are the mozzies major prob in summer?

Guest cunnah10

Guest cunnah10

Hi Gang

Just a silly question really my hubby "hates" mozzies and has heard they are unbearable and are a major problem in the hot months!He keeps going on and on and on about it (we haven't even got there yet and he's driving me mad already).Are they really such a problem(and the flies)and if so there must be ways to deal with them?

Also i know it gets very hot in certain months.Is it unbearable?Although i'd rather be too hot than too bloody cold like here in the UK!Again hubby worried how people cope in such heat especially when working outdoors all day!

I know i've said it before but this site is brill!I've browsed for months and just started to chat as we hope to be in Adelaide this summer!I'm addicted click on every opportunity!

What a fab idea whoever set this up!

Cheers

Gill

Guest chrisk8
Hi Gang

Just a silly question really my hubby "hates" mozzies and has heard they are unbearable and are a major problem in the hot months!He keeps going on and on and on about it (we haven't even got there yet and he's driving me mad already).Are they really such a problem(and the flies)and if so there must be ways to deal with them?

Also i know it gets very hot in certain months.Is it unbearable?Although i'd rather be too hot than too bloody cold like here in the UK!Again hubby worried how people cope in such heat especially when working outdoors all day!

I know i've said it before but this site is brill!I've browsed for months and just started to chat as we hope to be in Adelaide this summer!I'm addicted click on every opportunity!

What a fab idea whoever set this up!

Cheers

Gill

Hi Cunnah,

I'm not overly qualified to comment on this as we have only been here for two months but from what we have seen so far -

mozzies can be bad but it seems that some areas are worse than others - we're in Greenwith in the North east Suburbs and they aren't too bad. We spent NYE by the River Murray at Mannum and expected to get eaten alive but we sat out with rellies & friends most of the night and didn't get one bite.

Flies though well they are something else!!! they are everywhere but you seem to get use to them.

Heat - as suggested above we've only been in Adelaide two months so we have just experienced some very hot weather over Christmas and NYE's. In all honesty temperatures that we have never experienced anywhere before - I would sympathise with anyone working outside must be a nightmare but otherwise all offices are aircon, as are the Plaza's and we found cinemas a great place to be once the temperature tops 40 plus.

Hope this helps a little.

Chris

Guest sarahsmartiepants

I never thought I would see the day that I would say "give me a mozzie ovcer a fly any day"!!! At least mozzies dont try to get up your nose in the corner of your eyes or in your mouth and ears BLOODY ANNOYING!!!!:realmad:

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Gill,

Has everyone has said the mozzies aren't that bad, i did get quite a few bites once at a place called st kilda which is just north of adelaide in the mangroves, but i didn't spray up before hand. The flies are a pain, but again wearing a repelant helps and not wearing dark colours also seems to help, but over the last 2 years I haven't noticed the flies from late Jan, so hopefully they just die away.

As for working outside, it must be hard on the hot days, but I believe that you are not allowed to work outside in temperatures in excess of 37 for long periods, and i know the builders start really early in summer and finish by lunch time to avoid the hottest time of the day.

Not sure if where I work is normal, but even the factory floor has aircon, with extra privaliges on the really hot days, like extra drinks breaks etc... as for at home just ensure the house you build, buy or rent has a good enough air con to cope with the heat.

Guest cunnah10
I never thought I would see the day that I would say "give me a mozzie ovcer a fly any day"!!! At least mozzies dont try to get up your nose in the corner of your eyes or in your mouth and ears BLOODY ANNOYING!!!!:realmad:

I take it the flies are a nightmare then!!!

Oh well we will just have to live with the buggers like everybody else as i'm not going to back out know because of them!!!

Gill

Guest cunnah10
Hi Gill,

Has everyone has said the mozzies aren't that bad, i did get quite a few bites once at a place called st kilda which is just north of adelaide in the mangroves, but i didn't spray up before hand. The flies are a pain, but again wearing a repelant helps and not wearing dark colours also seems to help, but over the last 2 years I haven't noticed the flies from late Jan, so hopefully they just die away.

As for working outside, it must be hard on the hot days, but I believe that you are not allowed to work outside in temperatures in excess of 37 for long periods, and i know the builders start really early in summer and finish by lunch time to avoid the hottest time of the day.

Not sure if where I work is normal, but even the factory floor has aircon, with extra privaliges on the really hot days, like extra drinks breaks etc... as for at home just ensure the house you build, buy or rent has a good enough air con to cope with the heat.

Cheers for reply!Mawson Lakes seem very popular keeps popping up lately must go for a nozy!I guess once the hot months are over life with the flies are not so bad then!

Cheers

Gill

Guest Rob and Clare

Hi Gill,

I think the flies this year are a little worse than normal, something to do with the milder winters.... But other than annoying, they're not that bad...

Mawson lakes is a nice place and if your about it's worth a look, very modern, manicured lakes gardens and playgrounds, loads of huge posh houses, and new apartments and terraces, but best of all, we don't have any water restrictions. But it's just a different style of living in adelaide.

• 9 months later...
Guest ElleNico

Take Vit B complex - mozzies hate that. And you can get some good lemon tea lights to burn outside - really effective! Tried and tested in Adelaide, Oct 07 and Feb/ March 08.

Guest katsmajic

Hiya Lindsey, weather has been fab hasnt it - was a bit windy on moana beach today - but at least i dried out quickly after my 1st attempt at body boarding - kids thought it was hilarious! so did the adults watching actually lol

Flies are being pests - they aim for openings - eyes/mouth/nose/ears etc yuk

bunnings and big w have fly zappers/uv light zappers for the garden but unfortunately they dont seem to work on mozzies...

the mozzies at the bbq we went to last night were well hungry!

Me too and they never normally bother me. The flies were a nuisance today - but the weather has been great, musn't complain!

Mossies are a problem depending on where you live. They breed in stagnant water so it you're by a stream, someone has a fishpond or fountain they don't look after, birdbaths, etc, you'll get a lot.

One house can have thousands... 5 doors down none. Also depends on the wind as they get blow about a bit.

I am one of those people that they love. Put me in a room with 100 ppl and I will be the only one with 500 bites!!!

Things I've found out:

• Dusk is the worse time for mossies.
  • Heat makes the bites swell and become more itchy
  • Natural anti-itch is slobber. I know gross but believe me if you one who attracts it can be due to a chemical you secret. Get a bit on your finger then dab on to bite (don't rub it in). As it dries it takes away the itch for a while.
  • Repellent: best is Avon bug repellent or the green moisturiser is just as good.
  • These also work: http://www.mosquitoclick.com/. 15 clicks will make the swelling go down, 10 take the itch away for a while.

I use the clicker during the day when it's hot, it helps keep the swelling & itch down.

When I first arrived 1 bit would make half my arm well up, now it's a big lump but no where near as bad. I did get Ross River a few years back so if they are attracted to you then make sure you have plently of replenent if near the Murray River or Qld as they have RR and Ensephalitis (sp.).

FLIES!!! ah!!!! you think there are millions in the city go to the outback! I drove to Darwin earlier this year and I'll tell you.... the absolute middle of nowhere there are trillions. The idea with flies, hard but you get it eventually, is not to swat. Let them sit on you, they generally sit on your back. That way they don't buzz around your face. They also prefer darker colours so if one of you has a white t-shirt and the other blue then the blue person will get more.

forgot... mossies are worse in spring when the rain stops and the water places become stagnant. I have some dams on my property and they've just started. They'll be gone in a couple of months once the water dried up.

If you're house has a water tank make sure you protect it properly from mossie, even if you don't use it for drinking. They breed like mad in them.