The great snake debate - the truth please!

Guest guest8040

Guest guest8040

I have been all gung ho for this move when it happens up until now. Probably stupidly, I'm now worrying about moving somewhere where it seems snakes come into your house and after watching Poms In Paradise last night, sit on your bloody sofa - a quick google has freaked me even more. I am utterly indescribably terrified of snakes venomous or not. I have 2 young children too and would be worried sick about them. Now death from snake bite seems rare but its not that I'm worried about - how often do you realistically see them especially in your house, garden, garage etc and how do you protect the kids. If you see them all the time, whether they run off or not I'm going to really struggle! Hope you can sense the fear in this thread and feel for me or alternatively have a good snigger at my phobic over-reaction. I look forward to your replies! P.S. are there any suburbs where they are generally more prevalent so I can cross them off my 'areas to look at living' list :nah:

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guest75

Seriously - don't worry.

Most of the members who live here have never seen one!!

I know I mention we get them (summer only as they hibernate) but we are a little more on the edge of suburbia. in Onkaparinga Hills.

Common sense not to go through long grass or poking into places you can't see into.

Seriously ................don't worry.

Is this a good time to bring out the horrendous spider pictures????:biglaugh::biglaugh:

Whipe.jpg

Guest moonraker1959

Yes I have seen a few snakes but then I lived rurally,not in the burbs.You're hardly going to be bumping into one every 5 minutes hon so relax ok?People don't walk around totally paranoid,you just know which type of places to avoid,be careful lifting any old galvo sheets or whatever outside,and most people would testify,if for example you are bushwalking,stick to the path,and snakes will usually try and avoid you and wrigggle away quickly.Yes there are also alot of spiders,again you have to be careful as these are not found just out in the sticks.I had a redback in my house in the burbs many years ago.You learn to respect nature more I think because it makes you more aware.Try not to let it get to you too much,its only nature!:cute:

I have lived my entire life in Australia. (I'm in my late 50's.) I spent my first eighteen years on a farm, and only ever saw a few snakes, even on the land.

Since living in Adelaide, I could also count on two hands the number of snakes I have seen in the wild. Yes, it makes your heart beat just a little quicker if you see one, but fortunately, it makes their heart beat even faster, and they try to get away from you as quickly as possible! I have never, ever, seen a snake in the wild that is unafraid of humans and hasn't tried to get away.

Virtually all snake bites are the result of people trying to kill them - not a good idea! And of those bites, as long as you can get to a hospital, you will generally be alright. To be honest, I can only recall about one death by snakebite that I've heard on the news. It is VERY rare.

Oh, and I have NEVER had a snake get into any house that I have lived in. Not in the country, or in the suburbs. I have only ever seen two snakes in my backyard - always heading away. You are more likely to come across one if you are out walking on a warm sunny day, but if you are making a bit of noise and they feel the vibrations of your feet, you are unlikely to see them.

Now, if you go out driving, you are in a lot more danger from road accidents than you are from snake bites.

LOL, at Tyke bringing out his spider photos! Now, spiders won't get out of your way as quickly as snakes will, but they are also pretty harmless. To my knowledge, have never been bitten by a spider.

So, really, don't worry. We don't go around worrying about when we'll come across our next snake. Most of the time, you won't even think about it.

Guest guest8040

Thanks guys x x x what I need to hear! Any other replies welcome - except the ones that say 'yeah we see loads' haha. And Tyke, funnily enough spiders don't bother me one bit but that's phobias for you! It was the coming into the house bit that freaked me the most *shudders*

Talking of bites etc. I got bitten multiple times when we were touring the Limestone Coast - it was in a beach area with very short wirey grass. Had a collection of tiny red marks and it was very itchy. The skin kept peeling away but regrowing quickly.

Was in the sauna/steam room this afternoon and absent mindedly picked off a few bits of dry skin ... silly me. No idea what bit me but its still not healing completely after nearly 6 months! At least the itching's stopped but there are still a few red spots below the surface and looks like a permanent blister.

5863892504_4edf62976e.jpg

DSC01397 by Poppytree2010, on Flickr

Guest cornish Busdriver

Ive only seen 1 snake since being here and that was a baby.

I saw more snakes back in Kernow (Cornwall) that i have here.

Guest Guest5035

I play golf every week and in 20 years on golf courses here, i've only seen 1 brown snake that moved across the tee in front of me, mind you he was a biggie, around the 2 metre length.

As for spiders, don't worry about them either, if you see a redback or whitetail, flatten them.

