Where do I start!!!

Guest amilburn

Guest amilburn

:arghh:

Hi there, after a few years of should we, shouldn't we?, my husband and I have decided that we would make the move to Australia to improve our family life. I am a full time mum to 3 children aged 20 month, 4years and 7 years. Adelaide seems to be the perfect place for us to move downunder to. We are going to attend a seminar in Leeds on Sunday. This will hopefully give us much needed information and get us started in the process. My husband is a electrical project manager and we hope to get a visa from his profession as an electrician.

We don't have a clue on where to start looking into things such as best areas in Adelaide for families, good schools in area, whether to rent or buy initially, what the construction industry is like there etc etc.

Any input/advice would be very much appreciated.

Andrea

Guest leeannekays

Hi Andrea, Hello and welcome.

Good luck with the journey. I expect lots will be on here giving you advice, its a really good site to learn lots.

Leeanne

Good luck, hold and enjoy yhe ride.

Firstly you will have to look at what VISA options are available to you and your family this can be done here immi.gov.au

Or there is the other optiona nd thats to get a free first appointment with an agaent there are a couple who knock around on here.

Have a search for Go Matilda and George Lombard these are the only two i can think about at 6am in the morning, this will give you soemthing to work off then it just ask ask ask away on here for any info.

Good luck you know where we are should you need anything

HG

Guest The Standalofts

Hi Andrea - I suppose the first thing you need to do is establish if you have enough points to go. There after there are alot of knowledgeable folk on this site who should be able to answer any questions you have.

like you we chopped and changed our mind manytimes about going, however, once we decided that was that - mountains of paperwork and many stressful arguments later we have our visa and starting to think about getting ready to go. We are hopful that we will have a better work/life balance and to be able to get out and about more without getting soaked to the skin.

Good luck with everything.

Lesley

Guest amilburn

Thanks Leeanne, I've just been having a good look around this site and some of the threads are really interesting. Think I will be spending lots of my evenings on here.

I haven't actually visited Australia and there is doubt in my mind about whether it really makes sense to make the move over the next year or whether to visit and then if sure, move a few years later (money will be tight if we do this though). Common sense tells me to visit first and check out if Australian culture is for me and my family. My heart however, tells me to go for it since I love the outdoor lifestyle that the country offers, and crave for a better life for my children and husband (he is fed up at work, struggling to get work re; electrical).

Has anyone else made the move without visiting the country first?

Guest amilburn

My husband has filled in a few online virtual visa assessments to give us an idea and the feedback he got was yes he should qualify for the 175 & 176 skilled visa.

Guest mez10

Hi Andrea,

We made the move without visiting Australia first. We love it here and only one regret - should have come years ago!

Good luck

Guest Guest75

Welcome!!

Looks like you have the points for getting here.

Yep,Adelaide is a great place to bring the young un's up.

Take what they say at the seminar in Leeds with a pinch of salt,they are trying to sell things to you.

The sun does not shine here every day (it's raining,cold and cloudy today) - but you do get outdoors a heck of a lot more.:biggrin::biggrin:

Spend ages looking through the posts on here as well,some great nuggets of info!

Guest PhilC
Has anyone else made the move without visiting the country first?

We moved straight out here without visiting first, most people are really surprised when you tell them that, but in my book, 'Nothing ventured, nothing gained'. You can do a fair bit of research on sites like this so you won't be completely unprepared. Don't underestimate the friendliness and willingness of people on here to help you out when you first arrive. We've all done it and know how hard it is when you first arrive, most of us would be more than willing to meet up with you and share our knowledge of the place when you get here.