Recky or not?

Guest nurse matilda

Guest nurse matilda

Hi there,

Have not been on the site for a while, but my hubby and I are now back in full swing for our thoughts of moving to Australia. After some initial research we know that Adelaide is the right place for us but are not sure on the right area to start looking at.

We are planning on taking a holiday in October of this year for a recky, and starting the visa application process after that. My hubby, however, would like to start the application now and forget about the holiday, what would other people recommend?

Thanks.

Marianne & Gary

:confused:

Hiya,

We went in November for a look around and to have a look at hospitals (my husband is a nurse).

I guess it depends if you know whereabouts in Adelaide you want to live. We knew - so really there was just one hospital for us to look at as the others would have been too long a commute.

If you would be renting initially when you arrive in Adelaide then you can look around all the areas to see where you would like to settle then at your leisure rather than trying to cram it all into one holiday.

So for me I would just begin the application now but like i say - that is only because we know the area we want to live in. Dont know if thats any help to you!

Guest nurse matilda

Thanks for your reply, we have a couple of areas we are interested in right now, Hallett Cove or Seaforde. I guess we probably need to look further into the areas, but the renting is probably the best idea initially.

Have you guys started your application? What area are you considering?

Hi Marianne & Gary,

Welcome to PIA, it's nice to have you on board.

It all comes down to personal preference and affordability, we did the reccie in April just after our house sold, we have two kids so felt that it was more beneficial to go over and have a look with them and get their thoughts on the whole thing too.

There are plenty of nice areas for rental and purchase, have a look on this site for information on both.

www.realestate.com.au

Personally, I don't think it would do you any harm in gathering all the information that you need for the TRA, that way as soon as you are ready to fully start the process, you will be a bit further forward with the requirements for the paperwork.

Both Hallett Cove and Seaford and lovely areas, but you may change your mind once you are there. We had done a bit of research on Hallett Cove from home, then when we had a look at it were a bit disappointed, I don't know if we expected a bit too much, but anyway, after looking at a few other areas, thought Hallett Cove was the perfect place to be, but every other day, I am on the real estate sites and change my mind again and again depending on the house and the price.

So I think even although you have made a part decision on where you would like to be, it will change a million times until you are there and see exactly if it is the place for you to settle.

But, good luck to you in whatever you decide and keep us posted with your progress x

Dear Marianne & Gary

We started the visa application in August but still went on a reccie in October/November. I have to say it was only after the reccie that we really knew we wanted to come and I'm really glad we did it. There were differences between what we thought we'd like and what we actually liked once here (real estate/area wise) and we just found it helpful. Overall it wasn't at all what I expected and I'm glad I now have some idea of what to expect. Now as real estate here loses more value and the australian dollar gets weaker - we aren't quite so panicked as we realise that regardless of these issues, we want to be there. If we hadn't gone - we might now be saying that since it isn't as economically positive as it was 6 months ago - we won't go. We were in a situation where we had to apply prior to 1st Sept changes and we knew there would be quite a long wait. Now with processing times for post 1st Sept applications being shorter it might not be so necessary for you. However, if you can afford it - I'm all for doing it!

Liz

The reality is, a reccie can make all the difference between emigrating or not. I've had one guest who came over for a reccie and the family decided Adelaide just wasn't for them.

I've had another guest who emigrated over, lock, stock and barrel, without ever coming to Adelaide for a reccie. They did tons of research on Adelaide but when they got here they didn't like the place at all. Within 2 days they'd booked their return flights. They had the hassle of turning their container around and stopping their dogs from flying over! Not to mention the expense of selling their house and the visa process.

Fortunatly they are happy with their desicion not to emigrate, which I'm pleased for them, but it was one expensive event.

But thats only 2 out of the majority! Everyone else has stayed I'm happy to report!:D

Juid x

Hi, Marianne & Gary

going for a reccie has got to be the smart thing to do, I on the other hand have my visas, booked my flights, am working my notice at work and have accepted an offer on my house and have never been to Adelaide or anywhere in Australia:wacko::wacko:.

We are only going to bring suitcases with us so not much to organise if we do change our minds. If I had young children or a good career to give up I may have done things differently though.

I will let you know how we get on:)

Simon

Guest nurse matilda

Thanks to all for the advice, you've helped make our mind up to go on the holiday first! We will however, get started on pulling all info together ready for the TRA so that we are prepared to start the application as soon as we get back.

BTW, Roo1, we have just picked up the latest A&NZ magazine, it was a great article with some sound advice:notworthy:. We now have a good referral for property rental WHEN it comes to moving!!

M&G

Guest nurse matilda
Hi, Marianne & Gary

going for a reccie has got to be the smart thing to do, I on the other hand have my visas, booked my flights, am working my notice at work and have accepted an offer on my house and have never been to Adelaide or anywhere in Australia:wacko::wacko:.

We are only going to bring suitcases with us so not much to organise if we do change our minds. If I had young children or a good career to give up I may have done things differently though.

I will let you know how we get on:)

Simon

Hi Simon, good luck to you for being so brave! You've got Gary saying I told you so though!! Hope all works out for you would be good to hear how you get on.

Marianne