An introduction...

Guest Dazzlin

Guest Dazzlin

Hi all,

Our 176 Visa was approved two weeks ago and we still haven't come to terms with it. I had a heart operation about 3 years ago and didn't think for one minute that I'd actually pass the medical - it just shows, if you don't try you'll never know! Personally, I think they are mainly concerned with transmittable diseases, whereas treated and managed conditions are less/no concern.

The Murphys comprise me and my wife, Sue (both 40) and our two kids, Abigail and Christopher (6 next week and 3).

We visited Adelaide as part of a whirlwind tour in October 2009, but didn't see enough to know where we want to live. Hence I'm only just starting the long process of looking into the options.

I expect I'll be posting a few questions over the coming months, and will appreciate all and any advice.

For the moment, some immediate advice for anyone just starting the process. Think carefully before committing to using a migration agent. If you're the kind of person that really doesn't like forms or process then by all means use an agent; however, I didn't use an agent and found the whole process to be manageable. The state sponsorship application was probably the most challenging aspect (but still relatively straightforward) and the electronic visa application to DIAC only takes a couple of hours to fill in. DIAC now allows you to upload scanned copies of your documents - I didn't need to post anything to them. Everything you need to know is on the DIAC website. I therefore feel that if you are confident that you are a straightforward case then just go for it and save the money for your new life in Oz.

Daren

Cheers, just waiting on that phone call, shippers came yesturday did a really good job-house now looks like the bailiffs have been in. Its funny going from a larger TV to the childrens portable dvd,takes us back.

if you have any questions you are unsure about just ask them on PIA, the site is fantastic and there is some really good people on here who are able to answer most things,

Enjoy the next few months and all the best

Andrew

Guest teresa lynch

Hi Darren

Congratulations on the Visa, we were granted ours just over 4 weeks ago and are now trying to sell our house. Have had a few shipping quotes and the seem to be comming out at £4000 ish for 830 cubic feet (Sole use of 20ft container) using a door to door service. I think we'll be using PSS (advertised on here) they have given great advice on money transfer, bank accounts for Oz ect and that was just at their quotation visit!

Where are you guys from?? As you can see we are from the South in kent.

Teresa

Guest Dazzlin

Ha, a useful way of breaking yourself in. From what I remember of the television stations in Oz, there's a reason Aussies prefer the outdoors lifestyle.

Guest Dazzlin

Hi Teresa, we're near Leatherhead in Surrey.I don't have any comparators for Adelaide but a mate paid £2.4k to move from London to Brisbane last year. They used Wentworth Removals and he rated them highly. He thinks(?) they had half a container.Daren