have to try and deal with it(dreading when the time comes to say goodbye)also leaving an older son behind (20)who was originally coming with us but since met a girl and had a baby with her so he can no longer be part of our application!But can't miss out on this chance of a new life in oz for my other 4 younger children.Will always regret it otherwise if we didn't go because of upsetting other family members(sounds selfish and i'm a big softie really but i'm trying to justify us going still as i did back out a few months ago and hubby was so disappointed in me so i've promised i "will" go through with it this time - hence the reason i'm sounding a lot braver than i really am)

Good luck with the "big" move will follow your news on here as you relocate!

Gill

Guest Matt & Suzi

Hiya Gill

The Meet up is at Mascrat Manor if you come off J21 - M6 its just on the roundabout, where the Thelwall viaduct is.

I cant wait to get dog grooming over there, I love it. At least you know your dog has got a good home to go to, we are taking ours but I know he will be fine, he is really chilled out.

Guest cunnah10
Hiya Gill

The Meet up is at Mascrat Manor if you come off J21 - M6 its just on the roundabout, where the Thelwall viaduct is.

I cant wait to get dog grooming over there, I love it. At least you know your dog has got a good home to go to, we are taking ours but I know he will be fine, he is really chilled out.

Cheers for info!Never been to a meet up so thanks for invite!Is it adults only or kids too?And finally what time do we arrive and how many others are going?

Gill

Guest sarahsmartiepants
Hi Sarah (i spoke to you on this site way back before you left UK but you may have forgotten with so much going on)You sound very settled now all those miles away in Oz!Thanks for info regarding car ins and when we got speeding ticket we were driving on our UK licence!Hey maybe we will get to meet up sometime!

Keep in touch

Gill

Hi Gill

Sorry I dont remember, maybe you have me muddled up with someone else, I have only been on this web site a few months, it didnt exist when I was still in UK. Would you by any chance have spoken to me on adelaide brits?? I was on there beofore I came here.

sarah

Gosh "Feb" you must be soooo excited!Yes we went out in june for 2 weeks only though wish it was longer as we stayed in the gorgoeus southern hemisphere on Encounter Bay(Victor Harbour).Was so nice we forgot that we had come on a fact finding trip not just a hol so we rented up in Morphett Vale from a lovely family (Liz,Nick,Poppy & Kizzy)who are often on this site.Had a great time kids cried nearly all the way home as they just didn't want to ever leave!We have 4 little monsters aged 3,7,8(only girl bless her)and 10.Great age to relocate and what a fantastic future they have ahead of them hopefully(hence the reason we are moving).Not sure what area to settle in yet will just rent to start and take each day as it comes!Almost definately be in the south though!Suppose best waiting until hubby gets employment and then narrow areas down!Really fancy Hallett Cove myself but didn't actually get a chance to get to see it just what i've heard!How do you feel leaving family and friends behind?My parents have taken it really badly(devastated is an understatement)i feel so guilty but i have to try and deal with it(dreading when the time comes to say goodbye)also leaving an older son behind (20)who was originally coming with us but since met a girl and had a baby with her so he can no longer be part of our application!But can't miss out on this chance of a new life in oz for my other 4 younger children.Will always regret it otherwise if we didn't go because of upsetting other family members(sounds selfish and i'm a big softie really but i'm trying to justify us going still as i did back out a few months ago and hubby was so disappointed in me so i've promised i "will" go through with it this time - hence the reason i'm sounding a lot braver than i really am)

Good luck with the "big" move will follow your news on here as you relocate!

Gill

Hi Gill,

I'm leaving behind my parents, brother and his 2 kids, my OH is leaving behind his parents, brother with 2 kids, brother with no kids and a sister with a new born. I personally feel okay about the whole thing as my dad started saving up for his flight as soon as I told him we were going to try and get our visa, so I don't think he will be far behind us when we get there, my brother, girlfriend and their kids always look for somewhere a bit different to holiday, so he is a definate for a visit.

My OH is more troubled by his dad (although his dad is fine) as they both work together, he is trying to find single jobs for each to do, so that there is a bit of distance between them, to help make the leaving a bit easier, but again all have said they will come over for a visit. His mum is the tearful one, she is finding it difficult (but I'm getting the blame of that one, cos it's my family who are helping get us in!) In-laws eh!:biglaugh:

The way things are going I don't we will be having much time to adjust, as there will be loads of family and friends over.

The PIA is a great way to help with home sickness, as there are plenty of them already settled in Australia and will help in any way they can.

Like yourself we are doing this for the future of our kids, it's definately the right thing to do as far as I'm concerned, but need to give it a try for minimum of 3 years, if things aren't right by then at least we will have our permanent residency and it will open up other opportunities for the kids when they are older (it means they won't have to go through the same ordeal as us trying to get a visa!)

But keep us posted and try not to keep things bottled up, it's only natural that you will have fears, but let us all know and we'll help as best we can to alleviate those fears x