Stevo

In 7 years I've seen 2 - one at the beach in the dunes (brown snake), one in the park(red bellied black snake - really pretty). Neither were close enough to be worried about. Cat did manage to find one last year (outside) and cost us $900 in vets bills though...but he survived (the snake didn't!!)

I regularly leave our back door open for the dog to come in and out, and we've had a blue tongued lizard come in, but no snakes - OH says I shouldn't do that in the summer though as it might tempt something in to the water bowl!

Guest Guest75
Thanks guys x x x what I need to hear! Any other replies welcome - except the ones that say 'yeah we see loads' haha. And Tyke, funnily enough spiders don't bother me one bit but that's phobias for you! It was the coming into the house bit that freaked me the most *shudders*

What about Centipedes??

They are huge here,have a bit of sting.

I can't help but giggle when I see one,they look like some rubber toy from a joke shop...:biglaugh::biglaugh:

This fella went or a swim in our bog.

27052011190.jpg

I've only seen one snake, and that was when cycling home along the river. I only saw it when I was right on top of it (it was less than a metre from the path). I may have let out some expletives. I think it had heard me coming as was doubled back on itself in a panic heading back into the long grass by the time I cycled past it and was gone by the time I'd stopped and cautiously headed back to see if it was still there and warn other people if it was.

Guest Squareman

I LOVE snakes. I used to collect and breed them as a kid back on the dark continent. I'm not too clued up on the local fauna, other than brown snakes, so if I see one I will be giving it a wide berth to be on the safe side.

In general, city dwellers (and surrounds) have nothing to fear from snakes. You are more likely to be run over, stung by a bee, bitten by a spider or introduced to Matt from this board.

;-)

Guest Guest75
Tyke' date='

If I found a centipede like that, what should I do? How would I get rid of it?[/quote']

We have a long handled dust pan and brush to pick em' up. Then they get a free trip to the sewage works ;);)

Guest Fluterby

I have never seen a snake since arriving nearly 2 years ago. We have had a fair few red back spiders and white tips in the house among other spiders and bugs. We also had a lizard in our house twice, and several lizards in the garden. Get loads of millipedes everywhere, floors, walls celings, even on the kitchen work surfaces. Also huge ants.

David

Guest The Dimmocks

We had a few centipedes like that come down the hallway, they horrible things. When I tried to pick it up front end came up and was following my hand. I stuck it over the back fence. Didnt know they gave a nasty bite until Tyke told me.

Guest tinkham_lee

We have lived in oz (Aldinga beach) for 20 months and have never seen a snake near the house, I saw one at a friends farm up in the hills once. Spiders on the other hand, we are always getting white tips in the house, 2 or 3 red backs in the garden and a few huntsmen 1 of which lived in my car. Probably doesn't help that we live next to a reserve and opposite a wet land.

Guest El Tel

Ive been here 17 years and come accross maybe a dozen.The closest was accidentally kicking a fully grown brownsnake on my driveway in Aberfoyle Park a few years back. Have seen a few red bellied blacks, near water every time. Your more likely to see them bushwalking or mountainbiking.Getting bitten though,is extremely rare!

I have seen a few dead very flat ones and have only ever seen one live one....whilst walking down in the Aldinga scrub....i froze to the spot as he rustled off back into the bushes...they are more scared of you...but provoked they will get nasty....get into the far north ofthe state and see the Taipans...very nasty very deadly.

HG

• 2 weeks later...
Guest The Standalofts
I have been all gung ho for this move when it happens up until now. Probably stupidly, I'm now worrying about moving somewhere where it seems snakes come into your house and after watching Poms In Paradise last night, sit on your bloody sofa - a quick google has freaked me even more. I am utterly indescribably terrified of snakes venomous or not. I have 2 young children too and would be worried sick about them. Now death from snake bite seems rare but its not that I'm worried about - how often do you realistically see them especially in your house, garden, garage etc and how do you protect the kids. If you see them all the time, whether they run off or not I'm going to really struggle! Hope you can sense the fear in this thread and feel for me or alternatively have a good snigger at my phobic over-reaction. I look forward to your replies! P.S. are there any suburbs where they are generally more prevalent so I can cross them off my 'areas to look at living' list :nah:

Can commiserate with you, my fear is spiders and even though I know in the UK they are harmless I all but pass out if I see a picture of one let alone see one in the flesh. I have found over the last few weeks that I am having terrible dreams about them & I know it’s because we are going to be moving. I have spoken to a hypnotherapist and they think they can help me in just a few sessions, so it’s possibly something worth you considering.

Lesley